Skip navigation

Air Ride Suspension

Back to the top

Fitting Air ride to a MK1 Caddy

Hi
I am currently fitting Airlift Performance air ride suspension to my Mk1 Caddy.  I have looked around the internet and couldn't find any video's, pictures or anything about fitting air ride to a Mk1 Caddy. I know i can fit it all, but its nice just seeing what other people have done and get a slight insight into the journey of fitting it all.
 There are plenty of videos/pictures of it fitted and working, so i thought i'd try and capture what I'm doing. The problems, the ease, the quality etc…..i figured, if it helps people out, then its worth it.

I started off aproaching a local company who deal with air ride and asking them to supply me with the mk1 golf airlift parts, minus the rear struts of course. My plan was to make my own rear set up using a 4 link.  However, the guy at the company asked if i would run a prototype rear end for him if he designs and makes it, and i would get everything at cost price as a thanks.  He wants to make a reliable 'bolt on' kit he can post, so anyone with a Caddy can use it.  So far its looking good in the CAD drawings, using a WATS link instead of a 4 link, but its still in development stages, i will update as this progresses.

I have started a series of video's on YouTube of my journey fitting all this, hope they come in handy for anyone…

VW Mk1 Caddy Rabbit Air Ride Installation Part 1 - YouTube
https://youtu.be/ywpniUCK4rM
https://youtu.be/SHTU2VfgQaM

I have also started modifying the rear axle, this is just a personal thing to narrow it, my current wheel set up ran very close to the rear arches, so wanted a bit of clearance to play with.  I can always shim out with wheels spacers if needed in the future.

So here's some pics of what I've been up to if you cant be bothered with the videos.

airlift strut & caddy.jpg
front wheel.jpg
front mounted.jpg
Drill notching.jpg

front notch 1.jpg
hard lines1.jpg
rear mounted3.jpg

Back to the top
The beam was a bit tricky but got it done.  A previous owner decided to weld on drop plates, i think the welder he used must have been a catapult.  I ground the worst back then used Devcon, an aluminium putty, to fill and neaten the areas.  
I ended up taking 2 inches out of the center of the axle, this in turn gave me an inch each side of clearance.

rear beam cut.jpg
rear beam cut1.jpg
rear beam finish 1.jpg
rear axle prep.png
rear axle prep1.png
rear beam finish.jpg
rear axle in primer.jpg
axle painted.png

Back to the top
Iv'e just finished editing the next video of the install.  It covers the plumbing of the front air bags.  Hope its useful to someone.
VW Mk1 Caddy Rabbit Air Ride Install Part 4 - YouTube

Back to the top
Finally finished the whole set up now.  Rear suspension is on and its all working.  I just finished editing the final video of the install, covers rear suspension and running the Airlift Performance system for the first time.
VW Mk1 Caddy Rabbit Air Ride Install Part 5 Final - YouTube

More pics to follow.
Screen Shot 2017-06-03 at 18.13.51.png

Back to the top
Got a few more pics of the rear end install.
parts in car.jpg
Manifold.jpg
rabbit laid.jpg
rear left.jpg
watts link.jpg
at stoner.jpg

Back to the top
Good work!

I bought this system, an upgrade to a HAVAIR kit I had fitted a few years ago.

Fitted it at the weekend, and my word it is bouncy, even on soft settings, what is your experience?

R32GUY

1992 Rivage in Classic Blue Pearl "B16YUG" 2.0 TFSI, 6 Speed FWD with Quaife LSD, running on Air with sorted geometry and Eibach ARB's, G60 brake setup front and rear, 4x100 17" BBS LM's, Power Steering, Opening Quarter-lights, Mk2 electric recaros and the whole car trimmed by MJ Interiors in tan and Alcantara with a brown roof.

Back to the top
Oh yeah, its bouncy.  Was thinking of putting some accumulators in line to soften it a bit, but not got round to that yet.

Back to the top
I ended up raising mine and having less air in the bag to counter it... 30psi max

R32GUY

1992 Rivage in Classic Blue Pearl "B16YUG" 2.0 TFSI, 6 Speed FWD with Quaife LSD, running on Air with sorted geometry and Eibach ARB's, G60 brake setup front and rear, 4x100 17" BBS LM's, Power Steering, Opening Quarter-lights, Mk2 electric recaros and the whole car trimmed by MJ Interiors in tan and Alcantara with a brown roof.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.