Skip navigation

Gti fuel filter

Back to the top
Hi

The filter on my 1,600 gti looks pretty old and I thought it's time I changed it.

Question is what's involved as I've never done it before.

Ecp stock a Bosch one so I thought I would order that but before I do….what else do I need as I think I read somewhere about needing washers etc?

Pic of current filter for attention

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1991 Black Sportline 1.8 GTI Cabby - gone

1983 Papyrus Green 1.5 Auto GL Cabby - gone

1984 Nevada Beige MK2 Golf 1.6CL LHD Auto - gone

1981 Schwartz Black MK1 Golf 1600 GTI - gone

Currently Mk1less!

Back to the top
Yes you should use new crush washers, but years ago they used to be included in the Filter…. Don't know about now-a-days.

You can re-condition them, that is you sand them shiney
and smooth 400-600 grit wet/dry with water.  Holding then on the edge with a pair of pliers you place them in a flame until they change color, as this will re-annul them, and make them
re-useable… if the are really gouged, then you may want to source new….but I have taken gouged ones and shined them up to re-annul and they worked fine.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Gti fuel filter

Thanks

Are they the same size etc as sump plug washers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently Mk1less!

Back to the top
I thought that they are different sized, as there are 4 of them on the filter.

from the fuel in 049133696B 14,7X22 2 needed
from the filter to the cis box N 0138128 12X15,5X1,5  2 needed

VW Heritage shows including the washers with the filter.
https://www.vwheritage.com/893133511-filter-fuel-k-jetronic-1-8cc-mk1-cab-mk2-12-83-7-93

So, just check the filter before you order washers that you may or may not need :)

Last edit: by Briano1234

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
You also have the early smaller fuel filter, pre 84 cars are fitted with them. You can see the 17mm spacer screwed into the end of the filter, these spacers also make useful gearbox oil plug removal tools as they are long and fit nicely into a socket and stick out enough to fit into the gearbox level/drain plug. This only works if the plugs are not sized in as the spacers are not that strong as they have a hole through them.

Filter for £11.52 on this site.
http://www.vwspares.co.uk/g1filters.php

The link to VW heritage above is for the wrong filter.

Washers, yes 1 side is the same size as a sump washer and the other side is slightly smaller, 2 washers on each side are needed.

remove your petrol cap and put it back on to reduce any pressure build up before undoing the filter and have a cloth underneath the filter to catch any petrol spraying out and pouring out as there is a far bit of petrol in the filer, decanter petrol into a small pot and clean any oily bits around the engine bay as it's a great cleaner.

The car will struggle to start again once new filter is fitted as it needs to fill up with petrol first.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

mark1gls said

You also have the early smaller fuel filter, pre 84 cars are fitted with them. You can see the 17mm spacer screwed into the end of the filter, these spacers also make useful gearbox oil plug removal tools as they are long and fit nicely into a socket and stick out enough to fit into the gearbox level/drain plug. This only works if the plugs are not sized in as the spacers are not that strong as they have a hole through them.

Filter for £11.52 on this site.
http://www.vwspares.co.uk/g1filters.php

The link to VW heritage above is for the wrong filter.

Washers, yes 1 side is the same size as a sump washer and the other side is slightly smaller, 2 washers on each side are needed.

remove your petrol cap and put it back on to reduce any pressure build up before undoing the filter and have a cloth underneath the filter to catch any petrol spraying out and pouring out as there is a far bit of petrol in the filer, decanter petrol into a small pot and clean any oily bits around the engine bay as it's a great cleaner.

The car will struggle to start again once new filter is fitted as it needs to fill up with petrol first.

thank you mark1gls

That webiste is very useful and they do genuine Oil filters too. I thought they were obsolete now!

I ordered a filer from ECP, a Bosch one, which worked out similar cost wise as AWS. Thank you for the link however. I will use AWS in the future.

Currently Mk1less!

Back to the top
No worries, I use ECP as well as they have free delivery. AVS is great for genuine stuff and Quantum oil if you want to use the stuff VW used to stick in.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top
This thread prompted  me to change mine………shame on me I missed its 18th/21st and 25th Birthdays!

Back to the top
Glad it did, every 2 years or 20,000 miles is when you are meant to change the fuel filter.  :thumbs:

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.