Skip navigation

Switched live for radio - mystery solved

Back to the top
A while back I fitted a period-correct VW Alpha radio, with a new ISO connector block soldered in, new permanent and switched live feeds from the fusebox, and all was great, except that if I switched the headlights off, the radio switched off too! After much head-scratching, testing, measuring current etc, I resorted to Google, but restricted to our website. Thanks to posts by rubjohnny and others, I discovered that not all switched live spare spades on the fusebox are created equal! I had mine connected to G9 or G10. Connected to G5 instead (G2 in use already) and now my radio is on and off with the ignition key - hooray! And one more tip, don't forget that when you drop the fusebox to get to the connections on the back, it is upside down compared to the diagrams.:)Lee

1986 GTI Cabriolet ("dambuster")

2000 Mk4 Cabriolet Avantgarde (bought for the mrs)

2001 Zafira 1.8

Back to the top
Glad you got it sorted.  A good to use switched power source is any black/yellow wire, and I find the Defroster switch really easy to get to….

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
if you wanted it factory they are wired to pin SU on the ignition switch, usually the pin is there unused. need a standard 2.8mm latched spade and wire it direct to the stereo :)

its there for cabrio with power hood, us spec with lights on/seatbelt warning and possible all runout ones?

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.