Skip navigation

Where is 900 rpm??

Back to the top
Hi, could anyone tell me whereabouts 900rpm is on this dial?? And 950 rpm on this rev counter??    Trying to tune my mk1 golf gti DX. I've got it set to 6 degrees btdc but as idle speed increases the timing goes off. Just wanting to know what idle I should have it at and where that actually is on the dial?

Thank you

IMG_4492.JPG

Attachment
68 views (1.88 Mb)

Back to the top
Idle seems to jump about and sputter a bit at around 1000rpm. 

IMG_4495.MOV

Back to the top
IMG_4496.MOV

Back to the top
900 is just below the 1 mark, and above the one below it.  :)

If yours is a Digifant based, then the idle as well as the timing with a light will vary as you watch it, as the Digi is very reactive….

Once I have set Base time (static) cam at 0 crank at 0 and the Dizzy in the middle… Loosen the dizzy pinch bolt but don't move it….. I start the car and alow it to get to temp, and cycle the fan once….Then using the timing light and moving the diz I set it for 6BTDC.  I have noticed that the timing will move about a weeeeeee bit but that is Digi for you.  

Since your Gauge Faces aren't stock, then they could be off, or mounted off a wee bit as well.

So I would go by the timing marks.

Now on a digi car, there is a way to set 6btdc with a multimeter with the car not running.  Doesn't apply to CIS… Well CIS-e it will work.

Static Ignition Timing on VW A1 and A2 DigiFant Engines.

Which is really how I set mine now-a-days….

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
1 on the dial = 1000 rpm, 2 on the dial =2000 rpm, each line is 200 rpm.

The clue is writen on the dial 1/min x 1000

You tick over speed in the video looks about right, I run mine at about that level as when it goes lower things start to vibrate and rattle especially is you put lots of electrical things on and it drops even more.

Last edit: by mark1gls

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Guys you two have helped me with the car a lot already. Since you last helped I have fitted a four branch exhaust manifold and downpipe and I have cut the cap out of the bell housing and timed my engine to 6 degrees btdc with a timing light, whilst driving I'm still getting that annoying sound under load like a sewing machine or weed strimmer only when accelerating. 

Last edit: by HarrySzabo

Back to the top
Well as you're U.K. based I'm gambling that you don't have a Digifant II fuel injection
As they were fitted to late European models like mine and Brian's in the US etc…

So do look at the other points mentioned though!  :thumbs:

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
This is what I fitted IMG_4497.JPG

Back to the top

HarrySzabo said

This is what I fitted IMG_4497.JPG

How on earth did you get the ground clearance for the sofa?  :lol:  :$

Yeah well it is Friday evening over here!  :thumbs:

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
My house is full of car parts laying around. Literally got a room dedicated to them lol. Anyway yeah it's a k-jetronic 1.8 gti DX. My problem is it sounds like a sewing machine or a weed strimmer or a weed whacker as I think their called in the US.

Back to the top
IMG_4482.MOV

I haven't got any pictures of the new manifold on but the ticking sounds exactly the same as it did with the old manifold on if not slightly worse. Could my fuel mixture be out? 

Back to the top

HarrySzabo said

My house is full of car parts laying around. Literally got a room dedicated to them lol. Anyway yeah it's a k-jetronic 1.8 gti DX. My problem is it sounds like a sewing machine or a weed strimmer or a weed whacker as I think their called in the US.

We call them Weed Trimmers, String Trimmers…. Weed Wacker is a brand name….  :)

That is more of a whirrr sound than a tick, unless you are trying to wack a post or big WEED.

Look at your Belts…. Spray Soapy water on them as they are spinning to see if it changes… If it does, then you can have a belt too tight.  A Too Tight Timing Belt makes a Whirring sound to, which can take out a Tensioner…..

Every broken manifold I have ever had, and that is about 3 Cabby's and a Pissan Nathfinder   made more of a Whistle, (kind of like the whistle a old REAL VW bug would make.)

A tick is or could be a belt that is throwing cords, and that the cord end is slapping something, as well as Valve Lash, or rod knock… Bad Gas can cause weird noises as well.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

HarrySzabo said

IMG_4482.MOV

I haven't got any pictures of the new manifold on but the ticking sounds exactly the same as it did with the old manifold on if not slightly worse. Could my fuel mixture be out? 

I listened to the video, and didn't hear but a air impact….:)

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
IMG_2425.JPG IMG_2590.JPG IMG_2767.JPG IMG_2779.JPG
I paid around £400 to have my valves re-seated! And I changed the piston rings and bearings on the connecting rods myself so I really really really hope it's none of those cos Jesus it was hard to do on my back hahahaha 
That sound I mentioned is like when a strimmer is hitting hard weeds but slower haha or a sewing machine! I've a feeling it's running rich but have got no way of sniffing it's bum (testing the gas co) lol where should the co be in its range if I could get hold of a gas tester 

Back to the top
You really need to use a garage to check the CO as there equipment is much better than diy ones.
If you find a local friendly garage it only takes them 10 mins to set it up and get a reading so they may only charge you beer money?
I have a Gunson gas tester and it's about 1% out, when you need to set it to 2% to get the best running 1% out can make some difference. I use my Gunson one to get it near and when my car as an MOT they print out a report on the emissions so I can keep an eye on the CO. I've only ever adjusted my mixture on the Golf once when I rebuilt the engine and before that I'd not touched the CO for 15 years. The Gunson is really for my Webber carbed Scirocco.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top
So how do I go about resolving this 😂 
I'm losing it lol 
You've helped loads btw with all my engine rebuild all of you have and I'm grateful! 
It seems there are three variables, and I need to know what to set 1st 2nd 3rd ha
So there's the ignition timing to 6*btdc if running shell v power  which I am
The idle screw on back of the throttle body 
And the grub screw in the metering head C.O
If I change any of these though, the other is effected!
I turn the idle, my ignition timing becomes off
I turn the co my idle increases or decreases hahahaha 
Like which do I set 1st and so on.. 

Back to the top
Adjusting the idle speed should not affect the timing, I believe you have to remove the vac hose from the dissy and plug the end of the vac hose, if it's attached it will adjust the timing as you rev the car.

When you adjust the timing or mixture you will need to tweak the idle speed, so it's timing 1st, the set idle to 1000 ish then adjust mixture and then adjust idle speed again to 950-1000 rpm.

Back to the top
OMG, are those Bosch plugs…. If they are no wonder your having issues………… BOOOO BOSCH….

I got 2 sets of those once, 2 bad in one box and one bad in another ….. All this to finally find I have a bad plug wire…..

Not the First time or Manufacturer for bad plugs, got 2 sets in my 3500s Rover that got eaten by the engine. The entire plug save the nut  got ingested, and the the steel bits scared the cylinder walls that caused a Re-sleeve and rebuild…. That Champion Spark Plug company paid for….. Bad Manufacturing run…  2 bad plugs one in each box of 8, and I installed them on opposite sides of the engine… Each time… They failed within about a week after install…..Plus I got some monies for my inconvenience.

I was very lucky to have 2 identical cabbies to swap parts back and forth. Otherwise I would still be chasing MYARSE…. I now only use NGK, and the difference is Night and DAY……..

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
I've jut have my CO content reading. It came up with 0.20% is this lean ?

IMG_4503.JPG

Back to the top
Yes 0.2% is very lean, you really want 1.5 to 2%.
The haynes manual says 0.5% to 1.5% but I know rubjonny says 2% is what he would set his car and he knows his stuff.

More reading for you.
Fuel Injection - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.