Skip navigation

Mystery air

Back to the top
There's a little snapped pipe on the yellow black thing centre of screen air is sucking or blowing…don't know where it goes I think I snapped it taking carb off…any ideas  IMG_0291.JPG

Back to the top
I had to pull over today because in gear driving it was dying and going to stall but when I put clutch down I could rev it nicely but soon as in gear it wanted to die...I had bubbles in this pipe too

Back to the top

Back to the top
VW doesn't like Vacuum leaks…. Causes all kinds of issues including loss of brakes.  

Plug that hole.
Clean the Plastic with Alcohol.
Cover the hole with a small screw that has a large head, then slather it with 5 minute epoxy to seal…..

I know any vacuum leak on my last carbed car was a pain to find, 37 bazillion hoses (honda)… But I got er-fixed.  

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
IMG_0294.JPG

Back to the top
That's what everyone at work has been saying I thought it  obviously has a place to go or it will just be plugged up in the first place…I found driving while the chokers pulled right out house rental office move but then obviously I have high revs when I'm driving slow or clutch

Back to the top
There should also be a rubber bush with a bolt on it holding the air box to the metal bracket fitted to the cam cover,  in your picture it's near the letter K on the airbox. Without this fitted it will add strain to the rubber flange which the carb sits on and it can crack which lets to much air in the mixture or worse case the carb falls off.

Looks like this.
https://www.vwheritage.com/803121275a-rubber-mount-radiator-air-box-mk1-2-golf-caddy

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Ye iv just had to replace it and since then it ran good for a day but 2 days ago it's started to run lumpy in less choke is out I also replaced the bolt today

Back to the top
Ok fixed it....I bolted the air box down like was said above and it solved the lumpy running instantly haha

Back to the top
Might be worth having a look at the rubber flange which the carb sits on as they are prone to split if the carb and air box are wobbling around, if they split they let air in and the car runs leans so no power and cutting out.

Flange looks like this but different ones for different engine size.
http://www.classic-vw.co.uk/mk1--mk2-golf-rubber-carb-flange-mount-15---18-026129761a-7601-p.asp

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.