Skip navigation

Finally got a tin top

Back to the top
Ok so after a week of ownership I'm going to have to make a change to the suspension. The car is currently sat on AP coilovers and coltech top mounts, and drives great, apart from when negotiating speed bumps and pot holes of which there are thousands around here!

I'm looking at going back to standard dampers and springs to make it a more useable machine, are Bilstein B4 the best for that? What about springs?

I have some conventional dampers and springs that came with the car, so I'm going to try those for the time being however I think they are lowering springs but not 100% sure about that.

Are OE gearshift boots still available? I need to replace that too as it's split.

Back to the top
Hi Scott

Why don't you adjust the coilovers so the car sits higher maybe, try that before you remove them.

The other suspension I know very little about, but I suspect they will be lowering springs.

Hope that helps.

1991 Black Sportline 1.8 GTI Cabby - gone

1983 Papyrus Green 1.5 Auto GL Cabby - gone

1984 Nevada Beige MK2 Golf 1.6CL LHD Auto - gone

1981 Schwartz Black MK1 Golf 1600 GTI - gone

Currently Mk1less!

Back to the top
Hi Faz, I'll try that today and see how it goes.

Back to the top
You sold it Faz, what next?

Re the suspension, yeah just raise it up!

Or keep as is, and learn the ways of speedbumpinaloweredcarjitsu

Back to the top

Finally got a tin top

Roach said

I’m buying some bricks and mortar!

Having some work done at home so had to let it go. If I have some money left over I may buy a cheap 190e to cruise about in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently Mk1less!

Back to the top

P0jy said

Roach said

I’m buying some bricks and mortar!

Having some work done at home so had to let it go. If I have some money left over I may buy a cheap 190e to cruise about in!

Ah fair enough dude, I'm currently having footings done for my extension…. hoovers up the cash alright!

Back to the top
Well first job done! Complete gear shift linkage overhaul, used parts from Classic VW and it's now as good as new.

I've also raised the suspension but find that the rear is now too stiff, handle's well but very crashy over the bumps and pot holes. So this week I'll probably order some new struts and springs, any recommendations for decent stuff for road use? Preferably not too low!

Back to the top
B17LLE  this thread.

Currently Mk1less!

Back to the top
Well unfortunately she failed the MoT today. A couple of not so bad things like the horn only working in certain steering wheel positions and the brakes need attention.

Also the nearside rear inner arch is rotten, and it also failed on the emissions too.

Back to the top

Finally got a tin top

Oh no Scott. What a pain that is.

I hadn’t noticed any issues with rust when I had it. Must’ve been creeped in and become visible.

I always had it garaged.

That horn has been an issue in the past, it has a mind of its own lol.

Front brakes were overhauled last year, must be the rears now??

Currently Mk1less!

Back to the top
Hi Faz, I also didn't notice any nasty bits when I changed the suspension, so yeh I guess it's well hidden. I think it is the rear brakes, not that big a concern really, I'll just strip those and clean everything up.

I wonder what is going on with the horn, maybe a short circuit at certain positions of the wheel? I'll have the steering wheel off and have a look.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.