Skip navigation

Cablechange set up

Back to the top
I know this has been done to death, I'm using Corrado 02a shifter and box which is mounted inside the car. Tomorrow I'm paying visit to breakers , I  want to mount new setup in the tunnel as I want use centre consul, what shifters should I get? What cables? Should I change to 02J tower ? Can I get shifter and tower set up the 02J type from one model of car instead of parts from a couple of different models? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Cablechange set up

So I got the shifter and tower from a 2000 tdi golf, I'll have a look at the weekend. the bottom plate that's under the gearbox two bolts hold it in position.

Back to the top

Cablechange set up

Sorry pressed wrong button, anyhoo the plate underneath the tower sits into it. Should it have a bearing? Mine doesn't have a bearing

Back to the top

Cablechange set up

these are the parts I got the small piece that bolts onto the underneath of the gearbox didn't come with a bearing

Back to the top
I dont think it should have a bearing.....the shifter tower just slides into it to keep it secure.

Back to the top

Cablechange set up

Cheers mate ..the gear stick is off mk 4 golf , looks like I have cut piece of floor , anybody know where I should cut

Back to the top

Cablechange set up

been at this today. Wasn't too difficult a bit of toing and froing under the car it's catching on the bracket on the steering rack. No room for angle grinder have an air grinder somewhere

Back to the top
If your gear knob is too low i have a little tip to make the gearshift more comfortable; On mine i lengthened the shift lever as it was too low, then i fitted a tt shift weight to shorten the throw. The tt shift weight replaces the standard mk4/seat etc shift weight on the top of the gearbox. I think it only cost £20 odd  from Audi.

Back to the top

Cablechange set up

Cheers mate , can I cut a piece of the old rado shifter and weld it on? It's threaded is it same thread as mk1 shifter? What's part no. For shift weight?thanks

Back to the top

Cablechange set up

Best gear oil, just checking what's best oil I might as well change it while I m at it

Back to the top

Cablechange set up

Any idea what the part no. Is for the t.t weight?

Back to the top

Cablechange set up

These were the parts I bought to refurb my 02J tower

Mk 1 Helios Campaign, 2.0 16v G60

Build thread here

Back to the top

Cablechange set up

I think it's probably one of the £21-£22 items marked 'lever'

Build thread here

Back to the top
Sorry missed this. Not sure on the part number for the shifter weight; my cars in storage so can't check. If you go to Audi its the shifter off the 5 speed tt's. I think it was around £20-25.
Sorty I can't be more help.

Back to the top

Cablechange set up

Part no is 8NO 711 051 A

Build thread here

Back to the top

Cablechange set up

Thanks folks , my shifter is from a 2000 tdi mike. So that part no is good for that?

Back to the top

Cablechange set up

It fits onto the splined shaft which I think is common to all 02J towers-maybe someone else can confirm? I changed the cable ends/Bowden catches at the same time-basically everything on those receipts if you Google the part numbers. I bought the parts in Jan 2015, so hopefully the part numbers are still current.

Build thread here

Back to the top

Cablechange set up

Cool mike good stuff, I haven't driven the car yet just have change gear oil . But from inside it feels much tighter gearshift

Back to the top

Cablechange set up

Forgot to ask about the reverse switch on the tower I took it off it doesn't look like it would work with the 02a engine mounts, what is the best way around this?

Back to the top

Cablechange set up

I did a hydraulic clutch conversion, so I was able to cut the clutch cable bracket off the mount-is that where yours is fouling? I still had to trim the plastic off the plug but it's possible to get it to fit.
Reversing lights aren't an MoT requirement but it's obviously still preferable to keep things work king

Build thread here
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.