Skip navigation

MK1 values - £5000 required for restoration projects

Back to the top

2 x ebay sales

I know they may reappear and not actually sell (ebay being ebay) but two MK1 Campaign restoration projects made just short of £5,000 each.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-Golf-GTI-MK1-Campaign-BARN-FIND-classic-project-caddy-camper-rare-car-/162356100494?hash=item25cd2d7d8e:g:99AAAOSwEzxYYtpb&autorefresh=true

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1983-VOLKSWAGEN-GOLF-GTI-MK1-CAMPAIGN-WHITE-BARN-FIND-/182415128364?hash=item2a78c9f72c:g:KXEAAOSwjDZYcps6

Think this gives a good indication of where the MK1 market is, although the recent interest in 'barn finds' may have jacked up the prices of these two?

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top

Back to the top

Early-1800 said

I know they may reappear and not actually sell (ebay being ebay) but two MK1 Campaign restoration projects made just short of £5,000 each.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-Golf-GTI-MK1-Campaign-BARN-FIND-classic-project-caddy-camper-rare-car-/162356100494?hash=item25cd2d7d8e:g:99AAAOSwEzxYYtpb&autorefresh=true

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1983-VOLKSWAGEN-GOLF-GTI-MK1-CAMPAIGN-WHITE-BARN-FIND-/182415128364?hash=item2a78c9f72c:g:KXEAAOSwjDZYcps6

Think this gives a good indication of where the MK1 market is, although the recent interest in 'barn finds' may have jacked up the prices of these two?

In my opinion I think insanity O_o  has taken over when it comes to what people are willing to bid to buy rough looking mis-described tat! Its a crazy bubble that will leave a lot of burnt fingers. Great if you want to sell your rot box though :lol:  Trouble is it makes it harder and harder for the younger buyers to get hold of what we all enjoy, which is a shame.  

Back to the top
I recon you will see these reappearing on ebay as once the sell sees the car.

The white one- That is not a jacking point they have used on the ramp so that will also have a slightly crushed floor, I recon they did not want to use the jacking points as they have rusted away!

Just silly money for a rusty none road worthy car, there is plenty of other cars out there I would send £5000 on and could jump in, drive away and enjoy without spending other £5000 getting it MOTed…  :lol:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Think the white looked the better one apart from rank interior and hard to repair sunroof rot. But someone's looking at spending another £5,000+ and 100s of hours to get it looking something like a decent car.

Seems to be adding 'barn find' can double the value of a rough MOTless car.

Agree, if I had @£5K for a classic I'd be looking at something like this, pay and go :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/austin-mini-mayfair-1985-/152397186913?hash=item237b948761:g:B1kAAOSwA3dYe2ya

Back to the top
I noticed the seller of the silver one got bad feedback for not providing details and not refunding the deposit

Back to the top
The prices I have seen again are out of this world, as some think that because it is a "barn find" then it is worth a whole bunch.  

I have seen prices over here go from a couple of cases of Soft Drinks, to 12,000usd which is way too steep.

While I concur that a Mini would be nice, I grew up on the Austin Healey Sprites MK1 (1958, 1960) and a 67 MG Midget, as well as a Rover 3500s, and I would be more inclined to buy a Piece of my youth for that price, I just checked AutoTrader, and the prices for a 67Midget are out of the ball park, and more what they cost new or 5 times the value.  I know right now where a 1958, and a 1960 AHS (Bug-eye) are that are True Barn Finds, as they have been in Storage since the 70's.  They are 100 percent complete, and only one of them needs re-assembly, and the other a Brake/Clutch MC.   When I saw the Prices of those, I dam near flipped, as the 58 I bought running in 1972, I paid 50 Dollars for and it was a "Yard Find" Sitting behind a Farmers House, with Weeds as tall as the car, but they lost the "Key" for it and Hard Wired it.  Jumped the battery and it fired right up.
Yes it is sitting in a barn, Tarped Body work was finished in 73, the engine was bored,  new pistons, Crank turned and trued everything wrapped in grease and wax, then brown paper, and when I got my Midget, I kind of lost interest…so it has been waiting……all these years…..with my brothers 60, sitting beside it.

I want to believe that my Cabbies are worth more than I would like to think, but in reality I would be pressed to get 2500 for my Green one.  But my Blue, I figure I will be long gone before it is sold.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
if the bids are genuine then you cant argue with the prices as its an auction so set by what the buyers are prepared to pay, 5k for a project does seem a lot though

Back to the top
Hmmmmm
Mk2 Golf Gti, future classic as prices have gone up since I last bought and sold mine 6 years ago, paid £600 for one with 130,000 miles on the clock it drove it for 6 months service and tidied up some of the body work sold it for £1100.

£2000 will get you started in car with an MOT.

Advantages over the Mk1 Gti,
Power steering (later cars)
Electric windows (some cars)
Central locking (some cars)
Brakes with the servo on the drivers side.
Nice and quite compared to Mk1.
More room.

I wish I could of afforded to keep mine but having 3 cars to run was a bit much.  :'(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mk2-Golf-Gti-/262810077409?hash=item3d30b388e1:g:f1cAAOSw5cNYfL1b

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top

mark1gls said

Hmmmmm
Mk2 Golf Gti, future classic as prices have gone up since I last bought and sold mine 6 years ago, paid £600 for one with 130,000 miles on the clock it drove it for 6 months service and tidied up some of the body work sold it for £1100.

£2000 will get you started in car with an MOT.

Advantages over the Mk1 Gti,
Power steering (later cars)
Electric windows (some cars)
Central locking (some cars)
Brakes with the servo on the drivers side.
Nice and quite compared to Mk1.
More room.

I wish I could of afforded to keep mine but having 3 cars to run was a bit much.  :'(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mk2-Golf-Gti-/262810077409?hash=item3d30b388e1:g:f1cAAOSw5cNYfL1b

Hi Mark, like you I love the Mk2 :wub:  and in fact never owned a Mk1 until about 7 years ago…as were too expensive (relatively) back then for me.
  I bought my first Mk2 in 1990 it was a beat up 1986 with a Gti Engineering engine, and I loved it to bits and kept it 15 years. Meanwhile I kept getting offered and bought more  really good ones for between £400-£1200 and at one point had 7! Then of course there were too many :(  so I began to sell lovely 8vs16vs for 1/4 of what they are now making.
Still have 2, 8v Gti's inc a low mileage one and low mileage GTD which is fabulous.Also have a Mk2 Polo and a Corrado O_o, so its a bit of an obsession ;)   
I love the Mk1,and intend to hang on to it, but to me the Mk2 is the one I would always rate as underrated!.
So to keep to the thread(!) I reckon the amount of work needed is not taken into account when bidding on these Mk1  'barn finds' [-their more likely to have been MOT failures and were then dumped in the barn!] but of course there (appears) to be buyers and so if someone has the urge then these will sell for these prices-otherwise I suggest a solid Mk2 or that Mini would be a wiser buy.
Marcus.

Back to the top
:offtopic:How about a V8 Supercharged Jag, over 3 times the BHP, 0-60 in 5.4 seconds and all the leather and wood you want.

My brother has one and it's such a lovely car to drive and pulls like a train..  :ninja:http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201604132926717?advertising-location=at_cars&make=JAGUAR&model=XKR&radius=1500&postcode=ta117du&sort=price-asc&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&price-to=10000&page=1

Back to the top

sporttrucker said

if the bids are genuine then you cant argue with the prices as its an auction so set by what the buyers are prepared to pay, 5k for a project does seem a lot though
Yea that's what I was getting at in the original post, 2 x auctions give us an indication where the MK1 market is, but with proviso that half the cars on ebay don't sell and reappear….

It has been argued that the MK1 was the prototype and the definitive Golf GTI is the MK2. Bit bigger but not too large, more refined but not dull, fast enough and 40mpg, front subframe, PAS, front and rear disks that work, better rust protection etc

Still useable as a daily driver, not much you can't DIY repair with basic hand tools. If I wasn't traveling so much with work I'd seriously consider getting one instead of the daily Fester Diesel. Depreciation free motoring.

Back to the top
Mk1's still the original, doesn't really matter if it's worse than the 2 or not.  Yes the creature comforts on the 2 are nice but prefer the look and size of the 1.

Marc
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.