Skip navigation

Cabriolet Exhaust for Tintop GTI 1983

Back to the top
Just a quick one:
Will a standard Mk1 cabriolet exhaust system (downpipe, middle pipe, and back box) fit a 1800 GTI tintop?

Back to the top
Yes and no, I guess you have a smaller petrol tank and full size spare wheel? You will need to get a early cabriolet exhaust with the same size petrol tank.

Later cabriolet 1988> with the clipper body kit also had a longer tail pipe to clear the body kit.

As for down pipe which type of manifold do you have, 6 bolt type or toilet bowl with the C clips?

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Thanks for the info, think i'll opt for a new one to save opening up a can of worms with the used one i was looking at.
Thanks
Tony

Back to the top
On the 1.8 I have seen 3 types, Toilet bowl with c-clips, Single down pipe bolted (weak manifold and have had 3 that have cracked on me.) 4-2 manifold with dual down (stronger manifold more umph to your seat of your pants).  I have converted all of my cabbies either over to a header, or 4-2 g60 manifold and a dual down.  Better than listening to the cracked 4-bolt one…. although in 20 years of driving a toilet bowl I never had that manifold break… Had to replace the toilet bowl gasket a time or two.

As my one cabby has passed the age of emissions tests I have removed the cat and welded a straight pipe to it.

When this one passes its last emissions I have a Cat Delete Raceland header ready to install…

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
I fitted a Raceland manifold last year to my Mk1 Cabriolet Gti and I'm really pleased with the increase in performance at higher revs, it really pulls at 5000 rpm compared to the toilet bowl manifold I had before.

It's a pain to get the rest of the exhaust to fit without rattling as mine sit's a bit higher than the original but once set up with a standard exhaust system on the back it sounds alot fruitier.  :ninja:   

I wrapped mine to stop melting the steering rack boot.

£3 solders matt around the rubber boot.  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.