Skip navigation

m.k4 rear brakes

Back to the top
A fellow dubber has given me a set of reconditioned rear calipers from a m.k4 golf , nice chap. I was going to fit them to a cabby . I know they will fit , but cost wise is it worth my while using them? I need different handbrake cables than the scirocco cables right? also brake hoses are different?Anybody thats used these give me an idea of final cost for parts I need ? And a list of exactly what I need.Also are the parts available from a motor factors or say GSF or euro car part?

Back to the top
I'm just on with this although I've already got the mk2 disc conversion on.

Hoses are on eBay for £35
Not got a cheap price on handbrake cable yet £70 ish but check out gsf

Back to the top
Just my thoughts….why bother with discs instead of drums…

The only advantage I can see using discs and calipers is  the automatic adjustment is better on calipers.
No real need for calipers unless you have upgraded the engine and front brakes.

Drums will work just as well as calipers if properly adjusted and you are not using some cheapo rubbish brake shoes.  :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Agree you don't need them , but drums are just a complete pain, discs are so much better for general maintenance.

Back to the top
Cheers daz, any idea on the part nos. or what exactly to ask for? as regards drums v discs ,I have rear discs on my G60'd  Golf  and my mate has drums on his G60'd  Golf and there is no comparison.My car will stop on a dime and his would stop on the car in front or a hedge.

Back to the top
These are the hoses

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111746228204 

Not done much homework on part numbers for the cables but someone said on my "money pit" thread you need 16v scirocco ones which were only made for a few years but others have said mk2 can work or mk4 golf.

My calipers are turning up today so I'm going to do them first then do some more research into the cables.

What brakes you got up front?

Back to the top
 daz , 239m.m brakes up front.i used scirocco 16v cables on my hardtop golf,, i bought them in gsf many years ago. i'm not sure if they'll work on the mk 4 calipers though that ebay link isnt showing item, its sold out so pic is gone

Back to the top

Back to the top
Are you upgraded the fronts too?

Back to the top
Yeah it's the 16v cables you need.

If you get a part number let me know please

Back to the top
Alright Daz? found the receipt 3 April 2007 .wow didnt think it was that long ago .Bought from GSF their part ref. number is73132………..The OE reference number is 533 609 721 which are Scirocco 16V  87 to 92 .Now Daz these are the cables I used on my m.k1 hardtop with mk 2 Golf calipers .You'd wanna make sure they work with the m.k4 calipers,. yes gonna change front brake s too not sure to what though

Back to the top
Them numbers don't work on the online?

Got for 280mm fronts.

Have you done servo and master cylinder?

Back to the top
Heritage do them for £23 each so £46 total

Back to the top
Alright Daz,again that link doesn't work. Anyhoo those part nos should be good.I might go with G60 myself I think 256 brakes are harder to get .No I havent went near the brakes yet ,but i will be changing them.i  changed the M.C and Servo on my tin top along with four new calipers ,discs pads and goodridge braided hoses and ten years later there still great.15" wheels the only draw back ,but saying that 15" tyres seem to be pretty cheap to buy .

Back to the top
Type into eBay "mk2 mk4 golf hose" and they come up.

Back to the top
I'm just taking a 280mm brake setup off mine for a different 280mm setup that uses a bigger caliper but I'm running 260ish bhp so want to stop quick lol

Back to the top
alrite daz? been going thru your build thread there ,nice car ,White or black on m.k1 ,I reckon are the nicest colours then red and silver,sounds familiar the money pit x2.I know the feeling .Mind you I didnt have as much hassle.mostly  wiring loom issues.

Back to the top
Staying white now and making more original with badges and boot decal going on.

Hopefully next winter it will get a bare shell strip down and new panels where I can.

When I've died and my kids sell it someone will get a nice car lol

Back to the top
I've just ordered the handbrake cables from heritage and they are in stock.

Back to the top

m.k4 rear brakes

Alright daz? What part no are the ones you bought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.