Skip navigation

mk2 16v rear brakes onto a mk1 - Handbrake cables?

Back to the top
When I bought the car it came with another rear beam in the boot. Turns out it's a mk2 16v rear beam, complete with all the braking system

Couple of questions really. The stub axles appear to be straight bolt on to the mk1 beam. Will the system work? and if so, any suggestions as to which handbrake cables to use?

ta Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
the stub axles and everything else swap over, iirc you have to tickle the mk1 beam slightly to allow the stubs to sit flush, you'll soon see when offered up.

The scirocco 16v cables fit perfectly if the setup you have is from a pre-88 mk2 with 36mm piston calipers (they will have 36 or 38 cast into them) if later type and you mount them the right way up you may find the cables are a little short as the cables go on the bottom of the late type rather than on top like the early type.

on my mk1 cab I found this with mk3 calipers, to sort it I cut down the guide tubes under the car so they end up flush with the section welded to the pan. Worked out to around 10mm or so, you'll see what I mean! an alternative is pre-88 mk2 cables supposedly fit fine though I've not tried myself

I'd recommend mk3 calipers rather than mk2, they have a better handbrake design. check what you have they may already be mk3 type, if theres a spring on the handbrake lever they'reMK2, if not they're mk3

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.