Skip navigation

Pierburg 2e Carb Help.

Back to the top
After some of your help or advice.

I have not owned the car for too long.  When I got the car the idle speed was very low and I adjusted it using the nut on the back of the 3/4 pot, the rod was extended out from the 3/4 pot then and never seemed to move in.  When I was doing this I noticed some petrol leaking through one of the gaskets.  it smelt like it was running rich but thought nothing of this and there was no smoke from the exhaust.

I brought a gasket kit for the carb from VW Heritage to and opted to change them all.  Whilst it was off I took the opportunity to replace the vacuum hoses.  The car was running a little lumpy before I started but not smoking.

When I refitted everything and started it up the 3/4 pot rod is just sucking in hard and staring there.  The adjuster screw on the back appears to do nothing and the car has a constant amount of white smoke now.

Any ideas or input would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

Back to the top
Can help with the carb but white smoke from the exhaust is normal at this time of year as its water evaporating in the exhaust as its getting colder and damper at night. It should stop when the exhaust gets hot but you really need to take it out for a drive for this to happen.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Hopefully that's the case with the white smoke.  Really struggling to find anything definitive on the carb doing my suede in!

Back to the top

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Thank you soo much!! Will start at the top and work my way through checking everything is spot on.

;)

Back to the top
not a problem! great carbs if you can get them working tip top. if you wanted to delve even further in my signature link there is a haynes carb pdf document which covers all the internal mechanism calibrations if someone has been in there and messed it up before you :)

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Sorry for being so distance life is moving too fast at the 9 :( moment and haven't had chance to get back to her.
;
White smoke cleared on a run phew!  When she's been running for about 5 mins she just cuts out.

Back to the top
My wife's car is a 1990 Golf cabriolet which we took to Cyprus in 2014.  Due to illness, it has done about 300 miles in the last few years (and only about 55,000 miles in total).

The carb is leaking fuel onto the exhaust manifold and the village mechanic says that it needs a "gasket kit".  I believe that the carb is a Pierburg 2E2.

Heritage are out of stock but there is this kit on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-T25-T3-Carburettor-Rebuild-Kit-Pierburg-2E3-2E2-Repair-Service-Gasket-A10-11/151734901960?epid=1995328838&hash=item23541adcc8:g:TYsAAOSwJBBZlJIB&shqty=1&isGTR=1#shId

I am assuming that this will be suitable for the caddy but I thought that I would check with forum experts!  What do you think?

Back to the top
Not 100% sure but I would guess it's the right kit if it's for a 2e2 Pierburg carb.

If you can post up a picture and we should be able to tell or look carful at the carb and usually says what it is on it.

Another cheaper option is buy some gasket paper and make your own, assorted thickness paper is £2.80 but you will only be able to make the gaskets and the kit includes a lot more stuff to service the carb.
Pierburg carbs are tricky to work on and get running right unless you know what you are doing, that is why most people change the carb for a Webber as it's simple to set up and work on but the Pierburg is a much better carb.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GASKET-PAPER-MATERIAL-OIL-WATER-RESISTANT-FLEXOID-5-X-290MM-X-180MM-SHEETS/143253151953?hash=item215a8da0d1:g:44EAAOSwjkxbftX0

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Thanks for the suggestions.

I am away from home at the moment so cannot post a picture.  My Haynes manual suggests it is a 2E2 and that is what I am ssuming.  The Clipper was manufactured in 1989/1990 and the engine is an EX………

Dismantling a carb is beyond me which is why I am relying on the village mechanic;  if it was an external gasket then your suggestion is a great idea!

Thanks,
Marc
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.