Skip navigation

Drive trouble after hitting pot hole @ 10MPH

Back to the top

vw golf 1.5 auto gls

Hello All
After hitting a pot hole with the f/n/s wheel the car has sounded horrible. the pothole was so deep the car grounded on the plate in front of the auto box & stopped dead. There is a knocking noise that matches the wheel speed. sometimes when in reverse the car will stop as if i've hit a wall. only time I've had this is when a driveshaft cv come off. cv's seem fine. I've jacked both wheels up & with the car in drive or reverse only the f/n/s wheel is powered. the o/s/f seems to coast round & can be stopped by hand. could it be the diff? never played with any gearbox before but up for the challenge.
Any ideas greatly received.
cheers in advance
Andy

Back to the top
How did you check the CVJs? It does sound like it might be these or the diff, did the car drop any oil either at the scene or subsequently? The diff (final drive) has its own oil supply in it, different to the auto trans fluid.

Once you've found out the extent of the damage, you should be able to claim off the council or whoever are responsible for maintaining the roads, a pothole deep enough to damage a car is obviously unacceptable. Worth revisiting the scene and taking some pics with a ruler in the hole, etc and recording details for a possible subsequent claim.

Back to the top
thanks for such a prompt reply  paul. CVJ'S were checked by generally pulling them around & being as rough as i could with them. no oil leaking but how do i check the diff fluid level?
Good idea about claiming. I will do that asap.
cheers again

Back to the top
There's a plug on the side of the diff (and a drain plug). To check the level, clean up the surrounding area and remove the side plug, oil should be on the edge of dripping out, if not then add a little until it does drip out.

I'd suggest driving the car forwards and backwards in tight turns, this normally reveals diff issues, I am thinking you might have cracked the casing - if so then its new gearbox time.

Back to the top
PS it will also reveal CVJ issues (driving in tight turns).

Back to the top
I had a problem with my cv joints making a knocking noise which was like someone hitting a tin drum. It would increase with the speed of the engine but would not make any noise when you went round a corner.
Andy

Back to the top
Hello All, sorry I'm slow with replies but work has got in the way. I checked both CV joints by reversing with full lock. no noise
1st gear with full lock, no noise
I think the noise is when i get into 2nd or 3rd gear (only a 3 speed box).

Back to the top

Drive trouble after hitting pot hole @ 10MPH

Right, I found a replacement auto box on Facebook & changed out my old one. Removed the diff cover to discover broken teeth from the main drive.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.