Skip navigation

Mynx the Tintop 1400 16v afh bike carb'd restomod

Back to the top

Back up and running and for sale!

So seeing as Ujum the Invincible is going to take ages and I also have a garage to build to complet the resto in, I thought I'd be sensible and buy another one as well.

A quick project was the thought

A proper barn find. Looks ok don't it?

Erm I think it might be missing a bit

Still currently in said barn, but all bought and paid for. Just sorting delivery……………………………………..

O_o :o :thumbs: :thumbs:

Last edit: by borednow

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Hard to tell but it doesn't look to bad as you say.  :thumbs:
That should keep you busy for a while I bet!  :lol:

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
Yarp I reckon so mucker.

Seems to be completely solid so lets hope so. It was blue originally but has had a black flash over. I just hope it's not hiding too much.

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Looks good matey. Look forward to the updates 😎

Back to the top
Cheers Mate.

Should be interesting!

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
So most Bank Holiday Mondays involve sleeping off the night before, a well deserved lie in and luxuriating in your stinking pit till at least midday…………..or is that just me?!
Especially as I spent the weekend working a playing with 1000t cranes and building bridges.

However the very nice chap I bought this golf from is building up his own business and has been so busy that the arranged delivery hasn't happened. As such I received a phone call yesterday 'you ready for delivery of the golf?', to which I, of course, replied 'Yarp!!'
'Slight problem though' says Ollie, 'Oh yeah?', 'Yeah, it's gonna have to be about 7am on Monday'

Dagnammit!!!!! So much for my lie in!

Keen readers and followers of the Cornish Division and our shenanigans may be aware that my Brother-in -law (Kamikaze Cabby) is currently resto modding his Cabby at my place, plus he bought himself another Caddy the other day that's also residing at my place. Add this to Clive (the wifes cabby) and Ujum the Invincible awaiting full welding and the drives beginning to look like a car lot!

Luckily I awake to find the Sun has risen, not a cloud in the sky and of course it's quiet at Stupid O'Clock on Bank Holiday Monday, can't beat early mornings can ya? So Ollie and his Delivery Driver (read Father :lol: ) arrive with the golf on the trailer. Excellent.

Hmmm, dodgy hoody type bloke! At least he's dropping off not 'picking up'!

Car duly, easily and painlessly unloaded and pushed into the drive. Sorted. :thumbs:

So what have i bought? Thought I'd better have a good poke around as the last time I saw it it was in the dark, cold, stinky, wet barn…………

Barn Find Spiders

Barn Find Chicken Poo

Barn Find mouse nest

and lots of hand prints!

It's straight though!

Built in West Germany, I love all the history that's associated with that tiny statement on the badge! If you don't know what this means go and ask your Dad! :lol:

I knew that it's been painted and wasn't the originally black and I knew it'd need some work. These are the worst bits. I wonder if it might be possible to blend some paint back in?

Does need a bit of love around the rear valance

Obviously missing the engine, but also,drive shafts and mounts :( Oh well the search for parts begins! :thumbs:Looks nice and solid though

Dink in the leading edge of the bonnet

HOLE!!!!!!!!! :o

Interior is a mostly there. Is it strange that I quite like the seats? :lol: Luckily they've been bolted to the floor so at least the original runners are still there and good. I'm especially glad that the air freshener was included! Got a 4 button steering wheel and clocks with Rev Counters. Obviously not standard on a 1.1 'C'. Along with the arch extensions and tarantulas looks like someone was building a GTI out of it.

There are a couple of extras I've noticed! Obviously there's a spare beam in the back. Mk4 with discs and calipers, and after having a scratch at the grill…….

There's also some VW11 calipers in the boot too, plus a spare set of drums, new master cylinder, bigger servo and a couple other bits and bobs :thumbs:So next job? Build the garage so I can build this one up O_o:lol: 

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Great read that, cheered me up no end this morning.  :)

As it stands it takes the 'Rat' look to a whole new level!  :lol:  :thumbs:

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Mike

001.JPG       

Back to the top
Looks like a great start to a project  :thumbs:  your driveway is very impressive  :lol:

Matt

Back to the top

Golf Cabrio said

Great read that, cheered me up no end this morning.  :)

As it stands it takes the 'Rat' look to a whole new level!  :lol:  :thumbs:

Rat look! Tee hee, very good mucker.

Glad to be of service ;-)

pazwaa cheers mate. Glad I've got nice neighbours!

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
so then 'what you been up to with this impressive project then Ian' I hear you ask?

I'm glad you asked!  ;)

Decided to have a move around on the drive and in the garage. The Corolla crash Project is complete and back on the road for my daily, Bro-in-Laws Cabby is moving under it's own steam, one of his caddy's is gone, but a mates Merc failed the MOT so he's braking it at mine.

So with the Derby safely ensconced in a mates garage the Black one got moved to the garage!

Bonnet removed and engine bay inspected. Nice and solid (even where the mouse nest had been!) just lots of black everywhere

Just got to remove all the black underseal spread everywhere!

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
So nipped out to the garage and sorted it

nah not really, it took three goings over with a pressure washer and 3 days of white spirit and rags to get it all off! At least it's done it's job and kept everything reasonably nice!

Chasis legs nice and clean

bit blurred but you get the idea

Obviously I've also removed the battery tray (going in a box in the boot) the rad bottle (going with a top fill) and the windscreen washer bottle (erm not sure about this yet!) and the wiring loom (this will be getting tidied and stuff I don't need removed, lengthened and tucked away somewhere), the brake bar and servo will also be going and I'll be running a 25mm master cylinder direct on the bulk head.

Also removed the seats as I'll be going for something else. Floors look ok but I've got some holes from the install of the other seats to remove

Hmm wiring loom to sort out

As it's my birthday today and after weeks of sunshine here in Cornwall it's finally raining so I'm going to spend the day welding up some holes! Wish me luck!

Still unsure on a colour as it definitely needs painting. Any suggestions?

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
I really like the blue, build a sleeper :ninja:

Back to the top
Wow, you've got yourself a solid find.

I love your driveway full of mk1s too  :wub:As for the colour, I really like Lido Green on a mk1.

Back to the top
Bet that was a fun job!!  :lol:

Looks really solid - liking the bue too  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
It's coming on a treat  :) and sorry I missed your birthday mate.  :$  

So a very happy but belated BIRTHDAY! :thumbs:

OLD.

Mike

001.JPG       

Back to the top
GTI_Jim  hmmm now there's a thought.

mike.d1979  thanks mate. Costs a bloody fortune tho! Lido Green? Quite like that one myself. Seen mk1 polo's in Lido but not a golf. Hmmmm. I have been wondering about Inari Silver. It'd match my Derby too then  :lol:

Hairyarse  Yup lots of fun. The main problem was getting it off me afterwards! I love bathing in white spirit  :P

golf Cabrio  Ahhhhhhh! Aren't you just the sweetest!  :$

So to progress!
Yup there has been some. Problem is when welding up holes there is literally nothing to see afterwards. I have to keep going and looking at another one to see how I'm getting on  :ninja:

Please bear in mind that I'm also learning to weld during this project. Having never welded anything other than a dirty patch on Clives cill to pass an MOT.
Nothing like teaching yourself a new skill!

So to the piccies.
There was a split in the area around the clutch cable as usual but i decided not to plate it up. I'll add some strengthening strips inside the car at a later date

Obviously needs to be ground down and finished, but no light appears from either side so it would appear to be fully welded.

Hole on the Pass side inner wing completed

I did set fire to some of the underseal on the inside of the wing in the process. Which was a bit of a pain as the inner arch liner was still in place. It must be the quickest jack up, wheel off, liner out job in the world! All whilst being covered in acrid smoke  :thumbs:

Also completed the removal of holes in the slam panel

Once I decide on a radiator and get that installed the rest will probably disappear at that point. I'm after a top fill with a push fan, so if anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it!

A couple of the holes in the top of the rain tray have also been made to vanish

The paint I had mixed seems to match quite well. It's just being covered at the mo to keep any flash rusting to a minimum, once a coulor is decided upon it'll be a case of having to go over all of it again…..maybe.

Thanks for the comments so far chaps. Always appreciated!

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
That welding looks pretty decent. Anyway if you mess it up, just grind it off and start again

Sent from a phone, please excuse all the medium steaks. Stupid autocorrect!!

Back to the top
It's looking good mate so nice and slow! 😀👍

OLD.

Mike

001.JPG       

Back to the top
So I've been cracking on with stuff plus a lot of thinking

As this 1400 16v isn't done too often I've been researching more and more. I think I may just have confuddled myself even more tbh! :lol: still i'll work it out eventually!

So welding on the bay is done (yay) :cool: Just waiting on the arrival of a new compressor (please, please Santa, I've been (mostly) good this year:P) so I can get into some tight spots for the final bit of grinding and smoothing.

So I thought I'd move on to the next bit. Got myself a Cupra R Master cylinder and managed to get it to fit. Just a bit of fabrication needed to get the peddle pushing bit to work properly and we'll be there with that. O_oPicked up some seats from a good friend who thought of me when he found these knocking about. Only £20!! Bargain of the   build so far

Started stripping off the paint from the block, stripped and etch primed

Then I got bored as it was taking frickin ages. so moved over the gearbox. Bought an entire 1300 GT engine from a chap just to get the 8P gearbox :lol: so if anyone wants a freshly re-built GT engine from a mk2 polo let me know:thumbs:

I've also got a 'spare' 1400 sat around in case of needing bits of it. So I thought I'd see if it fits

Yup. Sitting on three mounts so I can fabricate the passenger side one. Dip stick looks like it might catch the underside of the bonnet. So i figure I've got 2 options - 1, cut a hole in the bonnet (at least I'd be able to check the oil level without opening it), or B, chop down the dipstick, the dip stick guide and fabricate a nice new shiny knob for it. Thoughts? ;)I still have no idea as to what colour to paint this thing, so I've been playing

Quite liking the silver an blue actually :PThanks for reading :cool: 

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
I think someone did a silver and blue MK1 on here before, lord knows how to find it though! lol

Keep up the good work ;)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.