Skip navigation

What radiator do you have in your 16v?

Back to the top
I've got a 2.0 16v in my mk1 which runs the original 1.8 8v radiator.

My car has always run quite hot, I've never had any real problems but the needle on the  gauge tends to sit over the half way mark and if it's a hot day and I'm driving in town it gets even hotter. I does kind of worry me at the time to see the needle get so high.

I believe the 16v engine in the mk2 Golf had a slightly larger radiator which was double cored to obviously cool the engine down much better. I also read that anything other than a genuine item isn't as efficient, is that right?

I'm in the process of overhauling my cooling system and thought I may aswell look into other radiator options so I'm interested to know what other people are running and how good or bad they find them at cooling the engine.

Cheers

Back to the top
the 16v rad is actually smaller than the 1.8 8v, but double cored as you say.  the 1.8 8v rad is plenty good enough for a 16v, but if yours is a single core unit that'll be why I noticed the very same issue on my mk1 16v.  If it is a double core it could be its blocked or some other issue with the cooling system:
http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?145091

If you do need a new rad get yourself a new 1.8 GTI 8v double core rad and all will be well. I've got one in my mk2 and its been fine with the 1.8 8v, 2.0 8v, 1.8 16v and 2.0 16v engines I've fitted :)

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Cheers Jonny. I'm hoping that one its all back together with its new parts it'll be fine. I contacted the previous owner and he said that the radiator that's in it is a 16v one purchased from GSF, it doesn't look all that old actually. He also mentioned Millers Extra Cool which I'd never heard of, any experience with that?

I used your cooling guide a couple of years ago on my mk2, very helpful.

I've just noticed I posted this in the wrong section 

Back to the top
if he got the rad from GSF it may well be a 1.6 one, many places sell these as 16v units but they are inferior parts.

addign random additives wont really help, you may see a slight difference but if its runnign as hot as you say it probably wont be enough.

I've never had to mess about with any aditives on the 1.8 8v GTI rads, just use the std 50/50 mix of water and VW/Febi g11/12/13/13+/++/+++ etc

Back to the top
Hi, I have recently got a KR converted mk1 and i want to replace coolant hoses and rad. The rad is small.
Where is the best place to get the dual core 1.8 one from?
Do GSF do it?
Or am i better to go somewhere else like VW heritage etc?

Back to the top
its dead easy to find, look at 1.8 8v MK2 golf you cant go wrong. hoses you need mk1 1.8 to match it, fan shroud 1.8 mk1/2 golf.

hella brand is pretty cheap on ebay, or nissens is good stuff. should be able to pick one up around £50 or less

Back to the top

Back to the top
yep that will do you fine :)

only issue I had with hella rad on my mk2 is the mounting slot i needed was blanked so had to cut the slot open if that makes sense? may not be an issue in a mk1

Back to the top
Conversely I opted for a All aluminum radiator, as it was one less plastic part. It had a thicker core that the OEM and unlike the earlier ones my Cabriolet was Pin Mounted, and fit well.  

The Caveat is that it had bosses for screws on the front side that I had to trim off so I would have no rubbing between my Radiator and my A/C condenser.

old one vs new.

I do know they used to make a solid aluminum one with the bolt mounts…

Since the Core was wider I had to remake my upper radiator card.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.