Skip navigation

Trading a 964 for a MK1 Gti

Back to the top

Advice needed

Hey guys,

I've been a long term MK1 fan but never yet had the privilege of owning one. The time has now come to sell my Porsche 964 and say goodbye (for now) to my rennlist friends in order to free up some funds for a house renovation, but as a man needs multiple projects I've convinced myself to finally get a MK1 GTi with some of the Porsche proceeds. Problem is, I'm not entirely sure what to look out for, what money I should look to spend etc.

I'm more than happy to get stuck in with all sorts of work, and intend to use this car to improve my knowledge of engine work, and possibly even welding. I have no time limit for doing any work but want to end up with an original-ish (i.e. lowered/nice wheels etc!) rust-free GTi with a rebuilt standard engine, with future consideration towards a 1.8T or similar swap. What I don't want is to buy a total rust-bucket that needs replacement panels which take years to find.

The car will be for fun only, not a daily driver, possibly the occasional show.

So, if you can answer any/all of the following I'd be most grateful:

What is a reasonable price for a starting point, considering the above?
Are there any models (i.e. celebration) that I should go for if funds allow - bearing in mind that all/most mods will be reversible?
Rust - what should I look for in particular, what panels/body parts are particularly hard to get hold of/replace etc?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to more involvement in this great club once I get my hands on the car.

Cheers

Back to the top
hi and welcome to the site

do you have any pictures of the 964?

there is a buyers guide on the homepage that has alot of the rust spot noted in there and also otherthings to lookout for

is it a hatchback your after or a cabriolet?

Banner

Back to the top
Welcome :)

As above the buying guide is quite comprehensive but if you have any concerns before or after viewing post up for some opinions.  Good luck with your search!

Banner

Back to the top
thanks guys, will check it out

link to my porsche sale advert here:

Porsche 911 [964] cars for sale - PistonHeads UK

Back to the top
....ps looking for a hatchback

Back to the top
nice

Banner

Back to the top
that is a great page for us newbies, thanks for the heads-up.

If any Surrey-based MK1 owners are reading this and are willing it would be great to meet up and talk all things Golf related, its been almost 20 years since I was last in one so I want to catch up again as much as possible before I buy.

Cheers

Back to the top
so whats your budget? to spend (if you dont mind me asking)

Banner

Back to the top
All depends on the Porsche sale I guess. If it doesn't sell I'll hang onto it for a bit, if it does I'd be happy to depend around £4k on a mk1 to start with. No fixed budget over the build, especially as I don't mind too much how long it takes

Back to the top
for that sort of money you can get a nice example of a golf gti really if you hang on and buy the right car

there are alot of lemons out there that have had a new coats of paint over tons of filler but i'm sure you'll be able to spot them a mile off really

Banner

Back to the top
HI welcome along!

As above really…… 4k is a good budget.
Are you after any model? for that money you could get a near on mint 80's 4 door GL or something similar.
Could get a tidy GTI too.

The 70s cars are a bit more but you could still get a decent one :)

Keep an eye out in cars for sale and get an advert up in the "Wanted" section.

Scott

South West Regional Host

Previous;
1991 Clipper, 1978 S1 GLS, 1983 Type25, 1989 Clipper GTI

Current;
Zero, zilch, nought, zero, nothing….

Banner

Back to the top
Cheers Scott, I'm hanging back on buying until the Porsche sells but when it does I'll be looking for a gti. I think realistically (looking at some if the work that goes even into the 'easier' engine upgrades) that I'd like to start with a rebuild and refit of a standard gti engine, I'm really looking forward to getting stick in and doing as much of the work myself- something I didn't feel comfortable doing on the Porsche engine.

Back to the top
After delayed sale of previous project car, house move/renovation etc, I've finally managed to get a GTi, from fellow member Waj (great guy).
Beyond excited for its arrival tomorrow morning! Pics and plans to follow….

Back to the top
I'm glad she has gone to a good home…keep me posted on the progress!  ;)

Back to the top
3 year bump… welcome back mate.
Let's have some pics please..

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
Thanks mate - I've started a restoration thread in the projects section on this forum - "Sally Cinnamon…." 
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.