Skip navigation

MK1 Golf GTI 2.0 TFSI Edition 30 p12 (was 2008cc R1 bike carbs)

Back to the top

1983 Lhasa Green MK1 Golf GTI

Before and after! Two gearboxes into one!

As a bonus the 'donor' gearbox came with 100mm driveshaft cups. :thumbs:

And after!

Back to the top
New CV boot now fitted to the late spec 100mm cabriolet drive shafts.

Even though they were in good condition, I also sanded down and recoated the driveshaft with three coats of black POR-15, which provides excellent rust protection as well as being resistant to chipping and flaking, so should last for many years to come.

Back to the top
Gearbox now filled with VW Genuine 02j-b Oil.

Factory oil is approximately 1.9/2.0 litres for the 02j / 02s gearboxes.

A common issue is 6th gear failure issue due to lack of oil. This can be prevented by using 2.5 litres, so the gearbox was tilted to one side when filling, otherwise the fill level starts to drip at 2.0 litres.

Back to the top
Nearside driveshaft fitted with a shorter 129mm CV Joint and refitted to the hub and gearbox, this just creates a bit more space compared to the standard 139mm CV joints.

Back to the top
Using an engine support frame makes reinstalling the gearbox much easier, especially when an 02S with a Quaife are approximately 45kg.

Back to the top
Using the excellent Diesel Geek video on how to align the cable shifter on an 02J gearbox, cables have been re-adjusted and checked.

Testing, testing.. 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 gears!

youtube link: https://youtu.be/8lDnSKwuGK4

Back to the top
Hopefully this maybe be of help to others.

Following on from the above post, I quickly found out that the alignment was not 100%, as I could not engage reverse!

What I found is in the Diesel Geek video, it suggest pushing down the shifter a 1/4" and then shifting into gear and then removing the slack, however I found I needed to push down about an inch to make sure I was in 1st, rather than 3rd, possible related to being a 6 speed internal perhaps?

2nd alignment attempted and now I have reverse gear too!  :thumbs:

Back to the top
It's very well documented that the 02s six speed gearbox does not have a speedo cable hold, however if you use the 02J casing this means you can plug and play the speedo cabling straight into the MK1 clocks, by using a MK1 1.3 Golf speedo cable. Don't you just love VW parts for being able to do this :wub:

Back to the top
It's all about those OEM+ looks.

MK2 Golf GTI 16v 160mph clocks with VSS digital speedo output retrofitted into mk1 dashboard.

Back to the top
A little bit of servicing this week. Genuine replacement 'R8' coil packs installed. It's good to see that the donor engine still had genuine VW coil packs, albeit stamped Sept 07.

So to be on the safe side to prevent misfires new coil packs now installed.

Back to the top
Job for the weekend to swap out the lower strut brace for a four point strut brace. Hopefully this will help tighten up the front end a bit more.

Back to the top
One of the big challenges of a TFSI conversion is how to  run original clocks on an ECU and wiring loom that mostly uses CANBUS to communicate to the Instrument  Panel. My previous posts covered the VSS and canbus revcounter, both straight forward.

But what about the fuel gauge? I have used the full MK5 Golf TFSI fuel pump and fuel sender into a modified fuel tank, so how do you retrofit the MK5 fuel gauge to feed the  fuel gauge on the MK1 clocks?

It's fair to say I now have detailed knowledge of MK1,MK2 and MK5 wiring. Below are the two MK5 circuits and I simply needed to tap into the MK5 Golf fuel sender earth to feed the violet/black wire to the MK1 clocks. Fuel gauge resistant has been mapped using an off the shelf microprocessor converter and bingo dual fuel gauge!

EDIT: Sorry I mean MK2 16v clocks rather than MK1 clocks, but essentially the wiring colours and connections are the same the both the MK1/MK2 fuel gauge.

Back to the top
So effectively the brown/blue wire pin 5 below.

Connected up to T14/3 li/sw on the MK1/2 fuel gauge.

Back to the top
Below is version two of my home fabricated MK1 Golf TFSI downpipe and exhaust.

The first version mocked up included a connecting joint that bolted together at the bottom of the downpipe and before the 2nd o2 sensor. This made fitting the downpipe a breeze, but I couldn't get a 100% seal on the joint.

The major issue being that even the smallest of air leaks in the joint was affecting the fueling as the o2 sensor was detecting a lean mixture causing misfires. TFSI are super sensitive to any uncontrolled air leaks.

Version 2 is now fully welded without a joint, a bit of a pain now to fit, needing the car jacking up as high as possible, but instantly resolving the current idle issues and misfire. Hopefully this is useful info for anyone else experiencing similar issues.

Spec is full 3" stainless decat downpipe retaining both o2/lambda sensors and then heat wrapped to prevent the steering rack boot from melting(!). There is also a middle supporting bracket welded to the middle section to support the weight.

It may not look too special, but the shape has been carefully designed to tuck in between the steering rack and four point lower strut brace and then angled to clear the cable change gearbox. Fitting a 3" system to a MK1 is more complicated than you may think  :thumbs::lol:

Last edit: by Lhasa2008

Back to the top
Finally found time to fit the Sayner Works lower strut brace. Great bit of kit, direct fit and plenty of clearance for 02j/s gearbox and 3" downpipe.

Last edit: by Lhasa2008

Back to the top
Picture below is of the original factory plastics. Highly recommend Autoglym machine cleaner. Used with a soft brush cleaned up the front grill like new.

Note: The front badge is actually a genuine VW NOS early MK2 Golf GTI, bought for £5 and newer previously fitted. Arguably a much rarer VW part than the equivalent MK1 badge, which is now available again via VW Classic. This MK2 Golf GTI badge was only ever used for on the very first MK2 Golf GTI's and is no longer available afaik.

Back to the top
MK1 Golf GTI Edition 30 OEM+ Front Badge.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.