Skip navigation

Sump gasket

Back to the top

Sump gasket

Hi guys.

I have an issue with my sump / gasket, mainly that it is leaking!

fitted a new sump and one of the windage type baffle things last year, since then i have oil all over the underside of the car, strutbrace and any other surface for that matter.

Think the issue maybe the gaskets on the baffle plate.

To cut to the chase, I will be swopping the lot out for a proper baffled sump, and would like to know what the best gasket would be, the newer rubber ones or something more old school.

advice would be cool, as I really don't need oil everywhere!  :banghead:

Thnks Chris

Projekt Frustration :

White 1991 Clipper. Lowered over polished zender rims, Single 40 dellorto on lynx manifold, kent cam, full stainless 'zorst / manifold, powerflex bushed and braced. Not the fastest car, but sounds super nice!

Still going after 12 years… never said it was a quick fix! Time is not my friend.

Back to the top
is the sump a genuine one or is it a pattern jobber

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Current gaskets are part of the windage plate.

not sure wht to do with the new sum, prob be a patern one.

Projekt Frustration :

White 1991 Clipper. Lowered over polished zender rims, Single 40 dellorto on lynx manifold, kent cam, full stainless 'zorst / manifold, powerflex bushed and braced. Not the fastest car, but sounds super nice!

Still going after 12 years… never said it was a quick fix! Time is not my friend.

Back to the top
yes i know about the windage tray gasket ;)

the reason i ask is ive seen a few people with the same issue due to poor quality sump, it can also happen if the sump is bent out of shape. the trouble is the gasket sealing surface its not flat its ridged if that makes sense, and so is the sump surface.

i heard diesel sumps were sometimes flat but not sure.

Back to the top
Think the bad idea started with the windage tray.

anyhow, I think the new sump is reasonable quality.

I was not sure if the rubber type gaskets are worth looking at?

maybe a bit of gasket seal may help?

Projekt Frustration :

Back to the top
rubber gaskets are fine, but then so are the cork ones if well fitted really. try not to use sealant if you can help it, if you do make sure you do it right becasue if you put too much on bits of it can end up inside the sump and pickup

Back to the top
Thanks for the advice, I think the rubberone will be the best route given the unknown origin of the new sump.

I will keep clear of the gasket sealer.

Projekt Frustration :

Back to the top
Did this help not putting on the sump with sealer? Know it's been some time since this post.. I've ordered a new gasket from vw heritage for my mk1 and its rubber and I'm wondering if I should use sealer? 

Back to the top
Just be warned that it is very easy to strip the 2 10mm bolts that are next to the bell housing as you cant get a socket on it as a direct fit.  I have found that a 1/4 in drive 6pt short socket and a wobble extension works wonders start by hand Only then tighten to 87 in/lbs, too much and they strip easily.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.