Skip navigation

1979 Mars Red Series 1 GTI

Back to the top

Ok, so I've bought a S1 GTI - Out the body shop...

😬😬😬😬

So it turns out I suck at life.  I went to see the car today after a long hiatus, she's still in OK condition but looking sad.

I will drive this car next year, it's time to sort it out. Well, I can’t keep coming back to the forum every few years for a no update update!

47F06937-9DD2-4E56-AF80-C4CE0BC66EBF.jpeg 0A29C641-2C1C-4DD3-B012-2EE96344FA84.jpeg AD3352DF-88D3-425C-9F22-D10A40A501CC.jpeg

Last edit: by Lee_dub

Back to the top
It'll have quadrupled in value since you started… without you doing anything :)

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top

Early-1800 said

It'll have quadrupled in value since you started… without you doing anything :)

This is true, well I paid £1000 for it so perhaps some more.  What are the S1's worth these days in decent condition?

I have decided to get it restored by an outfit that has the time, I'm so time poor these days.

Back to the top
Looking at the thread you seem to have done the donkey work (sorted electrics/dash, got engine fixed and body restored) so hopefully soon back on the road.

A S1 is prob one of the few MK1s were you'd stand a chance of recouping your restoration costs, esp considering you got the car when prices hadn't started to go bonkers.

Good luck and keep at it!

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Don't beat yourself up. Mine hasn't seen the road for over 20 years - still not finished although reassembly phase is under way. It is hard to find the time, life just gets in the way, but it will all be worth it when it's done!

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top
Some inspiration? 7A5C4EC3-1F91-4F6D-89F2-18D66000F65E.jpg ………
There are too many online users to list.