Skip navigation

Alpine White G60

Back to the top

G60RGE said

we all make mistakes…

IMG_2723.JPG IMG_9770.JPG

Hi,

What is the main reason why you are going to back heater and fan?

Last edit: by .wide

Important!
Hi can you please explain your totally non descript first message?

Your Moderator Manager
Sent from my Smartphone

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!
Important!

Back to the top

.wide said

G60RGE said

we all make mistakes…

IMG_2723.JPG IMG_9770.JPG

Hi,

What is the main reason why you are going to back heater and fan?

because its very cold and it was a stupid modification

Back to the top
IMG_6303.JPG

and blasted and weld through primed ready to be welded back in

any recommendations? 664EDAC0-1461-45BD-AEA1-2BE67DEE07CC.JPG

managed to source a heater box too  :thumbs:

Last edit: by G60RGE

Back to the top
so happy to finally get a standard airbox fitted. Its so much quieter now.

It clears the alternator pully by 1mm  :P

I still have a whistle sound on overrun i can't for the life of me find out what it is? any g60 experts on here?

IMG_0919.JPG
IMG_1071.JPG
looking a bit oily, i really need to get this charger checked out  :$

Back to the top
IMG_1373.jpg
finally got the seat centers trimmed, very happy with the results, it looks like a gti again!

Back to the top

Alpine White G60

Did you have to modify the air box at all? Mine looks like there isn’t any chance of squeezing it in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Arthur83 said

Did you have to modify the air box at all? Mine looks like there isn’t any chance of squeezing it in!

yup, a lot  :lol:  :lol:

i had to cut a lot off the bottom, im going to plastic weld it closed  with one hole as original and make a bracket in  the future

Back to the top

Alpine White G60

G60RGE said

Arthur83 said

yup, a lot  :lol:  :lol:

i had to cut a lot off the bottom, im going to plastic weld it closed  with one hole as original and make a bracket in  the future

Do you have any pictures by any chance?
I guess you had to chop the bottle bracket as well?

Back to the top
no sorry, just cut it bit by bit, there's no nice way about it its a proper wedge it in job and the hose to the charger will 100 percent split in the future as its under way too much tension

Back to the top
Finally managed to make time to get the heater box panel in, the welds need a grinding back once i get hold of a suitable tool

The dash has been test fitted and lines up perfectly to the heater box.  Ive also ground back behind where the matrix pipes go through the bulkhead and can see where the old hole was but for some reason it seems bit off so not sure if i should drill that just yet…

i have seen the matrix hoses are angled so maybe that's me just worrying

0A6CB4A7-8257-4F7C-BCF3-F5D9C775AE96 2.JPG

IMG_7345.JPG

Back to the top
Looking good, a bit daunting isn't it.

Once it's back in you will be a happy chap. Are you getting the engine out for the rain tray?

Just be careful about its vertical position where the seal sits on the bonnet. Tack it up and trial fit the bonnet.

Keep the good work up :thumbs:

Back to the top

Rich. said

Looking good, a bit daunting isn't it.

Once it's back in you will be a happy chap. Are you getting the engine out for the rain tray?

Just be careful about its vertical position where the seal sits on the bonnet. Tack it up and trial fit the bonnet.

Keep the good work up :thumbs:

I've been putting it off because I was sad i had to ruin all that hard work to get it all smoothed.  I also knew once i start its going to become a mammoth task. il bear the bonnet test fit in mind thanks for the heads up

thinking the engine needs to come out but im also thinking about bonding it in as another option that way i can just put it together without taking the engine out or taking it to get painted. im also not too fussed on the finish right now as im putting it all back to a standard where it can be used and not for show.. Actually, i have no plan. im just going along with it

still need to run all the brake lines and put the servo back in  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top
Well the sun was shining and and had some time to have another go today. Im happy with the results and how everything is finding its place without any issues. oh and the shed is emptying out as the parts are now on the car.

The three holes for the servo bracket were easy to locate and drill through as the strengthening bracket on the inside was still there

IMG_1027.JPG

Next i ground down behind the bulkhead to reveal my lovely welding where the matrix hose hole was
IMG_7039.JPG

hole drilled out
IMG_2632.JPG

quick lick of paint
IMG_2542.JPG

all fitted up
IMG_8320.JPG

and the inside, excuse the mess, looking forward to carpet final fit making up some under trays and a bloody good valet

IMG_2233.JPG

Last edit: by G60RGE

Back to the top
servo master cylinder and brake bar fitted, the brake bar in position reveals where the holes used to be and there is very little movement maybe 1 or 2 mm up and down so they are now marked for drilling next time i have a go.

IMG_5190.JPG IMG_4201.JPG

As you can see its progressing nicely, i need to start thinking about brake lines, i remember binning the rear brake compensator which im kicking myself for now!

can anyone recommend a decent brake pipe flaring tool and brake pipe kit?

Back to the top
so i took the pedal box out and used the support bracket as a guide where to drill through

notice i had the bodyshop weld a strengthening plate here as the bolts were welded to the bulkhead and the support bracket in the bay was removed

IMG_2637 2.jpg

well the bolts they welded in weren't quite in the right place but my guide hole showed me exactly where i needed to be, i chopped those bolts off anyway as the standard pedal box has bolts going through the bulkhead
083CCF58-FE50-46E3-9341-53CCB8EC18AA.JPG

All done
IMG_2027.JPG
IMG_8179.JPG

Crazyquiffs  Brake Pedal box for sale
IMG_3153.JPG

will also weld in the support bracket once i take it all off for power coating.

Very happy with this afternoons work, I've been putting this off for ages thinking it would have been a nightmare but getting stuck in has proved me wrong.

next step, brake lines

Back to the top
Small update, i made a start on the brake lines  :cool:

C4C37F81-337F-4AC6-87A1-B2A76D813CB7.JPG IMG_7688.JPG

you can tell from pic 2 this car hasn't been driven for a while from all the cobwebs and rusty discs O_o . It really needs a good going over/stripdown re-paint under those arches

parts needed
residual pressure valves x2
brake hose grommets x2
brake regulator complete with spring and hardware
brake switches x 2

shame i can't get the brake linkage and pedal box off to be powder coated right now, il get as much as i can done until i source the bit i need

Back to the top
progress pics, checklist above completed..

brake servo mod, I've lost count how many times and mk1's ive done this to over the years
IMG_2590.JPG IMG_9006.JPG

Finally managed to source a rear brake regulator but it was in a bit of a state
IMG_5326.JPG

Little refurb, i actually found the pully in my box of bits from 10 years ago
IMG_3848.JPG
new grommets for the brake hoses
IMG_7090.JPG
All pipework done and regulator on, yes i paid for someone to paint flakey undersea on as part of a restoration….
IMG_4858.JPG
Re done the master cylinder pipework as it looked too messy
IMG_1073.JPG

Was going to fill up the system but one of the front caliper bleed screws looks mangled so will leave it for tomorrow maybe
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.