Skip navigation

Fuel tank cleaning unblock filter Carb Version

Back to the top

Fuel tank cleaning unblock filter Carb Version

Yes chudd you were correct fella, my tank is gleaming but i think it help that the filler neck is alloy, thus no rust, but i had to venture lol.
Anyway Friend of mine aka Predator on here did his 1st yesterday, his is a 1.5  1983, he's been having issues with fuel and we investigated.
We read the TUT from CHUDD and was very helpul but we come to realise that his is a gti or likewise not a carb'd version thus different pipe's and filter's etc.
We didn't have a camera yesterday so i decided to do a small tut with mine as it is the same as a 1.5 from an 83 etc.
First disconnect battery, open all windows or doors which ever you choose to get rid or petrol vapours.
Lift the rear bench and push to one side so you have access to the black cover, remove 3 screws and remove plate.
Unplug the plug and disconnect the 2 fuel lines aka in/out pipes.
Now thanks to Chriselias272 for his ideas, works a treat, (I forgot to take a pic whilst i removed but here are couple of pics to show you how) it helps if you have someone else hold the exstention bar whilst other person pulls on wrachet, you need a 3/8th drive wratchet.

Do this gently but firm and the fuel sender will turn less than an 1/4, gently lift sender out and your sender will be like this
Also once removed you wll notie there are no other filters in the caburetter version tanks

Look on the end of the pipe of the sender and you'll see this a little filter, Predators was full of crap and he cleaned his out, mine in this pic is fine, but clean yours out and it will look like mine afterwards, no more blockage

Also whilst i was at it, i cleaned the terminal with some cheap aftershave and cleaned the contacts

This is my tank, but just clean that filter shown in other pic and should give you better fuel supply to the carb

Use a telescopic magnet to try and lift bits of rust from tank, as problem on predators pointed to filler neck, it was a couple of small holes, will be replacing today.
Hope this is of some use to other members
Pete :wink:

Back to the top
it's great to see that my idea is helping!

fills me with a nice sense of 'warmness' :wink:

Back to the top
Helped tom aka holeinmk1 with his yesterday, such a simple trick works flawlessly, you could see where someone before he had the car as had a go and snapped some of the plastic away, if only they knew how! :D
Cheers

Back to the top
Also whilst i was at it, i cleaned the terminal with some cheap aftershave

:lol:

Clean as …. oh and the tip about the tank sender removal , brilliant .

:mrgreen:

Back to the top
The fuel pump and vapour separator get blocked over time and if original and alot of miles i would suggest replacing these also, don't forget your in-line fuel filter also
Pete

Back to the top
A spot of masking tape on those tools are a good idea to stop metal hitting metal, you know, metal....sparks...petrol..... :)

~Madferret

Mk1 1457cc 5door GX '83

Back to the top
If you grip it as you should, then no need for masking tape and best having one person hold the rachet in place like i did and then you have a firm and steady movement.

Back to the top
I use two spanners, can't remember off-hand how…. :)

~Madferret

Mk1 1457cc 5door GX '83

Back to the top
Can Mods possibily put this as a sticky, as it is freq asked about
Cheers
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.