Skip navigation

JUST BOUGHT 1976 LS MK1(swallowtail)

Back to the top

JUST BOUGHT 1976 LS MK1(swallowtail)

Hi guys!
I guess through the years, you guys have certainly helped me from time to time getting my Mk1 Campaigns up to scratch with the restoration work.

Now, just yesterday, I bought myself a Mk1 LS 3 door Mk1 golf, 1976! Can you believe for 150 squid! And she isnt totally rusted thru! At least she has all the bits intact, such as the metal trim and most imprtantly, the mint steel bumpers!! :)

She is white, and rusted in tailgate, drivers front wing, both rear wings, rear panel, and front panel,and possibly a passenger door and roof is sound!

Now, you guys, do you think this is a worthwhile project to start? or take the parts and scrap the rest???

can you guys tell me if this early golf, shares the same panels as the later model mk1s????

If not, can these be got hold of? and how rare are these parts?? anyone with any I can have??

I well need someone who will take this on to restore the car!
In the Northwest prefable!!!

If you can help me, with any of my questions either message me or text me on: 07782318128
thanks guys!

Back to the top
Sounds like a bit of work there, but also sounds like quite a rare motor and cheap. What size engine has it got? Don't think the LS was that common. Is the paint original colour? If so think it would be atlas white L91Z for that year. If you got the money to spend I'd say go for it as series 1, mk1s are not common at all.

Most of the panels are the same, obviously rear panel has smaller light appertures and possibly swallowtail? May also be no rear wiper on such an early car, think front wings differ in having no hole for plastic bumper mounts. Seats/dash and fittings are also mostly different to later series two mk1s. Really Dubboy is the man who'll know for sure.

Good luck

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
Actually, body-wise most of the panels of a '76 model year are different to later years:

- front wings have no hole for bumper clip
- front panel has no towing eye, different middle section behind grille and the slam panel is different to accept a clip for the radiator
- bulkhead cross member is different to accept early steering rack mounts
- floor pans have different profile
- A-pillars are different to accept early style door hinges
- doors are different with early hinges, small door locks and single screw fixing for door handle
- rear panel is different for swallowtail profile
- bulkhead is different on interior side to accept internal dashboard fixing (external dash fixing from '77 on)
- bulkhead is different to have fresh air ducts coming from scuttle to behind dash
- rear 3/4 panel has mounts for external mounting of front seat belt reel. Early cars had no upper rear seat belt mount
- tailgate has 0, 1, or 2 cut outs not 3 on the inside and early cars had vents on the inside across bottom of rear window.
- shock turrets have VIN stamped in them rather than on scuttle

Many panels may have been changed over the year so check them carefully.

I am restoring a '76 LS myself at the moment. I am doing it for the love of the car, as it is costing a fair amount and my car is not even that bad.

It is near impossible to get parts for '74 to '76 cars (when you go into detail there are  huge number of parts different from a '77, never mind a Series 2). Saying that, I pick up a NOS VW '75 tailgate tomorrow, never been fitted….. 8)

I would ascertain exactly what parts you need and try and get hold of them before you even touch the car.

It is a tough decision to break the car or not. I have a very rusty '76 base model but have not the time or money to restore it now. So it sits there, in the dry waiting for a re-birth, I cannot bear to break it….

Drop me a PM if you need some help

Good luck and welcome to the joys of early Golf ownership  :D
Cheers
Rajan

Banner

Back to the top
After checking some of the panels I have for my '76, the inner wings and sills have different profiles to later cars to. So all that is left is the roof and boot floor!!  :lol:

Cheers
Rajan

Banner

Back to the top
thanks! :cry:

getting worried now! it maybe a no goer!

any contacts, help? and parts needed!!

give me a shout!

Back to the top
Don't be put off dude!

You are going to have trouble keeping the car 100% original, but if you are prepared to use a few later panels, then go for it!
Things like the front panel and wings, although very slightly different, will still fit!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.