Skip navigation

Arf's 1991 Clipper Winter TLC Restoration.

Back to the top

1991 Clipper Restoration *back from respray 06.05.12*

This is my Clipper, I only bought it as a bit of summer fun start of the year but after joining this club its turned into some sort of obsession lol!
Ive been "lucky" enough to get hold of a Corsa for mega mega cheap (im only 22 so insurance is a bit of killer owning two cars - only reason i got the corsa - group 1 ;))
This was my daily drive until last week when i decided to take it off the road and do some work to it, bought it off a couple that had it sat on the drive and done around 200 miles a year, since owning it ive not done alot cus like i said its been a daily drive but ive put a set of lenso's on, chrome on the handles and side strips and sorted the roof out, just things to make it look pretty really, but now its off the road im gonna do much much more.

to do:
-Respray
-Sort out running gear/engine ie cambelt clutch new carbs, choke and a service etc etc
-Cean engine bay (looks like it hasnt had a clean in years)
-Redo Carpet
-Fit headliner properly
-Leaky boot
-a)valet interior/ source new drivers seat or b)replace with rivage interior
-Lower
-Add ronal turbo's
-And undo all the damage previous owners have done - superglue all over door, carpet pulled up, demt on bonnet etc etc

Jobs a good'n

This is how it stands at the moment

Last edit: by arf333

South West Regional Host

Previous;
1991 Clipper, 1978 S1 GLS, 1983 Type25, 1989 Clipper GTI

Current;
Zero, zilch, nought, zero, nothing….

Banner

Back to the top
Engine bay:

interior - drivers seat a bit dirty, no bolster wear or any rips or tears and carpet starting to pull up
also mk1 OC car mats ;)

wet patch in the boot:

im putting these up for a ref. so i can compare with results whn ever its finished next year

is it now a proper mk1 ?? lol - no cliper kit

South West Regional Host

Previous;

Current;

Banner

Back to the top
Are you keeping the same colour ?? As it looks lovely !!

Enjoy doing under the bonnet as it looks like it needs a bit of elbow grease  :wink:

Looking forward to your updates  :D

Back to the top
yea im gonna keep it same colour, just needs a tidy up really, 20 years of stone chips and car park mishaps lol

and yea i actually cant wait to tidy up the engine bay it drives me mad ooking as it does!!

scott

South West Regional Host

Previous;

Current;

Banner

Back to the top

arf333 said

Engine bay:

Looking into the future!!!

hehehe :lol:

Back to the top
roof only just opens in the garage !

South West Regional Host

Previous;

Current;

Banner

Back to the top
Hope you don't mind me hanging around watching your progress, matey :D

Spanners at the ready…GO!

I'm so flipping lonely, it's killing me lol at least I can laugh about it!!

Back to the top
today i made some progress, took out seats, found lots of straw/hay under the back seats and money from 1983.
i started taken up the carpets.

the back section was no problem but front one was a little harder cus i got delayed taken out the centre console, had to take apart the immobilsor ¬_¬ then i ran out of light, all thats left to do it detatch it from underneath passenger door rubbers and looks like ill have to take off the the bonnet release handle aswell

plans for tomorrow: pop up b&q to get some more flurescent tubes for garage (1 out of 3 lights) works. finish taking out carpet, remove doorcards, strip boot, try to refit headliner properly. all i can do being xmas my parts from ebay are taking ages to come :(

South West Regional Host

Previous;

Current;

Banner

Back to the top

Didge said

no not at all :D
spanners?!?! dont you mean hammer ?  lol

South West Regional Host

Previous;

Current;

Banner

Back to the top

arf333 said

Didge said

no not at all :D
spanners?!?! dont you mean hammer ?  lol

HAHA Hammer! yea man, I know what you mean..

I tried taking out the engine myself an found 12 shredded drive shaft bolts an thought, that's put paid to that idea!
Pretty sure the garage I took it to in the end had to either drill them out or weld nuts onto them so they could twist'em out.

Then I tried opening up the water pump and every bolt just snapped, the alternator was proper shot an then I threw a rod in the bottom end all in the same week(hence engine swap) pretty sure the only thing left on the car now is the chassis, wiring an interior.. Theirs me thinking at the start jus a bit of TLC will see her right.

HA I'd never buy another one in the condition I brought this one in without a garage of my own :)

I just hope you get on better with yours then the puzzle mine tured out to be :)

I'm so flipping lonely, it's killing me lol at least I can laugh about it!!

Back to the top
haha well fingers crossed!! i dunno where to start with the engine, thats why im leaving the bonnet closed at the moment! if i had my way id rip it out and start again with a 1.8t or something, but insurance company wouldnt like that:(

im just gonna probs end up replacing all essentials, clutch cambelt coolant system choke carbs etc and just spend hours cleaning it up :D

but same as you this was supposed to be just "a little tlc" but its gonna get out of hand, cars now gone from daily to weekend car so its only right to tart it up i suppose :D

South West Regional Host

Previous;

Current;

Banner

Back to the top
glad you have got it stored and started mate, give me a txt if you working on it over next few days and when im about i will pop by give you a hand :-)

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
ok wicked mate, im sure ill be working on it at some point, at the moment though its just boring things like stripping it all down, i might need a hand converting pierburg to a manual choke when i get round to the engine bay though :)

how you doing anyway rich, nice xmas?? need to catch up sometime and organise next regional meet

South West Regional Host

Previous;

Current;

Banner

Back to the top
since last time ive finished taking the carpet out, it was a bit of a nightmare unclipping it all so i ended up taking out the lower part of the dash, underneath the carpet there was loads of mould/moss/damp in the drivers footwell. so im gonna leave it for a week or 2 to dry out, ive cleaned out the scuttle panel as it was full of leaves and gunk so i think this was the where the water was finding its way in.

while i was at it id took the back half of the clipper kit off, which meant taking the wheels off to get at the rear arches

next on my list is the rear part of the headliner as its really saggy and was not attatched properly by previous owners:

South West Regional Host

Previous;

Current;

Banner

Back to the top
had my first delivery of parts this weekend too: a new clutch, cambelt and coolant expansion tank as well as a few other little bits and bobs, so be spending some time under the bonnet doing the essentials!!

South West Regional Host

Previous;

Current;

Banner

Back to the top
looking good mate, i will have to pop over soon and do a few bits with you , let me know if your generally working on it on weekends or nights or whatever, where did you order expansion tank from, mine is manky, could do with new one

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Saturdays seem to be the only time I get to work on the car. I spend most of my time on here or ebay pricing things up :) and I got my tank off eBay gsf auto parts I think, was £11 odd in the end for a brand new one

South West Regional Host

Previous;

Current;

Banner

Back to the top

South West Regional Host

Previous;

Current;

Banner

Back to the top

South West Regional Host

Previous;

Current;

Banner

Back to the top
Loving the interior mate!! Can't wait to see this on the road! Then you can get rid of that old Corsa!!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.