Skip navigation

1994 MK1 (widened steelies fitted)

Back to the top

1994 MK1 (widened steelies fitted)

I'm pretty new to this site, but, I'm from South Africa, most of the time I've just been browsing, but I thought I'd share my pride and joy with you guys:
It started out life as a 1994 MK1(CITI as it is known here) The car has gone through a lot of changes, at the moment i'm converting her back to the type one retro MK1(i dont know why VW ever changed the shape of the MK1?)
Anyway, here are some pics of before and after, i am still busy building the car so it is not complete yet, any comments welcome, I'd really appreciate some comments on how to improve the car.

Here is the car about two years back, this is how it was up until 5 months back.

Then, ultimately, i got bored of that, so a change was in order. So i got my hands on a set of brand new velociti(the new MK1, currently on sale) bumpers. The idea was to paint them body colour, but that went out the window

About 2 months later I was involved in a little fender bender. This wasnt a bad thing… cause i've always wanted to build a retro MK1, then i thought, why not build one from a new one rather than restoring a '79 or a '80?
The only problem is finding retro parts in SA, So the hunt began, About 2months of intense searching, I found what i was looking for:
Type one fenders and chrome bumpers…

So on I went with the fitment.

After a week or so, i sent her of to the bodyshop, i found type one taillights, and knew, i had to have them fitted!
The THursday afternoon…

And two weeks later!

I also had the towhooks removed and some other parts on the body was smoothed out

The bumpers fitted, I'm not too happy with the front bumper, so we'll leave it there for now…

Just yesterday, i fitted a roof rack, it needs some attention, but i'm just happy with the find!

Please excuse the dirt! But there was a National forest rally on, and spectating became really muddy! :oops:

Back to the top

Test fitting some new wheels!

Just kidding, I was bored and checked if my friend's Mini wheels would fit, 145/10's
Whatcha think?

It doesnt clear the front brakes tho. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top
Looks good mate, i was only wondeirng if the oler wings and front would go on a citi..

Just need to get some body filler int he swage lines on the rear panel and its sorted

good work mate

Back to the top
Thanx Lawsy, Yip, they fit straight on…
I'm scared of bodyfiller, i afraid of cracks…

So this weekend was a long weekend in the car department,
Friday my flag mirrors arrived,

While shopping,  I thought i'd get some black vinyl at, wait for it… R15 for 2m!!!(Thats about 1Pound) Couldnt believe it was so cheap.

So after cutting and pasting for two hours, this is how it came out…

The flag mirrors also fitted

Decided to fill in the gap in the bumper where the rubstrip should be

Afterwards, fitted the chrome beading on the front grill.

I'm still polishing the front bumper, it takes for ever, but it should be done next weekend.

Back to the top
Got some new interior goodies, OEM steering wheel and gearknob from a 2004 1.4i
Will take some pics tonight.

Back to the top
Looking good Ruan  :wink:

Back to the top

dub33 said

Looking good Ruan  :wink:
Thanx man, i got a lot of work done since the VWSA forum is down. Hows your CTi coming along? :D

Back to the top

Back to the top

nicholas_d said

Ah yes, Gavin, he is doing a top job

Back to the top
Last night i continued the pursuit of happiness, after polishing the very badly faded chrome for about two hours, it came out like this:

The weapon of choice:

Back to the top
looks good ruan! just out of interest do they not sell original mk1 golfs in SA?
But good work, Are you coming to the Mk1 golf owners club meet? lol You are not far away ey??  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top

ChrisRivage said

looks good ruan! just out of interest do they not sell original mk1 golfs in SA?
But good work, Are you coming to the Mk1 golf owners club meet? lol You are not far away ey??  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Hey man, yes they did sell the mk1 in SA. From 1980. But nowadays, finding a good one is hard, thats why i decided to convert. Thanx for the comments, the car is still far from complete, but its getting there… Haha, I wish i could make it, the passion you guys have for your mk1s is something to see, Any way, i still have a few ideas for the mk1, but I'm not quite sure yet…

Back to the top
Nice mate

looking good some nice choices made there :)

Back to the top

fleming16 said

Nice mate

looking good some nice choices made there :)
Thanx man! I'd love to change the wheels though!

Back to the top
If you are trying to make ur car look more original get a set of pirelli P's i think that would suit your car what alloys u thinking?

Back to the top

ChrisRivage said

If you are trying to make ur car look more original get a set of pirelli P's i think that would suit your car what alloys u thinking?
A set Schmidts TH-Line's in 13" but that would cost the same as my car!!! 8O
Otherwise, a set of these, what do you think?

^^^^ Thats sooo hot!

Back to the top
Did they ever make a 3 door golf citi? It would be cool to get an 3-door R line and bring it to the uk and convert front end back to original. How much are the r-line models?

Back to the top

bouchay said

Did they ever make a 3 door golf citi? It would be cool to get an 3-door R line and bring it to the uk and convert front end back to original. How much are the r-line models?
Nope, we only saw the LS in 3door variations in the early 80s. Since 1990 it was 5 doors only… The R-line goes for about R119000.
Which translates to about 9000 pounds.
http://www.vw.co.za/models/citi/pricesandoptions
There ya go, everything you need to know about the current CITI.
Regrettably the R-line and 1.8i are no longer available…   :cry:

Back to the top
Its 22:40 and I've just finished cutting the vinyl for the hood, its a lot of work!
Took me almost two hours! Will stick it on tomorrow. :D

Back to the top

bouchay said

dont think any citi's are 3 dr, you could only get one thats around 10 years old to import due to stupid EU emmisions etc etc etc

(only know that cos was thinking of doing it myself)

would be cool tho…
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.