Skip navigation

1984 B Reg Cabby

Back to the top

1984 B Reg Cabby

Hi, i have a 1984 B Reg Cabriolet, the rear panels are rot and i cant find anything that looks remotely like them, has anyone had the same problems? ive heard that my model golf is actually a mk 2, but the rear panel for a mk2 stops at the lights, the panel on my golf goes all the way to the top.

Cheers

Paul

Back to the top
Your car is based on the Mk1, so Mk2 panels are completely wrong!

I think the rear panels remained the same the whole way through the Mk1 Cab production.

Is it just the lower section that is rotten or the whole thing?

Back to the top
well, it is completely rot at the bottom, the surround of the boot is on its way, and there is some rust just underneath the hood at the top. ive followed the weld up the side inside the boot and it goes right up to the hood, just inside the boot.

Thanks

Paul

Back to the top
Paul have you got this book ?

GOLF RESTO BOOK

Good place to start and will answer a lot of questions if you are planning to restore your Cab

Chudd…..

Back to the top
I've just brought that book last week! very good and easy to read!

only bit I was disappointed about was that it didn't cover the injection system or fuel pump (only the carb pump)

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
Thanks a lot Chudd, ive bought that book now so hopefully ill be back on track in no time, shame im going to Mexico on sunday, would much rather have the golf ready for this awesome weather! (not sure the missus will agree though!) bought the VW GTI Maintain, enjoy... book aswell, after what philt said, so thanks phill too!

Back to the top
:y: No worries.. 2 good reads there!

another book I brought was the Haynes Techbook: Automotive Body repairs & Painting manual, all american but VERY good for the home sprayer if you need to respray your 'hood' or 'fender' etc. etc.

any american's here that think us brits are weird for calling that stuff the bonnet and front panel?  :wink:

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
saw this on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9889&item=4559320044&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

dont know if it might help.

Where abouts are you, cos I've got a cabby that I've been using for spares and if you needed the roof lip your welcome to come and take it off.
I'm in Suffolk.

Graham
(Boraboy on most other forums)

Cabrio GTI  Now in Lhasa Green with running 1.8T AJQ on OEM management.
Coming to bits again for more mods after reading to much on here…
Oh yeah, and a Golf V GT TDi
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.