Skip navigation

Rear springs 1989 GTI cabrio

Back to the top
Hi
Would these rear springs be ok for me…Monroe  SP0534 . Or what is the correct spring I need. Cabrio appears to have different rated spring??? I was advised I only need to replace one spring but surely it's best to replace both at same time? Thank you

Last edit: by Conn O'Mara

Back to the top
Springs or shock/struts.

Coil springs are still available over here on this side of the pond at a few on-line stores, as well as the rear shock/strut.

Depending on the age and wear of  your bump stops and dust covers you may want to renew those as well as the rubber bushes that you use to mount at the top under the cupped plate and Zippo cap cover.

The hardest thing about the rears is the lower strut mounting bolt.  They tend to rust bind in the metal bushing of the strut and can be the dickens to get out.
I have had to use a sawzall to cut them out, and once a blow torch…

shock001 (1).jpg

Going back to prevent this from happening I highly suggest that you Mummify the lower replacement bolt with Teflon Tape head to thread, and slather it with never-seize.

mummy.jpg

Same bolt after 5years of service removed.

shock046.jpg

How I replace the rears.
http://volkswagenownersclub.com/vw/showthread.php/32174-How-to-replace-your-Rear-Struts

Last edit: by Briano1234

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Rear springs...even the springs on vw heritage say they may not be perfect for my 89 GTI cabrio???

Back to the top
I know that the springs have dot codes on them they are colored dots that are the load rating.

I know that Germanautoparts.com over here only lists one spring for the Rabbits/Golfs/GTI's/Cabriolets.

I suspect that they may not be as strong for the Cabriolet (GTI) as the Cabby does weigh more because of the folding top and re-enforced chassis.

They probably will work/fit

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
What length should the rear spring be??

Back to the top
VWheritage shows

161511105A

only 2 left for the Cabriolet.

GAP
http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volkswagen/Cabriolet/Suspension/351/1

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
I just ordered the 161511105A....thank you !!

Back to the top
Hi, I replaced the Rear Springs and Shocks on my 87 Cabby a few weeks ago. Bought the parts from euro Car Spares.

Back to the top

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Thank you all again.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.