Skip navigation

90/100mm hubs

Back to the top
I'm ABF swapping my car and have hit a stumbling block on the front hubs.

I have a pair of hubs and shafts that were given to me and assumed to be mis matched, one 100mm and one 90mm. I planned to machine the driveshaft end to fit the smaller hub but on further inspection it looks like the hub carrier sections are the same, but the splined hub centre is different? Can I press out the deeper hub centre (with the plain and splined section) and swap it for the shallower fully splined type? 

IMG_3716.JPG IMG_3717.JPG

Back to the top
From those pictures your Hubs aren't fully pressed into the bearing in the one picture, and or the preload is gone and the bearing is shot. The other shows the hub fully pressed in but the seal is shot, and that would need new bearings as well….IMHO
I would personally get new Bearings and press them in.

How to do it on the car:
Wheel Bearings, on the Car

How to do it off the car:
http://www.driversfound.com/scirocco/techtips/suspension/wheelbearingsfront/

What the heck is preload?
http://volkswagenownersclub.com/vw/showthread.php/81082-What-is-that-PRE-LOAD-when-replacing-Front-wheel-Bearings.

There is an issue with the outer hubs.
90mm will directly work in a 100mm hub

A 100 will not work in a 90 without grinding the axle.

Some remakers of axles used a end that was non-standard and would bind without grinding it down a wee bit.

There are Hub bearing kits that have the wrong eared "c" clips that worked great installed lovely,  but as you tightened the axle nut would bind the joint and you couldn't spin the axle at all, even in gear and in low or reverse….Better than a parking brake..

Shows the good flat clip and the newer ones that don't work.

Grinding axles.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2721624-Rebuilding-my-axles-and-major-parts-problem-with-outer-CV-joint-84-Rabbit

Personally I wouldn't mix /match axles either go with 90 or 100, but make sure your cups are correct for the transaxle.  There is a Difference between the 90 and 100mm axle cups…

I have 2 auto cabbies, one has 100mm axles, the other I converted to 90mm because of a Transmission swap from a TNA to a TJ…. The TJ had 90mm transaxle flanges.

Over on this side of the pond there are different makers of rebuilt's, and the ones from CARDone are garbage and I had 2 go bad one so bad that it ruined the bearing race on the Differential causing me to swap it out with a TNA spare, so I had to swap the Axle cups from the TJ, to the TNA diff.  It isn't that hard to do, but I would be wary of a mis-match on the axles….  that is one 90 and the other 100… Stay the same…

Cardone also makes rebuilt MC's I had 2 out of the box bad on those as well, and for 30 dollars more I got a new one.

I have a good local guy that rebuilds axles, and I have taken mine to him for rebuilding, and he does fantastic work…

Here is a shot of the Hammered Axle Shaft from a Broken CV on the Differential end…I thought it was just a leaky seal..
Trying to get the "C" clip off was a heart breaker, as when I saw the race damage… The TJ had bettter MPG and Pickup.

Learn more about tranny's than you ever wanted to know:
www.brokevw.com

Last edit: by Briano1234

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Fantastic! That all makes perfect sense.

I'll get them stripped down and get someone who knows what they're doing to press in some new bearings. Thank you very much.

Back to the top
The bearings would be shot if the car has been pushed around without the driveshaft in, it's best to fit new bearings as it's aright pain to take everything apart.
If the car has no driveshafts fitted in the hubs do not move it any where.

Might also be a good time to fit some brake disc backing plates as your seem to be missing, if you can undo the bolts which hold them in place as they rust in the hub.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MK1-GOLF-Backing-Plate-Golf-Mk1-Front-Disc-Brake-L-or-R-each-171615311-/391387808794?hash=item5b2088041a:g:D7QAAOSwd0BV1Nj2

Rusty…

i just painted mine as the bolt heads had rusted away…

Last edit: by mark1gls

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Thanks, yes the hubs will be getting new bearings pressed in properly and the shafts will be in and tight before the car moves anywhere.

As for the brake backplates, I'd prefer to have them but the studs holding them are all rusted away or snapped off so I think I'll avoid the hours of drilling and swearing and go without.

Back to the top
I did have a go at undoing mine but the bolts was to rusty to undo and I feared the heads just snapping off so I left the remains of my backing plates on and painted them to stop the rust getting any worse. I do have a new spare backing plate in the shed if I ever get around to doing it but I can't imagine ever getting it done..  O_o

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.