Skip navigation

VW Mk 1 Diesel 1981

Back to the top

Cig lighter built in?

Hi , does anyone know if a 1981  Mk 1 Golf 1.6 D came with a Cig lighter ?

I'm looking to import one, but I will have to drive it back and will need my sat nav plugged in !!

Is it easy to do?

Cheers 

Back to the top
My 1981 LD came with a cigarette lighter not sure on base model…

You can always use a map, that's how we used navigate before sat nav…..  :lol:    

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

mark1gls said

My 1981 LD came with a cigarette lighter not sure on base model…

You can always use a map, that's how we used navigate before sat nav…..  :lol:
Thanks for your reply.

Yeah I know, but I am planning to travel a very long way, away for a few days. and need to charge my phone as well.

What sort of MPG do you get from yrs? any common problems to look out for?

Back to the top
Believe it or not, the Cigarette Lighter was Optional on certain lower trim level Models.

The "Ash Tray/ Coin holder" was installed but the hole where the Cigarette lighter was had a Plug in it.

The wiring for the light was there and it could be bought at the dealership as a "optional" item….

The Issue that I have is that my Kiddies when driving my rides used those Cheap USB Plugins to power their cell phones and it sprung out the lighter sockets, which I had to "UN-spring" the grounding point to get my "lighter" to work.  

I have since converted my Lighter Sockets to a USB jack  to power the phones in all my rides.  The back side of doing this is I lost power for my 12V air compressor, and had to convert my compressor from a cigarette lighter jack to clip on leads for the battery and extend the length of the wire about 10 feet to accommodate the distance to the battery.  :)  well Lesson learned.  You may not need the Lighter but need to spring out the Ground fingers and clean up the center connection as it gets rusty.

My Cigarette lighter won't charge my Ipad, Iphone. | Volkswagen Owners Club Forum

Got tired of kids wobbling my Ciggie Lighter with USB convertors | Volkswagen Owners Club Forum

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
I've had a quick look on the web and I don't think the base model did have a cigarette lighter, might be worth contacting the seller and ask them to make sure..

You could buy an aftermarket cigarette lighter, add some wires to it and spade connectors and as a get you home bodge put the wires into the back of the fuse box and earth point?

A few guides on here and the web to whats got power on the fuse box as there is some spare connections on the back…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Motorbike-Boat-12V-120W-Waterproof-Power-Car-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-Plug/263726394767?epid=1553687721&hash=item3d67516d8f:g:P6kAAOSwN2VbD43e

I had my 1981 Mk1 LD many years ago, mid 90's and I have no idea what the MPG , I just stuck diesel in when needed and drove it but it used less fuel than my old Mini.

The LD is noisy and slow, anything over 70mph is pushing it with the 4 speed gearbox….
It would eat head gaskets, 3 in 3 years as at MOT time they would rev it to death to see if any smoke came out of the exhaust, I think it has changed now a days..

Mine cost me £200 with 12 months MOT and 6 months tax and was a good car for the 3 years I had it, we parted when I skidded on ice and landed upside down in the ditch on the Somerset moors, I still got £50 for it when I sold it for parts……  O_o

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top

Thanks for that.

I will be travelling abroad to pick the car up and have a long journey back.

I did think about fitting one temporarily but that means that I have to take one with me as I am not sure how to buy one in the country I am going to & fitting one without mt tools .
It will be a case of flying out /checking /buying/driving back. if the car is ok.

Back to the top
As I said before buy one in this country like in the link I posted, solder on 2 spade connectors to the wires provided, there is some spare connections on the back of the fuse box and and earth claw near the fuse box, you should be able to reach behind the fuse box and connect the power and earth with out the need for any tools…

Pictures here of fusebox and location of power etc…
View topic: Fuze box wiring layout . Relay locations . Fuze locations . - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

Other way could be a power pack for your phone and use the sat nav on the phone…

Back to the top

Mee said

Thanks for that.

I will be travelling abroad to pick the car up and have a long journey back.

I did think about fitting one temporarily but that means that I have to take one with me as I am not sure how to buy one in the country I am going to & fitting one without mt tools .
It will be a case of flying out /checking /buying/driving back. if the car is ok.

Been there done that, 45 bucks plane ticket….. Car was a POS  didn't buy it, so 345 dollar ticket to get home and 12 hour wait.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.