Skip navigation

Battery size 1989 cab GTI?

Back to the top
HI need to pick up a new battery before I go and collect my cab  out of storage, no way of having a look at what size the old battery is as its in storage 200 miles away.
Europarts and a few other online battery stores say 063 or 075 where as others just say 063
Thanks

Back to the top
This is what I just brought for my car, 1988 GTi. As long as you don't have a electric windows and electric roof you should be fine with this battery but if you do you will need the bigger battery.
http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/c/Volkswagen_Golf+Cabriolet_1.8_1989/p/car-parts/car-electrics-and-car-lighting/electrical/car-battery/?444770637&1&3f17dc72af76ea639dd78d505d5121179c0169a1&000020
Euro car parts sister company but cheaper (even the website is the same!) They also do a battery with a 5 year G/tee but thats £56.00, you can see the others on there website.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
I don't have electric windows or roof but I do run quite a powerful sound system so I will go for the 075, will it fit straight in or will I need to modify the battery mount?
thanks

Back to the top
 it's just slightly longer but you won't need any modification to fit it.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top
Awesome, thanks for the advice.

Back to the top
Dredging up an old thread…

I have to replace the battery on my 1989 1.8 DX GTI. Does the advice still apply? Is there any benefit in getting the 075 over the 063 when the only electrics in the car are the lights and the standard radio?

Back to the top
I did find my 063 stuggle to start my car on very cold morning especially if it did not start straight away, the battery finally gave up and I've switched to the 075 and it has a lot better cranking power in cold weather.
I also don't have electric window or roof.

I went for the Bosch with the 4 years guarantee, it’s been on my for a few years now and still going strong.

20% extra discount this weekend.
https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/c/Volkswagen_Golf+Cabriolet_1.8_1989/p/car-parts/electrical/car-electrics-and-car-lighting/car-battery/?444770757&1&c7889294c253fe7716b1a58978837d0ae4bdd331&000020

Or here not sure what the discount is??
https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Volkswagen_Golf+Cabriolet_1.8_1989/p/car-parts/car-electrics-and-car-lighting/electrical/car-battery/?444770757&1&c7889294c253fe7716b1a58978837d0ae4bdd331&000020

Last edit: by mark1gls

Back to the top
I bought two months ago an 075 'Banner' battery for mine as it's my second one in 6 years from this company and is affordable and a good one.

But last week I had to buy an 095 from Bosch which is a big bügger for our Nissan 4x4 it only cost me £160 in Austria.
Here's the kicker though, I only get a 2 year warranty on it, so much for market transparency! 🤔

Now I just checked with this website and could have bought the same Bosch battery with the 4 year International warranty for £147.00 delivered to my door in Austria!

Now I'm pee'd off! 😕

Sent from my Smartphone 📱

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top

Great - thanks for the advice.

I got a Bosch 063 from Eurocarparts but when I went to swap it realised that the old dead battery was an 075 (from the AA). So I've ordered a Bosch 075 - with the Black Friday discounts it was only £10 more than the 063. I tend to use the car on short runs so imagine the bigger size will work out better.

Back to the top

So I got the Bosch 075. I fitted it and the car fires up no problem. I'm worried because the battery jiggles up and down a little on the tray. I've clamped down the front of the battery but the other edge is less tall than the metal locator piece at the back of the battery tray - if you get what I mean - so there's some play. Is that right? Can I stop it somehow?

Back to the top
Nearly every MK1 Golf, Jetta, Scirroco, Cabrio and Caddy I have come across has a battery that slurs side to side bashing the radiator.

Although the numbers 063 and 075 mean that the batteries are a standard size/design/capacity…. they are not.

MK1 battery trays require the strip (below). Go back to the supplier and tell them they need to supply one as the battery they supplied doesn't fit properly and would fail the MOT.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/VW-Golf-Mk1-Adapter-Strip-for-Battery-000915413/1216966277

or what I have done in the past is use old vinyl floor tiles under the battery to lift it up a little or a piece of wood sandwiched between the clamp and battery so its held down tight.

Last edit: by Early-1800

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
On my cars I've used a bit of rubber from a bike inner tube which I cut and folded over then put it under the front clamp between the camp and battery to bulk it out and that stopped the battery moving about, it will tip a little at the back if you pull it forward but it will not fall out or slide about.
On my other car I've used a bit of cardboard to bulk out between the battery and clamp.
Both cars have been through lots of MOTs and it's not caused a problem.

Back to the top

Some pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

373 views (301 Kb)

315 views (361 Kb)

Back to the top

Ah, OK. I actually discovered adaptor strips on the old battery late last night. I'm not sure they'll fit the Bosch one, but I'll have a look later today. I'll stick some rubber under too.

Back to the top
I was going to suggest that or a wooden slat (think Paint Stirrer) under the clamp as I had a similar issue fitting a different style of battery in my Cabriolet…. I used a paint stirrer cut down varnished, and a thin rubber strip on the top and bottom.

Love the pretty blue Bosch battery.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.