Skip navigation

1992 Cabrio rear speaker popped.

Back to the top

How do i remove the covers?

I have popped the rear speaker on the drivers side of my 1992 Cabrio, (well I didn't actually pop it, Mitch Ryder and The Detroit Wheels did). Anyway, how do I get the speaker fret off to get to the speaker? It has no visible fixings and I don't want to break it with over enthusiasm and a big pry bar, any clues you Golf Gurus? Cheers, John.

Back to the top

The door card has to come off the get the rear speakers out, from what I remember you remove the cap on the window winder remove screw and winded then the card is on plastic pop style clips. Then the speaker is screwed to the grill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Ah, that appears to be the butt first engineering I am discovering VW use a lot, many thanks.
My next question is what size are the speakers? That will save me taking the door card out, measuring the speaker, then putting it back whilst I acquire new speakers, then take it out again to fit them. I can do it all in one go.

Back to the top

If they are original they will be 6”x 4”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Many thanks, it's off to eBay pronto for me then!
Actually I think I might have a spare 6x4 in my odds and sods dept.

Back to the top
Rear speakers come in 2 sizes, front speakers are 6x4 and depending on year the speakers in the rear change, best to take the door card off to check.
It's a 5 minute job to remove the door card, undo window winder, remove cover near seat belt, unpeel the seal along the door and get your fingers on behind and push the poppers off, tip the back of the rear seat forward as sometimes VW fit a hidden screw on the bottom corner.  

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Thanks y'all, I'll get on it next week as I need the car this weekend. I'll just switch the fader to all front at the moment.

Back to the top
I have found that if one speaker "popped" the other is sure to follow…So you might want to replace both.

Be warned that the 91.5 and up Cabbies have a handle extension on the Crank, so be careful not to drop that in the crack between the seats.

crank.jpg

It allows the crank handle to clear the speaker grille.

On one set of speakers that I replaced on my 92, I had to trim the metal on the speakers to clear the Grille, nothing that a tin snip couldn't take care of tho.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Thanks for the heads up Brian.

Back to the top
VW have weird window winder trims, the centre doesn't pop out to access the retaining screw, the whole plastic cover has to be prised up and slid out of the way. Mad, but I found the explanation in a Porters manual.

Back to the top

TBigJohn said

VW have weird window winder trims, the centre doesn't pop out to access the retaining screw, the whole plastic cover has to be prised up and slid out of the way. Mad, but I found the explanation in a Porters manual.

Depends on which type you had, I forgot to mention it…The Chrome handles on my Diesel Bunny was a bit different…But you are right.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
The speaker is comprehensively fubared, some JBL 6x4's ordered., I'll pop the fronts next……!
Twas this which popped it at 70ish with the top down, :ocf_emoticons__icon_wink: On the M6
"Break Out" by Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels - YouTube

Back to the top
a Pair of new old stock JBL GTO 6425e speakers (£20 delivered) fitted, I had to take the seat base out to fit the new ones, as their magnets were deeper and I couldn't get the side card angle to slide the cards and speakers combined into place. Happy days. (I have been told JBL should stand for Just Bloody Loud, and they are!)

Back to the top
:thumbs:

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.