Skip navigation

1992 cabriolet window asjustment

Back to the top
The passenger window has a gap between edge and b pillar are there any instructions here on how to adjust the window?

Back to the top
Where is the GAP?  Upper rear corner, or along the entire rear edge of the glass?

If the door isn't closing tight then the seal won't engage.
This is the door striker pin.  

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 7.07.01 AM.png

Then there is the in and out of the rear glass edge as you have to move the rear rail in or out by the adjusting bolts at the bottom of the door.

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 7.08.32 AM.png

The rear top corner can be lifted by removing the door card.
How to remove door card and adjust window stop | Volkswagen Owners Club Forum

The if you roll down the window, you will see a large slot in the rail, and when you can center the bolt in to the slot, you can get a 10mm socket on it to loosen, and raise it in the channel a wee bit to get the corners up.

It could also be the window stop needs to be increased, but that is a Ballet type of adjustment as you need the window up far enough to roll in to the seal at the top, and not too much so that when you close the door it can't roll under the seal.

Now lastly, there is the seal itself.  It is a Finger seal, and that seal can be pushed out and clean it internally with alcohol to remove all the dirt and old rubber.  Let it DRY.

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 7.19.49 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 7.22.05 AM.png

Using Foam weather strip, you can gently pull the seal edge out, and use the sticky backed foam on the cleaned rubber and "PLUMP" that finger seal back.

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 7.23.28 AM.png

Measure it to length.
Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 7.25.46 AM.png

Then insert it in between the rubber finger wiper and the body.
Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 7.28.00 AM.png

You can trim it back if you don't get it shoved in far enough….

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 7.28.00 AM.png

OMG I locked my keys in the car :)

That should all but cover the rear edge seal.  VW changed the seal type from a earlier solid but hollow weather strip on the earlier Cabriolets, to the finger type seal on the later 90's.  So this is for the 90's cabbies that have that finger type seal.  Be Gentle.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
This is what my seal looks like
IMG_3688.JPG IMG_3689.JPG

Back to the top
Adjust the in and out of the back rail the two bolts at the bottom as it will allow the window to roll more in alignment to the Seal.

Your "b" pillar seal looks to be cut at the top and pushing out. (Eccentric adjust and repair of the seal.)

If you roll your window down slightly and it more aligns with the seal then you may have to adjust the window stop.  Remove door Panel and vapor barrier, then it is the big 10mm bolt large washer in the center of the door

Also moving the door on the hinges can bring the bottom out and the upper in.

Like I said it is a Ballet one adjustment can effect others, and you have to dance about a bit between them.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.