Skip navigation

Tuning 1983 mk1, engine code: JB

Back to the top

Tuning 1983 mk1, engine code: JB

Hello,

I would really like to get my Mk1 golf to run a bit faster, it is a manual 4 speed with completely stock 1.5 (69 HP) engine.
I was thinking of changing the **** Pierburg 1B carb for a weber or some kind, but not complete sore yet, could not find
a conversion kit.

Do you guys have any sugestions or idees?

WhatsApp Image 2016-08-19 at 16.33.32 (1).jpeg IMG_1945.JPG ?

Niels

Back to the top
Hi buddy, I love your mk1 :)it looks to be in really good standard stock condition which is quite rare.
The Weber you need is a Type 34 ICH. This has to be fitted with kit 15290003 (for 1.5 engine 1977-1979) from Weber.
It really is a much nicer carb' than the Pierburg, and should result in  better overall performance. I use mine with the standard air box (1.3 engine) and its good.

It could be found complete for around £180.00 + VAT but you could just have to search the Net and it may be more!
Mine came from Fast Road Cars (official Weber dealer) 01495237456, www.fastroadcars.co.uk. Highly recommended.
Marcus.

Back to the top
If your Pierburg carb is running properly there is no advantage to changing it for a Webber carb, you will gain no extra power, the Webber carb is a simpler carb so easy to set up and get running right, it will make more noise and the car may feel a little bit more responsive but not any quicker.
New Ht leads, spark plugs, dissy cap, rotor arm and a good tune up eg. timing and mixture may help.
If you have points in the dissy a swop to electronic ignition will help.

A K&N air filter, the panel type which fits inside your air box (the other type which you remove your air box will make things worse as no cold air getting to it and no hot air in the winter) A panel filter will give you about 1 BHP if lucky but you will never need to buy another air filter again.

I think there should be a cold air feed pipe attached to the end of your air intake? This may help get cold air into the carb.

Not sure if it will fit a 1.5? A cam from a Gti engine, you need to check which type of shims you have and match the cam shaft, that will free up a bit of power.

Which type of exhaust manifold do you have? Picture?

After that you will need to start spending a lot more money on engine rebuilds and head work. or easier cheaper option is swop the engine for a bigger one, 1.8 or possible 2.0 from a Mk3 golf. You may need to up the brakes if going or a lot more BHP.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.