Skip navigation

PD150ARL conversion - tensioner

Back to the top

Info and help please

Hi guys,

I've finally started doing a PD conversion on my caddy, engine is from a Leon.
I've got a few questions that I can not find a definitive answer for… mostly related to the cam belt tensioner 🤷🏼‍♀️

1. So the tensioner, see photo, this is fitted and has a small idler near the crank pulley, no hydraulic tensioner here? I believe the small idler will be in the way of the new mount(currently in the post) if I use the 16v tensioner what belt do I use as the PD is 30mm wide and the 16v pulley is 27mm for a 24mm belt(dims all from googling).

2. Or can I use this tensioner type that is fitted, without the small idler?

3. If I need to use the 16v tensioner has anyone got dimensions for the spacer as I might make a batch on the lathe.

4. I'm going to do a full service on the engine while it's out, cam belt, water pump, oil, filters etc. Anything else recommended?

There doesn't seem to be much info about for the PD tensioner, at least I haven't found anything.. 9CAF57EF-B534-426B-B268-795E7EAB7C6E.jpeg

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Back to the top
Is it really going to be that tight a fit that a couple of mm will make the difference?

I'd find out if it does foul or not before modifying something that you may not need to be.

Great engine choice by the way, love them I've had 2.
One in a Leon @215bhp and one in a Mk4 with 198bhp couldn't fault either of them

Current rides:

2003 BMW 330d Manual Saloon Msport
1985 GTI cabriolet black edition (42k miles)
1999 Triumph Daytona 955i Post apocalyptic, rat, brat, scrambler, steam punk, cafe racer

IMG_20190803_123357.jpg

Back to the top
Any luck finding the solution to the idler issue? 

I'm getting ready to fit a PD 130 and have the same issue, I have got the same tensioner fitted now without the hydraulic part to clear the mount. 

Back to the top

samshook said

Any luck finding the solution to the idler issue? 

I'm getting ready to fit a PD 130 and have the same issue, I have got the same tensioner fitted now without the hydraulic part to clear the mount. 

I didn't fit it, there wasn't the room for it unless you modify the engine mount/hanger on the chassis rail, and even then it I'm not sure if you'd be able to fit it, the cover I modified was close enough to the mount, there's just not much room there!

I've done a couple of hundred miles with it and so far it's not been a problem, I am going to take the covers off and check it soon.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.