Skip navigation

Mk1 pd130/150 TDI engine conversion guide/parts list

Back to the top
Hello all, this is my first post so hello to everyone. Picking up my first MK1 golf gti tomorow! outrageously excited!!

Anyway moving on, im wanting to use my mk1 golf as a daily once ive rebuilt it, so needs to be fast and economical, what better engine then a tdi engine in a lightweight golf

All this is based on a gti with the engine mount where it is, any other mk1's will require modifying the mount. i want to make all my modifications reversable, i dont want to have to cut/ drill any of my bay apart to fit anything, so ive tried to find the parts that allow that

To the point, ive spent a very long time researching everything required to fit a PD150 engine into my mk1 golf (gti), i thought id share all the information ive collected over various forums and posts as i could never find a definitive guide/list of parts needed to get around all the problems. it would be great if people could chime in and add to it if anything is wrong so i can work out exactly how much this is going to cost me, if ive missed anything or got anything wrong

Ok so the engine is a PD150/130 the difference between the two is only a bigger turbo, front mount intercooler and a different ecu map, which makes it easier sourcing a cheaper engine and gives you more scope, either will be fairly easy to map up to 180bhp ish

PD130 engine codes: AUF, AWX, BLT, ASZ
PD150 engine codes: ARL, BTB
These engines can be found across the VW range in various seats, vw's Audis etc

There is also a PD160 engine, but they seem quite pricey compared to the 130/150
I plan to go to a local scrap yard/breakers near me where they let you loose on a big yard of cars to just strip everything i need out of it. either this or to purchase a donor car ive seen some as low as £500 go with tax and MOT, just have to search around on ebay/gumtree

From the donor car you will need:
Complete engine with ancileries, injectors, pump etc you dont need aircon or the power steering pump, but its best to grab as much as possible like airbox, header tank and so on
Engine bay wiring harness
Throttle pedal, not sure without seeing this but i plan to mount it to the existing pedal box as i dont want to drill into my bulk head
Ecu

Gearbox:
It would appear an O2A "CTN" transmission is easiest to fit to cope with the torque and have resonably high gear ratios, its a 5 speed box from a mk3 golf tdi
16v scirroco or late cabby driveshafts with 100mm joints, the lengths of the driveshafts needed are (right 774mm-left 537.5mm)
Mk1 golf EPYTEC 141 O2A rod change conversion kit from (classsic-vw.co.uk) i plan to retain my rod change to keep the car closer to oem but cable shifters can be fitted if you dont mind butchering your tunnel
VR6 clutch
G60 or 16v abf flywheel
1457mm mk1 1.3 RHD clutch cable
Clutch actuator with the part number 02B 141 708 A or EPYTEC do one from classic-vw.co.uk
Support bracket for cable/hydro conversion 357 199 356 or EPYTEC do one again. i plan to convert the hydro clutch to cable so i dont have to cut and weld my bulkhead to support hydro clutch
MK1 golf EPYTEC 351 02A gearbox conversion mounts

ECU/ wiring
Stealth racing/vagtronics for a de immobilise (to enable me to splice the engine loom into my original mk1 loom and retain my mk1 clock) will get them to remap the ecu as well as egr delete + dpf delete?
very politely ask Rubjohny to modify my loom for me for monies (if not ill give it a go myself haha) then its plug and play?

other parts needed
Universal front mount intercooler and pipe work (think with this you kind of have to work out once the engine is in)
Slimline fan and radiator
6pk short aux belt (measure with some string and hit the net for something)
late cabby lift pump as the PD engines are low pressure from the tank and as far as i have heard running diesel through them is fine
2012 Audi A4 inline diesel filter
fuel cooler? not sure on this
the engine mounts on the PD engines are the same as the 1.8t 20v ones, a EPYTEC 389 1.8t mount from classic-vw.co.uk can be used as far as i can make sense of it
16v abf cambelt tensioner? is this correct? from an ABF?
exhaust system/ will i need a custom down pipe?|
from what i can work out thats all the mounts needed to fit the pd lump into my mk1? so no cutting or welding or fabricating is required?

i think thats everything, id grately appreciate it if someone could add to this/modify any incorrect information, think this would be a good place to start as i spent hours all other different forum collecting whats needed from where etc

i plan to strip and totally overhaul my engine anyway as well as the turbo
Darkside developments do pretty much everything you would need to rebuild a PD engine for resonable money

Id like to thank Rubjohny as i noticed all the threads in forums i was reading he contributed a lot of information

anyway wish me luck tomorow picking up my new mk1 :Dits actually just a rolling shell with no engine and all the bits in boxes haha
Thanks Taylor

Back to the top
Very interesting thread. I bought an Ibiza Cupra TDI to use as a donor for my caddy. Currently using the ibiza as a daily for a couple of years. The plan is to drop the engine and gearbox into my mk1 caddy though. Cheers for the list of stuff. Seems by buying the car I have a lot of it.

Back to the top
Check page 56 of my build thread with regards to epytec mounts, they weren't a very good fit on my car but to be fair, this is the only case I've heard of. It's just something to check when you come to fit the engine :thumbs:

Back to the top
Very interested to see what you find out Taylor, I'm thinking of doing the same to my Caddy this Autumn.

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

Check page 56 of my build thread with regards to epytec mounts, they weren't a very good fit on my car but to be fair, this is the only case I've heard of. It's just something to check when you come to fit the engine :thumbs:

Thank you for that information, I also started reading your thread. Working my way through it, its really good! :D

Back to the top
found out anything about Radiators Taylor?

I've heard a Sprinter intercooler might be a good fit

Back to the top

fuus said

found out anything about Radiators Taylor?

I've heard a Sprinter intercooler might be a good fit

For radiators I hear the standard unit is pretty good but a bit tight once youve got everything in. I dont have an expansion tank so I going for a 1.6gti top fill rad which is about £100 from VWH

Intercooler, I plan to sort once Ive fitted my rad and oil cooler. Measure the free space and what sides I need the inlet and outlet on then go to the local scrap yard and start measuring up intercoolers on cars (quite a massive scrap yard) find one that fits and then fabricate brackets up

Hope that helps

Back to the top
Definitely a ABF cam belt tensioner? Heard you can use a smaller PD one like a pd100 or pd105? 

Back to the top
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Back to the top
I used epytec mounts on my tdi every one needed adjusting not exactly bolt on, I also brought the front cross member support which don't fit and don't even start me on about the shifter rods. I ended up using polo 9n shifter and cables with 02j shifter tower

Back to the top
Hi friends, my name is Gonzalo, from Spain, were I have had a diesel mk1 since ever…..
I am doing now the conversion with a very new ARL engine from a  A3 were I am installing the 6v gear box with cable. I am also keeping the Air con compressor and steering wheel pump.  Will also install ABS and trancion control as I plan to install the G60 clamps with the ABS sensors.
This will include new brake lines, rear disks, abs pump and all auxiliary items.
About clocks I plan to jake away the original ones and install  and adapts the MK4 dials, never heard someone has done that before but I would like to clean all the old electrical installation and install all new wiring from the Mk4 donor car.
Any ideas will be appreciated in advance. IMG_5402.JPG IMG_5329.JPG IMG_5395.JPG
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.