Skip navigation

Simply VW 26 June 2016

Back to the top

National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire

My wife was going through the local events booklet and saw this:

https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-vw/

Had a search on this website, couldn't see anything about it. Thought I would pass it on.

Seems this show was held last year at Beaulieu for the first time.

Back to the top
Thanks for that, only down the road for me.  Gives me a target to get mine MOT'd!

1983 Mk1 GTI Tintop Mars Red

Back to the top
Had a good day yesterday at Simply VW show held at Beaulieu Motor Museum.

Only my second show since GarytheGolf has been on the road. Despite being overcast, I got burnt to a cinder,

Only a few Mk1s at the show, very fortunate to follow a standard (unmolested) GTI all the way in to the hard standing.

Met the owner Dave and Camila, very good company for the day with my wife Alison.

We somehow managed to be interviewed by the compere of the show and had many admirers of the cars.

A few photos of the day.

Back to the top
Your mk1 looks amazing Malcolm - just rolled out of the factory. Any more shows planned ?

Back to the top
Dave,

No more shows planned at the moment. As you know, I have a family wedding on the same day as the AGM.

Pretty happy taking the car out on good days, but will finally address the fitting of a Weber carb with manual choke. I have the necessary, just got to do it!

Malcolm

Back to the top
Great photos Malcolm  :thumbs:

The silly thing is when I see the pictures of National Motor Museum I go right back to my childhood . :wub:

My Father was the General Site Forman back in 1970 when they started the project of the new museum and I was 6 years old. It took two and a half years to build and I spent all my schools hols with my Dad (God rest his soul) there from when they started clearing the woodland until the opening day!

Might not sound like much fun to today's kids but believe you me I will never forget the time.

At the ripe old age of 8 I leant to drive for the first time and it was a mini dumper truck but I was soon taken off that.
I drove it down the gravel back road to where they were building the bridge over the stream and as I came down the slope I missed the brake pedal and literally dumped it in the river right in front of my Dad, a JCB had to pull it out.
Oh and I spent the rest of the afternoon sitting in the back of a Ford Zephyr 6.  :$

But how many other people can say that they sat in Sir Christopher Cotterell's first working prototype Hoovercraft before it was restored and of course I did sit in the Bluebird for a few minutes.  :o

image.jpeg

Ok I'm seriously  :offtopic: but it was fun to reminisce.  :thumbs:

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
What a great story!, it's great to reminisce.

I am sure that we all have many stories to tell.

It only took me about 30 mins to get there, I also managed to get to the Spring Autojumble this year.

Back to the top
I also went along for the day, I was in my 1978 Mk1 Scirocco (only one there…) as that needed a run out and what a lovely drive across the new forest.
Good show as a whole verity of stuff on display and cheap entry into the museum.
My 4 year old son did what to know why we was looking around a car park when we first arrived!

Pictures.

Not seen one of these in years and there was 2 at the show!

Golf from the cars the star.

Trip on the bus gave a great view.

Inside the museum

Love a Dino

Child hood memory's.. A friend had one of these, was the strangest thing to ride around on/in..

Top Gear stuff

And that was the end of the day…

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

Back to the top

Malcolm said

Yes, I made a beeline for your Scirocco, lovely car.

Thanks you for that, it's nice to have something a little different.  
I don't think my car is a tidy as yours, your is mint.  :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.