Skip navigation

The looong project 205 gti

Back to the top
Shuffled the workshop around and took a pic of our 1.9 pug. Had it for 20 years now and stood for about 15.

It'll get done eventually and it's pretty complete. Just got to get the golf done first. Oh yeah it need a bath!!

DFE264B1-F974-458D-814F-9D9B6C0B7E6F.jpeg

Back to the top
Great project.

I've got a mate who used to own several 205 GTi's both 1.6 and 1.9 - in the end he said he struggled to get parts for them so he had to let them go. That was a few years ago now. Hopefully their rising desirability will improve parts availability like it has with MK1's!
I drove the last one he had (1.9) about 5 years ago having not driven one for about 20 years. Man it was a hoot. Felt tiny by comparison to modern cars*, but the gear shift was a bad as I remembered it to be!

J

*I haven't driven my Golf for 21 years - still not finished it, but I imagine it will feel the same!

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top
Yeah i bought a 1.9, over 25 years ago now, in fact sold my first mk1 gti to buy it.  Was only 3 years old and brilliant for its time but it got stolen as many hot hatch,s did back then. Got it back but it wasnt the same so i sold it to buy another mk1. Much more recently i bought another but i couldnt live with the terrible build quality and quickly sold it to buy another mk1..I think the 205 is the better drive, and its so pretty but the mk1 feels much more solid..

Back to the top
Back in 2002 a mate had a 1.9 on carbs and my god it was fast.
He actually got a Mitsubishi Tommy Mac Evo 6 after and the little Pug was faster and better looking.

A guy at my local retro meets has just purchased a Dimma GTI,

Still not sure on red carpets though

Current rides:

2003 BMW 330d Manual Saloon Msport
1985 GTI cabriolet black edition (42k miles)
1999 Triumph Daytona 955i Post apocalyptic, rat, brat, scrambler, steam punk, cafe racer

IMG_20190803_123357.jpg

Back to the top
Love my wee Pug, it's tiny, noisy and flimsy compared to modern cars but all the better for it…

Back to the top
It was originally bought for me but I done my test in an auto (big regret) I still love it though.

We managed to get hold of a donor for it, everything except the engine so we've got spare panels for it now but it's scary how difficult the bits are too find.

Yeah I agree the build quality is a bit naff. I defiantly wouldnt slam the door shut on it and I nearly damaged the bonnet a few weeks ago pushing it 😐

bacardincoke 👍 that's stunning. Can't wait till ours looks this good again… one day.

Back to the top
That looks like a great project Jayne.  :cool: We had a laser green 1.6 a few years back but everything I touched broke. I just couldn't get on with the build quality!  :(

205GTI.jpg

I luckily found a few base spec 205's in the local scrapyard and managed to get a lot of parts from them. It's amazing how much some of the little parts/trims are fetching on ebay!

I never got it back on the road before I sold it on. I;m sure if I had been able to drive it in anger I would've been hooked!

Good luck with your build.  :thumbs:

Mk1 Golf floor mats - for tin top and cabriolet - Zero7796 17298Five

Back to the top
Looks like a great project thread in the making....

Back to the top
Used to want one of these and still never driven one.  This and the Renault 5gt turbo… give it a quick wash… after so many years it deserves one then stick more pics up 👍

Back to the top
Unfortunately it's beyond a wash. Under all the dust it's pretty heavy in overspray. We are moving business premises in March so I'll give it a quick rinse before it gets loaded onto the recovery truck. Can't have it looking totally trampy for the trip. I'll post some pics on moving day 👍 

We're only moving a 2 minute drive away but it's the car I'm stressing most about. I love it!!

Back to the top

Jayne76 said

Unfortunately it's beyond a wash. Under all the dust it's pretty heavy in overspray. We are moving business premises in March so I'll give it a quick rinse before it gets loaded onto the recovery truck. Can't have it looking totally trampy for the trip. I'll post some pics on moving day 👍 

We're only moving a 2 minute drive away but it's the car I'm stressing most about. I love it!!

Lol amazing what a lump of metal and plastic can do to your emotions aye!!  Looking forward to those pics in March then.  I think it's the rear end bubble butt and tiny lights I like best on the 205 gti. Really, really distinctive.  I remember wide arch kits etc coming out for them… dread to think how many were ruined.

Back to the top

Spudfingers said

Jayne76 said

Lol amazing what a lump of metal and plastic can do to your emotions aye!!  Looking forward to those pics in March then.  I think it's the rear end bubble butt and tiny lights I like best on the 205 gti. Really, really distinctive.  I remember wide arch kits etc coming out for them… dread to think how many were ruined.

We bought a dimma kit cheap for it then changed our minds. Looking back we definitely made the right decision!! 

Back to the top

Jayne76 said

Spudfingers said

Jayne76 said

We bought a dimma kit cheap for it then changed our minds. Looking back we definitely made the right decision!! 

You definitely did make the right decision there.  Back in the day the wide boy kit was awesome.. but now it would just look like you chucked super glue on it and crashed it through Halfords… MaxPower and Fast Car have a lot to answer for!!

Back to the top
You still on course for moving units next month?  Got the house, bucket and sponge ready?

Back to the top

Spudfingers said

You still on course for moving units next month?  Got the house, bucket and sponge ready?

Yes still on track for the move. I might have to take some pics of it while it's still wet though so it kind of shines 😂 it's a total mess under that dust!! That much overspray you can't wipe it with a micro fibre cloth without it sticking. 

Back to the top

Jayne76 said

Spudfingers said

Yes still on track for the move. I might have to take some pics of it while it's still wet though so it kind of shines 😂 it's a total mess under that dust!! That much overspray you can't wipe it with a micro fibre cloth without it sticking. 

Whatever it takes mate lol.  Just want to see what project you have on your hands.  Love all things retro but pug 205's were one of the motors I wanted in my teens so have a special intrigue… keep us posted bud.

Back to the top
C921F2CB-A03E-4D0A-AF50-3EBCCC9F211D.jpeg

Right… a week behind on the move. Long story!!

Finally got the cars moved today. Didn't get time to wash the pug and tbh I'm shattered with moving the workshop equipment to the new unit. Anyway the pug is tucked away next to the golf and I breathed a huge sigh of relief!!

A4542D16-90E2-4CBB-8CC2-26F8CF77EA71.jpeg 8AD3EE27-068B-42B7-AF7F-35AED7FBB87E.jpeg

Pics are a bit messed up but yeah it's done

Back to the top
Love a French hot hatch, 205 being my favorite 

Looking forward to seeing more of this!

Back to the top
Have a  cti sat in unit.. thought could save it but think it's a big project .. too much whilst trying to do others.

Car starts and drives  on brake cleaner ,changes gears.. but not tried fuel in tank. But needs roof frame repairs and rusting floor pans sorting at very least.

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshiŁ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.