Skip navigation

LHD Inari Silver 1981 Jetta Coupe CL Netherlands Import

Back to the top
Hi guys,

It's been half a year now since I sold the westy Mk2 and missed having a project to work seeing as all my friends have show winning Mk1s and being a student not the best cash injection in the world but been saving up but managed to swipe myself this! It needs a lot of work but here it is: 1981 Mk1 Jetta CL coupe.

So far, myself and Zach have stripped down the pedal box and steering column as the auto box has blown up and came with a manual engine and box etc. So changing that over using a RHD pedal box on a LHD car so we will see how that progresses [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

Also gunked the engine but that'll be coming to pieces to be sprayed and built back up. It was sold to me as having a Webber but has a peirburg on it soooooo again we will see how that one turns out lol

That's it for now! Will try to update this as much as possible!

Cheers

Sam

Back to the top

LHD Inari Silver 1983 Jetta Coupe CL Netherlands Import

Right, haven't updated this in over a year so BIG UPDATE:

First thing to do was establish exactly what was going on next. I decided that the car needed to be semi stripped to see exactly what needed doing.

Found this on the floor pan which was kindly done for me by my father in law. Not that it was noticeable but gives a good piece of mind, it is now waxoyled too.

After that was done, I decided the bay was a bit grubby and started to clean it. However, there was one bit that was annoying me. I decided to chip it off to investigate and next thing I know this happened:

I did start picking at the bay and thought well; I can't leave it like this so; the strip down commences.

I've never really done anything like this before so I took a lot of advice from people and started to remove the seam sealer from the engine bay after removal of the wiring.

After a few weeks of preparing the bay, I started to mask up for what would be the first thing I've ever painted

All done!

Back to the top

After I had done this, I thought I'd have a go at the rusty valance. Worst case, I couldn't make it any worse.

Not by any means perfect but a hell of a lot better!

Back to the top
My favorite color. I've been after a 1980 Inari for ages. Curioustiy hss me, is that your original dash? Ours only got that dash in 1980! Can't wait to see how this comes along!

Back to the top

Hi mate, yeah that's the original dash! Thanks for your kind words, it's come a long way. I'll update the thread later tonight!

Back to the top

This is how the car currently stands:

So I decided to paint some bits up!

Coilovers are on, discs are now on!

Also fitted a brand new steering rack for the manual gearbox conversion. Steering collumn is now being rebuilt and the pedal box changed to manual.

Back to the top

Track rod arms and ends have been fitted and now I'm looking to rebuild the interior back up.

However, my white clip has snapped in the seat runner so I went down to see Kim Cowden and he gave me a set!

I also managed to pick up a set of wheels whilst I was out

Myself and Zach Perez also managed to do the clutch on the new engine too. The engine and box are now mounted thanks to the help of Ryan Dawson and Ricky.

I now just need to secure the mounts, wait for a new bolt kit. Just need to put the servo on, change the brake lines, hoses and put the callipers on.

Oh yeah and new gear linkage needs to be put in with the new exhaust. Getting there now.

Zach managed to find me a NOS badge which I've put on and also this:

Back to the top

A few updates:

Painted some mounts and a bit of the starter, trying to just get it up and running so not looking for it to be perfect currently. Didn't want to paint the whole starter as the block and box hasn't been painted to match and think this would look out of place.

New bits delivered too:

Zach helped me put the engine in as it was in situ; held with a jack and temp mounts. We also removed the exhaust which was rotten and  started to wire up the bay.

Danny Allen lent me a few manuals to help me as this is something I haven't done before.

At least the car is all four wheels now! Finally getting somewhere!

Not perfect and needs a good clean but progress at last!

Back to the top
Nice work mucker. I love a good Inari silver coupe.

I have it's little brother!

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

Cheers! That's really nice that! Your paint looks a lot nicer however lol

Back to the top
Just a lot of time with a polisher and about 18 coats of wax! Amazing what a bit of elbow grease can do   :thumbs:

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

Got some bits!

Also, I've been accepted into Players Classic which is great news!

Sitrep…

So I need to do now:

Fit callipers
Fit braided hoses
Run new brake lines
Rebuild gear linkage
Swap gear linkage
Get the car running
Fit stainless manifold
Fit exhaust
New tyres
Play with fitment
Run speedo cable
Run throttle cable

Then…. maybe I'll be done soon! lol

Back to the top

Had to take the dash back out because the car wouldn't crank properly and as part of the auto to manual swap there were two wires which needed to be rerouted to the engine bay and also the reversing switch wires needed to be on the box.

So again:

Missed a heater vent pipe too so collumn had to be dropped down again.

Back together now… put my timeline backwards a little but we are getting there…

Back to the top

Had a bit of a failure moment.

Plus side is at least I have a reason to get the car painted now lol

That's it for now.

Back to the top

Bit of an update as its been a while.

Haven't really done that much.

New callipers are on with new carriers, braided hoses, brand new brake lines all around!

Got some new bits like new rear drums and internals - NOS blanks and washer bottles etc.

Engine is all running from the key - dash is all back in, need to run a few cables but don't seem to have the correct grommets etc.

Put the Porsche wheels on, just waiting on Danny to get some smaller tyres for me and the car to be complete before I mess around with fitment!

Car also got accepted for Players Classic; didn't make early edition and had to cancel Rollhard Belgium with Team Lowcollective due to personal issues but hopefully it'll be ready for next month.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.