Skip navigation

VW Golf 1.1L 1978 - Some Advice Needed!

Back to the top
Hello all,

To cut a short story shorter - this is my car and it used to be my daily drive for years. It is a 1978 1.1L with the small rear lights. Won an award at one of VW meets once!  A couple of years ago it had a complete stainless steel exhaust fitted. This is how it used to look:
CG_Mint.jpg

Several years of fending off the rust etc has led me to the current position where there's bad rot in the usual places and the engine is currently in two bits waiting for a rebuild.

This is where it is now which is quite sad :(

Golf2.jpg Golf4.jpg Golf5.jpg Golf9.jpg

What I'm trying to establish is:

a) What would the car be worth in its mint state? (first pic above)
b) What would it be worth with the wings just stuck back on and the whole thing sold as a "project"?
c) What would it be worth if someone just trailored it away as is?

I know this is kind of like asking how long is a piece of string but IF I am going to spend the money to take it back to mint I don't want to find that I am hideously out of pocket. I just don't know what this car would be worth these days in good condition.

I saw what looked to be a mint low mileage 5 door 1.1 come on a classic car site recently for £7000. That seemed quite cheap to me and I was wondering if that was due to these "troubled" times and the owner just needed a quick sale or the fact that it was a left hand drive import? Either way, I was left wondering that if all I can expect to get for a mint one of these is about £7k then I'm probably going to be spending well in excess of that to get this thing back up and running.

I know it's always a "labour of love" with these things blah blah blah - but money definitely does grown on trees so I'd appreciate some advice here on what to do for the best….

If the advice is to do it up and keep it then that will be taken on board too ;)

*** Oh - and VW Heritage seem to be out of inner wings so any pointers on this would also be appreciated ***

Cheers!

Back to the top
It's not clear if you're DIY or paying someone £300 a day + parts to do it.

DIYing as much as poss prob may break even. I think £7,000 is top dealer price for a very special non GTI/Cabrio

Paying someone to do it won't make financial sense but if its a family hierloom you may be able to justify it.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Ah - sorry - yes, it wouldn't be DIY. I don't have the skills to do it myself so I'd be paying someone to do it + parts :(
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.