Skip navigation

VW Type Clay Alloy Wheels on 83 MK1 GTI

Back to the top
Have owned a 1983 Lhasa Green GTI Mark 1 for the past 35 years. It came with me to Australia when I moved out here in '93. Fortunately the Aussie climate has been kind to the car, but it is now time for a restoration and I am starting off with the original wheels that came with the car. Does anyone know about these wheels - VW Type Clay? IMG_4589.jpg
Can you still get them new as the spare is 'out of round'? Any useful information will be much appreciated. Many thanks.

Back to the top
Welcome along.

Look very similar to BBS RA.

Never heard of VW Type Clay wheels. Are they aussie or British?

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
G'Day Ian!
The car was bought new from VW Yeovil with, I believe, these wheels (perhaps as an option?). I bought the car in Dorchester when it was about 14 months old and have owned it ever since. Still great fun to drive and only seen one other one in Western Australia. After a year or so a pothole made one of the rims out of round and is now the spare, hence it would be good to get a genuine replacement if one is available.

Back to the top

Back to the top
Excellent! I now have a brand name of the wheels to add to the history of the car. Many thanks!

Back to the top
My car came with a set of these. Very vary rare! I've only seen 2 other sets on a car including my own until now. Dealer optional extras. Very cool. 

Back to the top

Back to the top
After Alloy wheel restoration. All 4 wheels now done!
Attachment
Restored Alloys.pdf

Back to the top
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.