Skip navigation

My RHD 1974 UK Golf

Back to the top
Hi all, I thought I'd say hi and share a few pictures of my recent purchase…

I have been driving a rather tired 77 Polo daily for the last 5 years and have been looking for a good condition swallowail to replace it with. I stumbled accross an ad on here and very quickly secured the deal.

It is an original UK RHD Golf made in October of 1974. I am very new to the Golf world but understand this is very early for a UK Golf.

I have owned a lot of aircooled VW's over the years and my usual plan is to lower cars as much as possible, but this is staying all standard for now. It may be me getting old but there is something I really admire about a classic that is 100% as Volkswagen intended it to be.

The car had not been on the road since 1991 so needed a bit of recommissioning.

I managed to get the engine running within about the first 10 minutes, and drove it round the block using just the handbrake!

My plan is to use the car as my every day car, driving over 30 miles each day to work, so I am not building a show car, but a useable one.

I spent every night for about 2 weeks working on the car, I replaced all 4 tyres, painted the wheels and replaced all the brakes. Annoyingly the fuel tank was very rusty inside, so this had to come out to be cleaned and sealed (I didn't realise how big job this was) I stripped all the interior out and protected the floors, undersealed the whole underside too. Serviced the engine, Cleaned out Carb, the list goes on and on….

The front seats were not original and I was very lucky to find a propper set of early seats on ebay!

Anyway I am now using the car every day, it’s a bit of an on-going project as there are still jobs I want to do.

Here are some pics :) 8.jpeg

11.jpeg

12.jpeg

5.jpeg

7.jpeg   10.jpeg

Cheers!

Back to the top
Nice car, what is happening to the Polo?

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Is it just me or do mk1 golfs just look better with age ? Without being biased 80s early 90s other marks as well ! Enjoy 👍

Back to the top

RichardHall said

Nice car, what is happening to the Polo?

Cheers, I debated selling it but I think I'm too attatched…. So probably lock it away until I get time to restore it.

yo said

Is it just me or do mk1 golfs just look better with age ? Without being biased 80s early 90s other marks as well ! Enjoy 👍

Haha I agree :)

Back to the top
Lovely find and congrats, you might want to check but that looks like a Swallow tail to me… if so super rare!

What is a Swallowtail?

Madone with the two Cabs 82 (UK RHD) and 85 (US LHD) (92 sold)

Back to the top
I saw this was advertised on here, I really wanted it as I sold my Senegal and instantly regretted it, couldn't quite commit at the time tho. 

Looks a good'n, good luck with it dude, how long will you keep it tho? :)

Last edit: by Roach

Back to the top

Roach said

I saw this was advertised on here, I really wanted it as I sold my Senegal and instantly regretted it, couldn't quite commit at the time tho. 

Looks a good'n, good luck with it dude, how long will you keep it tho? :)

Cheers! My plan is to pretty much keep it forever/long term. Then again, everything is for sale at the right price! 
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.