Skip navigation

1983 2.0 ABF 16v Berg Cup Build Thread

Back to the top

Building this with my friends

IMG_1072.JPG This car started life as a 1.1 back in 1983.  I bought it about 15 years ago and I drove it for a few years.

I have since had it prep'd sprayed and body kit put on.

IMG_1071.JPG

I put a polo 1.05 mk2 engine into it as the 1.1 was ceased.  Enjoyed the benefits of electronic ignition and a smooth engine that had only done 20k.

I had big plans to drop a TSR built 2.0 ABF engine with a late KR head into it.  I am finally getting round to it.

IMG_1883.JPG

One of my best friends is an excellent mechanic and we set to work re-building the late KR head.  Total head re-build. New hydraulic tappets, buckets, valves lapped, stem seals.  All new gaskets and beautifully clean.

DVZA8066.jpg

QMLB4245.jpg

ROTV9143.jpg
XQFH1616.jpg

The Jenvey ITBs do look great on the engine and Supersprint manifold is the business.  The 02a gearbox is on the engine with a VR6 clutch kit and lightened and balance g60 flywheel.

I am looking for a little bit of advice.  We have put the following alternator bracket on…
LLIC5245.jpg

This bracket means that there is clearance for the ITBs and the tensioner  is inside.  I am at a loss to discover which alternator I should be using?

I would really like help with the pulleys.  I need a water pump pulley and a crank shaft pulley and the belts.  I am not running air-con or power steering I believe that my pulleys should be smooth and the belts serpentine?  Please bear in mind I am not a mechanic, but my friend is a volvo trained MOT mechanic and he is a handy boy.

Please gentlemen, get in touch.  I have loads of cool things to go on this car and I will be sharing all.

regards

Johnny

Back to the top
Here are  a few more pic gents. NCHR5259.jpg SWVD3192.jpg VASS1947.jpg

Back to the top
Nice work mate, Welcome along.

Alternator wise, you'll probably need the one that would have been on the engine originally as they do have different fixings. You'll have to find a car that had that engine in it originally although I'm sure someone will be able to assist.

As regards the pulleys they'll all need to be in a line so I'd suggest getting down the local scrappy and getting as many different ones of VW's as you can find. The offsets will be different and if you can't find the ones you need you may need to get some shims made up.

Once you've the pulleys in a line use a bit of string and measure the path and then buy a belt of the right size. With belts the number on the pert number are the length.

Good Luck

Ian  :thumbs:

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
you can use the alternator off any car that has the same bracket, it should have a spring underneath it and pivots on the bracket so has a slot in it, I think it comes on non air con equipped cars, both petrol and diesel.

like this one, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK-3-1-8-AUTO-ALTERNATOR-1992-1999/253671093503?fits=Car+Make%3AVW&hash=item3b0ff9b4ff:g:rzgAAOSw~7BamVvB

the other style you don't want is fixed to the bracket with 2 bolts and uses a separate tensioner,

what you will need and is hard to find is a 2.0l 16v abf crank pulley, the 8v crank pulley wont line up with the alternator on a 16v as 8v cam belts much narrower, the 8v pulley is deeper to allow both to use the same alt pulley/bracket etc

there are special bolts to mount the bracket and a stand off for the top right fixing that might be worth looking out for too
ABZ_AlternatorKit.jpg

abf-alternator-setup-for-aba-1.gif

Back to the top

Back to the top
Thank you for replying and the kind welcome. :thumbs:

Back to the top
thanks, sporttrucker. great info!!!  

Back to the top
I can check my ABF if you need me to. Looks like a great project.

Back to the top

scottmk1 said

I can check my ABF if you need me to. Looks like a great project.

Hi scottmk1  Thank you so much for the reply.  You would be an absolute god send if you could provide pics and/or  details for:  crank shaft pulley, water pump pulley and belts.  I was told a VR6 water pump pulley will work and sport trucker told me that the ABF crank shaft pulley is correct for the application.  If I could see your set-up I could copy and it would save a huge nightmare with belts etc.  

Many thanks

Johnny

Back to the top
Hi Johnny, I don't have the ABF in the car, I thought you might just need to see the original VW bracket etc which I can take pics of if it's any help. My ABF is for a future project so it's just sat on the workshop floor at the minute.

Back to the top
Hi,

It should help you in your bracket case:

Bolts, nuts etc.:
028 260 821
028 260 821A
028 260 821 C
N 019 533 10
N 902 291 04
Bracket:
028 903 143 AD
Spring:
028 903 329
Alternator:
030903023F

Back to the top

.wide said

Hi,

It should help you in your bracket case:

Bolts, nuts etc.:
028 260 821
028 260 821A
028 260 821 C
N 019 533 10
N 902 291 04
Bracket:
028 903 143 AD
Spring:
028 903 329
Alternator:
030903023F

Thanks .wide. that's very useful.

I have been looking for a crankshaft pulley and I came across this.

https://www.bahnbrenner.com/media/php/catalog.php?pid=1853&prod_name=BBM_16v_Crank_Pulley_Serpentine_Drive php7s6Pcj_full.jpg

Does anyone know if it would fit?

Back to the top
this is seriously cool! keep the posts coming.

Back to the top
It's a long shot but I have a very special kr head that will compliment your itbs for sale 😉
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.