Skip navigation

Bought my first mk1 golf

Back to the top

This week I made the journey to wales to pick up my first mk1 golf! I'd been watching it on eBay as I'm always keeping an eye out being my favourite car and spotted this 1 which looked in good condition. Spent a full day on it today cleaning and trying to fix a radio problem half fixed it got the door speakers making a fuzzing sound but still no radio music (I'll be looking further into this in the next week) few bits that need doing which will be done in time for summer are replace the convertible hood which the replacement was included in the sale just need to buy the cables to go with, repair driver side bolster on recaro seats, repair the horn as it doesn't seem to be working, the radio problem, replace clutch cable as it looks as if the bush has come off so the wire moves about abit when pressing the clutch and finally get a service.  919E663F-3394-466A-A7FE-FAD3ED9BA22F.jpeg B834A6F4-6995-4C9F-953A-30709306308E.jpeg 4DBC9FB6-73E5-4844-A533-724856F2A927.jpeg CE4BF43C-476A-48AA-A20F-C893E96843B2.jpeg 0BEFD236-5E30-4DD6-8524-E90DE0C4D338.jpeg

Back to the top
Congrats mate, looks like a good un.

Welcome to the club

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
I do like the colour, you don't see many in that colour.

Get to roof changed ASAP, the roof on the car is scrap and you don't want water getting in the car.
Check condition of rear window frame as common to rust away, get the frame cleaned and repainted before fitting new roof as you can't do it later.

When changing the clutch cable check there is a bulk head plate fitted to strength the area as common problem to pull the clutch cable through the bulk head and rip the metal. If there's not one fitted get one soon.

Looks like this and sticks to the bulk head.

https://www.vwheritage.com/171898152-bulkhead-repair-patch-for-the-clutch-cable-vw-spare
https://www.vwheritage.com/171898152-bulkhead-repair-patch-for-the-clutch-cable-vw-spare

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
When looking at the horn remember VW wired them differently from the rest of the automotive world. Most are earthed to the chassis where they are fixed and pushing the horn connects +ve 12v.

With VWs of this age they are feed with +12v when ignition on and pushing the horn on the wheel connects to earth.

Sometimes there is a bad connection at the steering wheel, there is also a earth wire that connects the steering column/rack to the bulkhead. Unfortunately this located is in the engine bay quite low down and gets corroded and drops off.

If twin horns (and single?) there is a relay in the circuit too. As the wiring ages and resistance builds up not enough power gets to the horns to make them sound. A quick fix is to disconnect one horn leaving enough juice to power the single remaining horn.

Last edit: by Early-1800

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Brad0671

Welcome to the club first of all.
Cracking looking Cabby you've got there mate! :)

During your time of ownership your going to be needing a few parts and stuff so why not look at becoming a 'Paid Members'!

We have a list of preferred advertisers for parts and services each even the RAC. All offer constant discounts to our paid members.
Not only that but as paid member you get discounts of everything in our club shop as well as on our AGM.

Many members find that over a year the membership more than pays for itself and on joining or annual renewal you receive a goodie pack stuff with useful freebies!  ;)

Here's a screen shot of our front page and as it changes you need to click on "READ MORE" and follow the instructions. :thumbs:

Screenshot_20180325-103408.png

Sent from my Smartphone

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top

mark1gls said

I do like the colour, you don't see many in that colour.

Get to roof changed ASAP, the roof on the car is scrap and you don't want water getting in the car.
Check condition of rear window frame as common to rust away, get the frame cleaned and repainted before fitting new roof as you can't do it later.

When changing the clutch cable check there is a bulk head plate fitted to strength the area as common problem to pull the clutch cable through the bulk head and rip the metal. If there's not one fitted get one soon.

Looks like this and sticks to the bulk head.

Thanks for the advice I've been phoning around a few local companies that will fit the new hood, the company that was recommend to me I spoke to them and they told me £385+VAT does that sound about right? As for clutch cable I'll have a look on your link but it sounds like what you said. Thanks again for the advice 👍🏻

Back to the top

Early-1800 said

When looking at the horn remember VW wired them differently from the rest of the automotive world. Most are earthed to the chassis where they are fixed and pushing the horn connects +ve 12v.

With VWs of this age they are feed with +12v when ignition on and pushing the horn on the wheel connects to earth.

Sometimes there is a bad connection at the steering wheel, there is also a earth wire that connects the steering column/rack to the bulkhead. Unfortunately this located is in the engine bay quite low down and gets corroded and drops off.

If twin horns (and single?) there is a relay in the circuit too. As the wiring ages and resistance builds up not enough power gets to the horns to make them sound. A quick fix is to disconnect one horn leaving enough juice to power the single remaining horn.

I'll be looking into this at weekend hopefully get it sorted out, thanks for the info will let you know how I get on!

Back to the top

Golf Cabrio said

Brad0671

Welcome to the club first of all.
Cracking looking Cabby you've got there mate! :)

During your time of ownership your going to be needing a few parts and stuff so why not look at becoming a 'Paid Members'!

We have a list of preferred advertisers for parts and services each even the RAC. All offer constant discounts to our paid members.
Not only that but as paid member you get discounts of everything in our club shop as well as on our AGM.

Many members find that over a year the membership more than pays for itself and on joining or annual renewal you receive a goodie pack stuff with useful freebies!  ;)

Here's a screen shot of our front page and as it changes you need to click on "READ MORE" and follow the instructions. :thumbs:

Screenshot_20180325-103408.png

Sent from my Smartphone

I'll have a look at that now looking forward to coming down to the annual event also! 

Back to the top
8FB51E37-9DFD-4E81-A618-C7EC3AAEEB78.jpeg 8F2DE67A-5E9C-4069-A3B0-32A77E99A2BA.jpeg 36E5A2A2-B714-4541-BC1A-6383EDF0A49B.jpeg 6D78C4BF-5F99-48E6-B974-585D9D3D6167.jpeg

Gave it a good wash today and took it to a nice spot 2 minutes away from where I live to get some scenic pictures ha! 

Back to the top
Looks nice, I just bought exactly the same car in Canada in October. Interesting the Canadian version doesn't have Recaro on the seats.

Do you know what the suspension/wheel size setup is and how does it feel over bumps/cornering? I'm just about to begin this mod.

Thanks!

20171016_172916.jpg

Back to the top
Nice cars both of them, the seats aren't Recaro's just standard Golf sports seats but someone has done  a neat job of stitching a Recaro badge on I think.

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Brad0671

If you want to talk about new roofs then you really need to talk to Carl chortle before you do anything.
He is a roof expert, great guy and the clubs go to person for roofs, roof parts and fitting.

He's so good he's just started his own company! :thumbs:

Sent from my Smartphone

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top

simongood said

Looks nice, I just bought exactly the same car in Canada in October. Interesting the Canadian version doesn't have Recaro on the seats.

Do you know what the suspension/wheel size setup is and how does it feel over bumps/cornering? I'm just about to begin this mod.

Thanks!

20171016_172916.jpg

Regarding the suspension no I don't the guy I bought it off had new spring put on but he wasn't aware it had been lowered which it definately has! 

Back to the top

RichardHall said

Nice cars both of them, the seats aren't Recaro's just standard Golf sports seats but someone has done  a neat job of stitching a Recaro badge on I think.

How would I go about finding out if they are genuine recaro as the drivers bolster as you first get in has basically worn away so needs repairing? Cheers 

Back to the top

Golf Cabrio said

Brad0671

If you want to talk about new roofs then you really need to talk to Carl chortle before you do anything.
He is a roof expert, great guy and the clubs go to person for roofs, roof parts and fitting.

He's so good he's just started his own company! :thumbs:

Sent from my Smartphone

Thanks a lot! I've just bought a set of side tensioning cable and the rear window 1 also, is it just the 1 side that you need to buy? As it only looks small sorry if I don't sound the most clues up I've been recommended somebody local who has fitted quite a few of these and he's just told me to buy the bits and he'll fit it for me? 
Cheers 

Back to the top
5671667E-64D7-431A-A4B8-4D560CDC3D8F.jpeg

That's the seat that needs repairing 

Back to the top
Thank's for filling in the gap on the Recaro stitching Richard.

Brad, I've got the same issue on my seat. Talked to an upholsterer he can replace just the seat bolster fabric keeping the seat center fabric intact. His suggestion was to do the two front seat bolsters in leather/vinyl. I didn't like that and will cut a square of the cloth off the ripped bolster and go to a few fabric stores and see how close a match I can find.

You can buy the seat foam insert from a few places, MK1 Auto House, Ebay and probably VW heritage.

Back to the top
Brad, I'm fitting some Eibach springs this week and also be putting on my newly refurbished Avus Snowflake rims. I'll post a photo and we'll see if the drop is similar.

Back to the top

simongood said

Brad, I'm fitting some Eibach springs this week and also be putting on my newly refurbished Avus Snowflake rims. I'll post a photo and we'll see if the drop is similar.

Don't for get you will need to buy shorter or shorten your bump stops when fitting lowered springs or you will find the bump stops will hit over any bump or worse case you drive on the bump stop and have no suspension movement.

Kit I'm going for in my Cabriolet.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eibach-Lowering-Springs-Bilstein-Gas-Shocks-Bumpstop-Kit-Golf-Mk1-Cabrio/232018793570?epid=2223520749&hash=item360565d462:g:0eMAAOSw9KhZ-hQy

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

simongood said

Thank's for filling in the gap on the Recaro stitching Richard.

Brad, I've got the same issue on my seat. Talked to an upholsterer he can replace just the seat bolster fabric keeping the seat center fabric intact. His suggestion was to do the two front seat bolsters in leather/vinyl. I didn't like that and will cut a square of the cloth off the ripped bolster and go to a few fabric stores and see how close a match I can find.

You can buy the seat foam insert from a few places, MK1 Auto House, Ebay and probably VW heritage.

Yeah I didnt want to change to leather other I like the cloth! I've found the foam on vw heritage but they do it for the recaro or the standard so I'm stuck on which to order now 
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.