Skip navigation

Mk1 vs mk2 wheels

Back to the top

Need advice

Hi, I have just bought a 1989 golf gti convertible. The car is in the garage so I don't know how big the wheels are but probably 14s. Does anyone know if I can fit 15 ins Bbs alloys off a mk2 golf gti? Thanks in advance, Richie mk1

Back to the top
image.jpeg Yes you will be fine if they are the 6x15 BBS RA's fitted to the big bumper model MK2.  The Sportline edition came with these as standard, just painted black and silver.

Ideal tyre size is 185/55 15 which the MK2 came with as standard, but 195/50 15 should also be okay in most circumstances.

All above is providing the car hasn't had any extreme suspension modifications.

Many people go bigger than this, but can mean modifications to stop rubbing etc.

Attachment
96 views (361 Kb)

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Thanks for the advice. Thinking about it it's got some spax suspension which lowers it 40mm so might be problematic. I love the Bbs alloys DSC_1223.JPG

Attachment
159 views (3 Mb)

Back to the top
Can't imagine a problem, my tintop has 30mm Sachs lowering and the same wheels, only time I had an issue was with 7x15 BBS RZ with BMW offset so pushing wheels out further and they only just rubbed on bad bumps.

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Yes the wheels fitted to your car are the original wheels, Avus wheels or sometimes called snow flakes.
14" wheel with 185/60/14 H tyres.

I prefer the Avus wheel as less cars on them as every one seems to have some sort BBS wheel.  :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Thanks for your advice Richard Hall, I think they are worth a punt and if they really don't work, sell them. To be honest, I've recently been in into saabs, 2x900 aeros and 2x9000 aeros plus a current 96. But I've always missed that mechanical gti, 112 bhp by modern day standards is rubbish but it shifts. And it looks great, can't wait until my project is on the road!
DSC_1222.JPG

Back to the top
My 88 has 205/50/15 on a 15x8 Riken Turbos.. have Koni coilovers … rubs only on the big bumps

bronze_zpsa6ede075.png

Back to the top

Richie mk1 said

112 bhp by modern day standards is rubbish but it shifts.

It's all down to power to weight, Mk1 aren't luging about air con compressors and components, electric window motors, electric seats, central locking, air bags, ABS pumps, ECUs, etc

Some Mk1 do have some of this electric stuff but I like mine nice and simple, windy windows don't very often go wrong!  :thumbs:

Keep us updated on progress.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

mark1gls said

Richie mk1 said

112 bhp by modern day standards is rubbish but it shifts.

It's all down to power to weight, Mk1 aren't luging about air con compressors and components, electric window motors, electric seats, central locking, air bags, ABS pumps, ECUs, etc

Some Mk1 do have some of this electric stuff but I like mine nice and simple, windy windows don't very often go wrong!  :thumbs:

Keep us updated on progress.

yep power to weight,

mk1 112hp,  810kg  (138hp per ton)
mk7 217hp 1400kg (155hp per ton)

the new engine do have a much TQ though over a large rpm

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.