Skip navigation

Toby's Lhasa Green 1600 GTI

Back to the top
20151205_093329_resized.jpg Hi, I've just picked up this Lhasa Green Mk1 1982 1600 - always wanted a GTI since owning other mk1's when I was younger. My plans are to keep the car looking pretty stock with a few upgrades here and there. Looking forward to attending meets and shows. Anyway nice to meet ya'll. 

Last edit: by BrainsOnFire78

Back to the top
Welcome to the club - You've picked the best! :P.

Get some more pics up when you've settled in.
Looks pretty good from a distance - but then they all do! :lol:.

Back to the top
You're not too far from Mark aka funk-star who runs http://www.classic-vw.co.uk/. He'll sort you out any bits you need.

Back to the top
A very warm welcome to the club.
It does look nice from that shot, so lets see a few more from in and around the car when you've got time.  :thumbs:

Also what sort of upgrades are you looking to do?

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
Welcome hope the car doesn't stay on the  back of truck too long. Mine spend too long getting bits sorted.. 
IMG_20151208_082522.jpg

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshi£ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube

Back to the top
Welcome to the club, looks like a great solid car from the picture.

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Hi all, thanks for the welcome I feel at home already.

Great news the car is a runner, was only on the back of a recovery truck as I had it transported from Somerset back home It has only done 500 miles in the 5 years since it was restored and I didn't want to risk driving it back until I had checked it all out properly and done a cam belt change.

So far the body looks pretty solid, it had a respray when restored, it does now have a bit of rust bubbling under the paint in places so one of the first priorities will be a to sort that out. Also the last owner fitted pattern wings and bonnet on the car which don't fit great so I would like to replace with oem parts.

It also suffers from hot start problem so will look into that as well, is this likely to be the fuel pressure accumulator?

Thats great about classic-vw being so close to me, I've got crazy-quiffs just down the road as well so will be looking to get parts from both if possible.

As far as future plans for the car I would like to do a 2.0 8v conversion, suspension, brakes, front seats and of course the respray - when funds permit!

Anyhow hope everyone has a great Xmas and a happy new year when that happens.

Here's a few more pictures of the car when I went and viewed it, I'm gonna take some new pictures tomorrow and start a build thread soon.

IMG_0633.JPG IMG_0633.JPG

IMG_06311.jpg

Back to the top

Newbie - Princes Risborough - Bucks

Just down the road from me as well, I live in Aylesbury. I'll be sure to wave if I see you passing by :)

Back to the top

I like it, welcome aboard!

1991 Black Sportline 1.8 GTI Cabby - gone

1983 Papyrus Green 1.5 Auto GL Cabby - gone

1984 Nevada Beige MK2 Golf 1.6CL LHD Auto - gone

1981 Schwartz Black MK1 Golf 1600 GTI - gone

Currently Mk1less!

Back to the top

pedropedallo said

Just down the road from me as well, I live in Aylesbury. I'll be sure to wave if I see you passing by :)

Hi, will be looking out for you also then  ;)

Back to the top
Well I had a little petrol leak just in front of the accumulator on the supply line. As I already had the accumulator and non-return valve on the pump to replace (to hopefully solve warm start issues) I thought what the hell and brought the fuel line kit from Crazyquiffs. Now it says on the listing that this kit is "easy to install" so with limited mechanical experience but a lot of enthusiasm I got stuck in on Monday (having the week off).

So today finally I can now say that it is all fitted, yes three days later and a lot of swearing, some blood, sweat and cold toes but only tears of joy! So not a job for the faint hearted. The hardest part I found was fixing the pipes to the bulk head, being a wider diameter tube it was not possible to re-use the clips that the old pipes were secured with so I made some new brackets out of stainless steel, fixing these was a nightmare. I re-used the original rubbers throughout and have used many zip ties so to stop any movement when the pipes are under pressure.

Now the pictures. Enjoy!

IMG_0884.JPG IMG_0884.JPG IMG_0884.JPG

Back to the top
Mods can this thread be moved to 'Projects' thanks Yomp

Back to the top
Ha ha! It seems to be the way alot of us get our mk1's.

good luck with it!

Andy

Back to the top
Well gave the Golf a wash & wax tobay and thought I would take a few pictures. Enjoy!
P4100043.JPG P4100043.JPG P4100043.JPG P4100043.JPG P4100043.JPG P4100043.JPG P4100043.JPG P4100043.JPG P4100043.JPG P4100043.JPG P4100043.JPG P4100043.JPG P4100043.JPG P4100043.JPG P4100043.JPG P4100043.JPG P4100043.JPG P4100043.JPG P4100043.JPG P4100043.JPG

Back to the top
Looks a stunner, do like the interior looks good :wub:

Back to the top
Oh just seen your in bucks, lol looks like we be seeing another GTI about, as mentioned above mark aka funkstar, top man and always there to help, so do see him.if you need anything  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Those seats are sheer perfection!

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top

Wow

Gorgeous car, and those seats are stunning.

I need a tintop gti next and this one is inspiration!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1991 Black Sportline 1.8 GTI Cabby - gone

1983 Papyrus Green 1.5 Auto GL Cabby - gone

1984 Nevada Beige MK2 Golf 1.6CL LHD Auto - gone

1981 Schwartz Black MK1 Golf 1600 GTI - gone

Currently Mk1less!

Back to the top
Hey, thanks, I re-trimmed the seats myself!! Really pleased with how they came out. If you need yours trimming give me a shout I really enjoyed doing it. 

Back to the top
moved to projects
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.