Skip navigation

Panch's 1980 LS with Rallye G60

Back to the top
I've been on here for a number of years now but never started a project thread, I've had threads elsewhere but decided to try and do a full one on here. Kind of stick all the information in one place! So updates to start with will be old but I'll make sure it catches up to present asap.

I've had the car for nearly 12 years now, it started out as a 1980 1.3 golf LS model, the car was my mums prior to me having it and she bought it in 1986 so the car does have a lot of family history! I used this as my daily driver for over two years before I took it off the road as the 1.3 carb engine was getting tired, also a friend of mine had a 1H G60 lump from a Rallye sat there, so I snapped it up! Anyway enough history for now here's a picture of the car as it sits currently!

Excuse the 70s carpet that's left from the previous house owner!

That's it for now I'll try and get some more up tomorrow!

Last edit: by Panch_mk1golf

Back to the top
Lovely motor mate. Seats look good - do you have any interior pics?

Mk1 1983 Helios Blue GTI Engineering

Back to the top
This was how the car was when I first got it.

Here's one of the 1.3 before I removed it.

Original seats, I don't actually have a photo of these in the car but they have since gone to the scrap yard!

One of the current engine when I got it, it was a low mileage engine but I decided for my own piece of mind I'd strip it down and check it didn't have any nasty surprises hiding away.

I quickly noticed the the cam and head were damaged

At the same time as I was doing this I sent the charger to G-werks for a rebuild but this turned out to have a damaged scroll, possibly also the cause of the head damage.

So I had to source another charger and a cylinder head, with it being a 1H engine this meant the head bolts are different. A second hand Rallye head was hard to come by so I bought a PG head and had it drilled out to fit the 1H. Head bolts were also long obsolete by this point so I sent them to arrow precision and they matched them up to ARP Sierra cosworth head studs, being one of the only choices I had I decided to use them. A piper 268 cam also fell into the mix around this time and the head was ported and machined 3 angle valves+seats.

Old+new

Head after its rework

Managed to pick up a second hand charger that had just been rebuilt by jabba sport with a 68mm pulley and stage 4 porting 

Last edit: by Panch_mk1golf

Back to the top
Whilst the car was still on the road it was treated to some fk coil overs and its first set of wheels, some ATS classics and massive tyres.

Eventually it came round to time to remove the old engine and get cracking with the G60

Which left me with this

Next on the list was moving/renewing the chassis leg engine mount. Luckily a friend of mine was willing to do the welding.

Next I painted up the new mount and removed the old one

Back to the top
Then gave to bay a good clean up.

Back to the top
Painted the block 

Fitted a windage tray and had a baffled sump made

Fitted a new water pump and trialed the ARP head studs

In the mean time a set of recaro's on custom bases made there way into the car and a red stripe Gti rear bench but with the standard brown door cards this was all a bit much!

Back to the top
Whilst the mk1 was off the road I needed something else to run around so naturally I bought another mk1! This was a Helios blue 83 campaign it was a bit rough round the edges but it went really well, before I had done anything I serviced it and had it rolling roaded and it made 125bhp no idea if it had had any previous engine work. I fitted a mild steel four branch, Jetex filter and power rohr intake pipe (think that's what they were called) and pretty much left the engine alone other than servicing after that, it got treated to some FK Konigsport coil overs and some RSL cults and this was pretty much how it stayed for nearly 3 years before I unfortunately wrote it off by crashing into the back of some one.

Really enjoyed this car and how the K-jet drove, but it met its end at 170000 miles exactly and I broke it for spares and kept what was useful for the G60.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Anyway next time back to the G60

Back to the top
Found a picture of both my mk1s with richievr's stunning mk1!

Back to the top

Panch's 1980 LS with Rallye G60

It's nice to not have to wait ages for a build thread and crack on reading through! Shame about the campaign though mate!

Have you decided on an interior or have you stuck with the harlequin look?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1986 Cabriolet (long resto!)
1983 Cabriolet (daily pain in the bum)
1983 T25 (weekend pain in the bum)

Follow us on:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/
Twitter: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/
Instagram: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/

Banner

Back to the top
Haha I'm going through about 8 years of photo bucket trying to get this thread up to date, I'm doing the updates on my tea breaks on my night shift. It was a shame about the campaign it was great as a daily!

The harlequin interior has long gone and does all match now haha

Back to the top
One of the many hurdles I've had to over come was going from carb to injection so this meant sourcing a Gti tank and fitting a pump and loom.

Brand new pump, stainless mounting cradle from Crazyquiffs

Braided fuel lines

I also found out at this time that my filler neck had seen better days, it actually fell off!

So I ordered up a new one, it is now fitted but I've never been impressed with the fit so I may take it off again and adjust it as they say

As you can see on the new one there wasn't much left to hold it on!

Back to the top
Looks great with the braided hose  :wub:

How did you do the wiring for the fuel pump? I assume, that you also mounted a fuel relay?

1982 - Mk1 Golf 2.0 AGG 8v - 158 HP / 202 NM

Back to the top
I had a Gti loom so took the fuel pump wires from it and used a couple of off the shelf 4 pin relays piggy backed. I need to change it for a better set up as it currently doesn't prime the pump.

Back to the top
What do you have in mind to replace it?

I thought about following your example and build one with a Bosch 4 pin relay, but got stock on primer as you write  :|Ps. Love your brown BBS centres - great detail ;)

1982 - Mk1 Golf 2.0 AGG 8v - 158 HP / 202 NM

Back to the top
I was looking at either using the standard Gti relay or a mate does have a rocco wired up with a mk3 golf abf relay so I was going to look how that's been done. It's on my list of things to do but haven't got round to looking at the diagrams yet.

Cheers it's actually a Kia brown! 

Back to the top
Next to get some attention was the wishbones and roll bars, as it was a small block it needed all the mounts and wishbones replacing so I could fit the roll bars, I was lucky at the time it was all still available from Vw so it was all genuine parts and eibach roll bars.

Also did the rear beam mounts and fitted a rear roll bar

The beam actually gets a full refresh later in the thread!

And the steering rack

Sorry for some of the photos being poor but they are all I have and they were taken a while back!

Back to the top
Initially I was going to use a sprinter inter cooler but I didn't like how it only just fitted between the chassis legs, luckily I was also in the right place at the right time and was offered a pitstop developments one that was brand new but had a small dent in the top so I snapped that up instead and also got a brand new corrado G60 radiator

Built up a collection of powder coated parts ready to fit up, I wanted to polish the rocker cover but changed my mind.

Fitted new track rod ends and steering rack boots.

Back to the top
Fitted up a helix organic plated clutch and Gti flywheel with all brand new genuine fixings.

Mated it up to a Gti gearbox and put the box and bottom end in the engine bay!

The Gti box didn't stay in there long though……..

Back to the top
Great story so far, what a cracking little mk1 it is😍

Back to the top
Thanks for the kind words! I've got a lot to post from this week but I'm still playing catch up!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.