Skip navigation

Aaron's 1980 mk1 build/progress

Back to the top
Hey guys, i said hello in the newbies section but wanted to get this thread on the go as ive started on my long list of work!

So shes a 1980 series 1, 1.1 5 door in yellow with small rear lights. Plans begin with sorting the body work out (a bit crusty in places) and then general tidy up with possibilities of an engine conversion. Also need to replace the door seals as im leaking somewhere!!

Today i got the seats and carpets out to get them cleaned as they were underwater and mouldy! Hopefully they will clean up nicely…heres some pics of the old girl and also of the progress from today…

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Looks like a great project, and you've already got the little one involved! It doesn't get much better than a yellow Series 1.  :thumbs:

Back to the top

Re:

Fausto said

Looks like a great project, and you've already got the little one involved! It doesn't get much better than a yellow Series 1.  :thumbs:
Cheers and yeah i can't keep little man away! He came and viewed the car, helped get it off the trailer and is now "helping" fix it too he wanted his yellow coat and yellow chair too!

Back to the top
So far so not too bad.

Whats the plans then mucker?

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
These cross over S1-S2 are cool.  I used to own a very similar car a few years back.  Only difference was it started life as a 1.5 diesel.

Good luck with the resto

Jim

Back to the top

Re:

borednow said

So far so not too bad.

Whats the plans then mucker?

Ian
First thing is to get the old girl roadworthy, going in for some welding soonish, late feb early march, then just a tidy up. Engine conversion is on the cards at some point too…see how quickly i dislike the 1.1

Back to the top

Re:

GTI_Jim said

These cross over S1-S2 are cool.  I used to own a very similar car a few years back.  Only difference was it started life as a 1.5 diesel.

Good luck with the resto

Jim
Cheers dude, really looking forward to playing, enjoyed the corrado before but the mk1 is a bit special

Back to the top

So……She runs!!! After some tinkering and replacing some of the ignition setup, she sparked into life, even better is she drove up and down the drive a little too! I cant put a video of it up as it says its too large

Back to the top

Thats a link to a video i put on my instagram page….dont know if it will work on here or not…

https://www.instagram.com/p/BslDs3djUef/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=osnmckdz37hj

Back to the top

Spent sunday playing paint correction. The whole car is covered in these little rust spots, its like grinding or welding sparks have set in the paint.

Im know painter and this was the first time ive tried tackling this kind of thing…i used 1200 wer and dry and then a machine polish. A friend of mine who is a painter is hopefully going to gather a couple bits up for me to use and teach me how to do it properly too.

Heres some photos from the day…

Back to the top
I've never been a fan of yellow cars, but yellow on a mk1 looks awesome, always been a fan of small bumper 5 doors

Back to the top

I was the same to be honest! Never ever thought i would own a yellow car but when i found this i had to have it haha! Im planning to put small bunpers on when ive got everything else sorted out

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.