Skip navigation

8v tuning project - 158 HP (On for paint!)

Back to the top

2,0 AGG conversion, G60 PG

After having sold my 222 HP ITB/9A-powered beast Cabby, I have decided to go for a new tuning project based on the 8v platform.

The goal is to achieve 160+ hp on a 2 litre 8v :)The base is a solid 1982 tintop with a 1,5 litre JB engine.
I have already done a carb-conversion to 2x40mm Solex sidedraughts with manifold and throttle-linkage.
On the exhaust side, there is already a 4-1 stainless steel manifold and 2,5" Jetex-system fitted.
so a very good base to continue a 8v project on.

A few images on how "Otto" sits today:

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edit: by Hurtig

1982 - Mk1 Golf 2.0 AGG 8v - 158 HP / 202 NM

Back to the top
Two shots of my, sadly, previous Cabby :( image.jpeg image.jpeg

Back to the top
The base is a 115HP 1995 VW Golf 3 GTI with enginecode AGG.

Full history, complete, and only covered 139.000 km.

I quickly started to strip the engine from it's auxilliaries. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Back to the top
Got a new PG cylinderhead from eBay from a 1,8 G60 with big valves for maximum flow.

The head is sent off to my tuner to have new valve guides (old worn as hell ..) and to undergo a massive P&P together with the induction manifold for the Webers.
He is of course testing and working on a proper flowbench.

His own car is a NSU 1200 TT with 136 HP on a 1,2 litre engine - so stunning and built to perfection.

I have also gone ahead and bought some nice goodies from BAR-TEK Motorsport:

- Adjustable camshaft pulley - BARTEK
- Scrick valve cotters
- Lightweight lifters/cam followers - BARTEK
- Performance valve stem seals - BARTEK
- Cometic steel gasket

And a Haynes from eBay :D

. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Back to the top
Got "Otto" driven to his home for the next few months :)An isolated garage with a 4-pillar lift, compressor and air-tools.

One of the other cars is a nice 1275 Cooper GT to keep him company.

Will soon pull out the old JB-engine and start work in the enginebay.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Back to the top
Got some new goodies  :wub:

- Schrick 288 camshaft
- Schrick race valve springs
- Schrick retainers

A bit expensive, but have decided to go all the way on the head and to make no compromises - everything is new an switched for upgraded/stronger items.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Back to the top
Got cracking on with the engine disassembling.

Engine looks solid.

The engine will be completely stripped an boiled in an engine washer to clean out all the water and oil-channels for old sludge. Then rebuilt with all new bearings, seals etc.
The cylinder walls will be freshly honed for the break-in of the new piston rings.

I will aim for a 11/11.5 cr and will probably skim off the head and the moon-shaped crown on the pistons.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Back to the top
Fiddled around and restored all the bolts, cambelt covers and all hoses, hose clips etc.
All hoses were treated to a generous siliconespray shower.

Did not take many pictures sadly, but it all turned out nice :(

Also got a set of 15" BBS RM splits (002) with Radinox lips, that will receive a final polish and go well on the car.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Back to the top
A different sort of performance build which will be of interest to lot of enthusiasts  :thumbs:  

Does the AGG engine bolt into the standard DX engine mounts? If so that'll make the conversion a lot easier for most.

Will the 020 box bolt onto the AGG block or will you be forced to use an alternative gearbox and  gear change /clutch set up?

It'll be interesting to see the finished projects performance data and your overall view as to what its like to drive/ its fuel use and to live with on a day to day basis.

Keep at it :ocf_emoticons__reading:

Back to the top
Quite interesting, dont see many 8 valves given the treatment these days, understandably so with the alternatives available.

Back to the top

ConvictGTI-No.1983EW said

A different sort of performance build which will be of interest to lot of enthusiasts  :thumbs:Does the AGG engine bolt into the standard DX engine mounts? If so that'll make the conversion a lot easier for most.
Yes it does

Will the 020 box bolt onto the AGG block or will you be forced to use an alternative gearbox and  gear change /clutch set up?

Yes no problem Only the Dizzy requires an addaptor/Mod

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top
Righto sounding better all the time!

In regards to wiring up the engine, I assume the new AGG motor can run the Mk1 fuel injection with minimum alteration to the fueling/engine bay wiring?

160Hp in a Mk1 Golf given its weight is plenty in my opinion. You can create a really nice ride with the addition of a trick diff, rear brake upgrade, a set of KW stage 2 coil overs and a nice set of 15 inch BBS wheels.

Many of us will be interested to see how much the project ends up costing you, including of the course the BBs rims and tyres :wub:

Keep a tab as a "bang for your bucks" comparison with a 9A, KR or ABF conversion would be an interseting debate :ocf_emoticons__detective:

Back to the top

ConvictGTI-No.1983EW said

A different sort of performance build which will be of interest to lot of enthusiasts  :thumbs:Does the AGG engine bolt into the standard DX engine mounts? If so that'll make the conversion a lot easier for most.

It'll be interesting to see the finished projects performance data and your overall view as to what its like to drive/ its fuel use and to live with on a day to day basis.

Keep at it :ocf_emoticons__reading:
The idea was to go a different route this time - already tried the 16v route with the 9a (which was quite impressive). Quite liked the idea of a heavily tuned 8v :)The engine is a straight forward swap and will fit all engine mounts.

The existing 5 speed 020 box and driveshafts will be re-used as it is in excellent condition with low mileage, but the clutch will be switched to a Sachs 210mm Golf 2 GTI, as well as a 210mm flywheel also from a Golf 2 GTI.

I will use the JB-dizzy with the gear taken from the AGG-dizzy.

Regarding fueling and wiring, there is no issue, as I will convert to 2 x 45 mm Weber DCOE carburettors.
I will of course fit fuelpressure regulator and a matching mechanical pump (Facet or similar).

As for bang for the buck, there is no match to a 16v - tuning an 8v is expensive considering the output, but this is the route I want to go :thumbs:Sometimes it is fun to follow a different path!

Back to the top
Regarding brakes I am going for a 280mm G60 conversion (front brakes).

Got these adapters from eBay yesterday and need to source calipers, carriers, discs, pads and a new brake servo/booster from a 16V.

bremser.jpg

Also found a few shot with the BBS fitted :cool: IMG_0664.JPG
IMG_2128.JPG IMG_2131.JPG

Fitted a GTI Spyker steering wheel from a swallow-tail GTI, as well as a cigarette-lighter/12v output :wub: IMAG0014.jpg

Enginebay as it sits now (in need of some TLC ..) O_o IMAG0892.jpg IMAG0892.jpg

Back to the top
Some more enginebay pics + pics of the current 2 x 40 mm Solex carbs from an Alfa Spider :lol:(makes lovely noise though).

The ignition is AccuSpark ignition coil and electronic ignition conversion instead of the old platins.

IMAG0896.jpg IMAG0896.jpg IMAG0896.jpg IMAG0896.jpg

Back to the top
Interior shots :) IMAG1058.jpg IMAG1058.jpg

More BBS :wub: IMAG1060.jpg

Had to settle for a small GTI-spoiler (the big 2-piece duck lip spoiler keeps getting smashed ..) :( IMAG1069.jpg

Back to the top
Right - engine and head is by my tuner to get the Royal treatment  :wub:

That means that it was time to tackle the engine and get it out of the shell - managed to do it in 3,5 hours by myself - a bit proud of that, as I have never tried to remove an Engine before. Was quite chuffed with the state of the shell - especially the battery tray was in good shape. Bay will be cleaned and degreased - don't think I will need to paint it.

Next job is to strip old engine from gearbox and other bits and bobs. The gearbox needs a cleaning and a lick of paint. 

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Back to the top
The stainless steel manifold should clear the steering-rack (fingers crossed).

image.jpeg Will though have to come up with a solution for protection as it hits curbs etc because of the lowering  :( image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Back to the top
Had a good check of the shell.

Sills are perfect as well as arches and doors etc.

The rear stoneguard panels will have to be checked - they are solid, but will not continue to be so if not dealt with.

Underneath it is a beauty, because of the PAVA-rustproofing (black stuff).

All in all she is in great shape  :thumbs: image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Back to the top
Also have some upgrades.

GTI covering for gearbox, for mounting of VDO gauges and place to put stuff like sunglasses etc.

Also got a new wiper linkage as the old one is stuck. Will fit with new wipers and GTI wiper arm with wind-deflector  :)

Also was lucky to catch the mouse, that I knew was living in the car ..! Quite a big .. And smelly .. fella'  :o

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg