Skip navigation

1990 mk1 cabby barn find

Back to the top
This post is long overdue as I have owned my cabby for just over 4 years now so I thought I'd share with you all my journey and future progress I found my 1990 cabby on a farm and it has been locked away for around 5/6 years in a barn. I originally set out to buy a manual tintop so naturally I ended up with an automatic convertable  The seller says that the roof does not work and will need new brakes as it has not moved for 5/6 years. The car is only on 77000 miles and underneath all the grime looks to be in good condition. XTQJ8004 (2).PNG RBCM3725 (2).PNG MVFU0694 (2).PNG XHZF8166 (2).PNG as you can see shes not in the greatest condition and you cant see from the last pic but the interior is covered in mould from the leaky roof.

Back to the top
got her home safe and sound :thumbs: time to give her a little bit of love

WNMZ6430.JPG

Its amazing what you find under your rear seats.
UJWK4103.JPG

LODP6290.JPG

quick clean of the interior gets rid of the mould

HHPJ5457.JPG

REJY9778.JPG

UNTH3309.JPG

only had it 1 day and i broke the mirror :lol: YANY2703.JPG

AIGI6501.JPG

Back to the top
Its raining but i'm gunna wash her anyway

LSXY0369.JPG

LKJN4731.JPG

HGTD6790.JPG

UBOM5864.JPG

much better :) still in desperate need of a polish but loads better than it was. afew dents and scratches but nothing major

Back to the top
And he said the roof wasn't working……..ha

XMAM9061.JPG

just had to read the instructions and it worked fine and just to be safe topped the motor up with hydraulic fluid

Back to the top
couple of bits done to the golf today, fake porsche door handles added.

PUDA0895.JPG

VAZJ5412.JPG

removed some unnecessary wiring from the engine bay which included a rubbish aftermarket alarm that doesn't work
HQVU2143.JPG
IUYQ4220.JPG

removed the plastic number plate trim to try and tidy up the back end
MNZJ9907.JPG

Back to the top
i received some goodies at work today :P IRHB5954.JPG
HPDF8144.JPG

Back to the top
time to fit the goodies
JFYY9244.JPG

smoked crosshair headlights in
LEKI7243.JPG

badgeless grille fitted replacing the twin headlight for single and while i was at it I took off the number plate surround
EAPR1165.JPG

gave the engine bay a quick clean as the bonnet was up
FHOM0100.JPG

Back to the top
looks like someone found the polish :guitar::guitar: I cant believe how well the red has come up. went over the car with a machine polisher and some cutting compound and the results speak for them self.

NPNB7981.JPG
WPHR6865.JPG
EZSM3135.JPG
HLWK0583.JPG

Back to the top
bought myself some coilovers :o. I'm proper excited for this
started on the rear as that is always the easiest
SLBP0622.JPG
BRBM9368.JPG

on to the fronts
LCEU4493.JPG
UJLT6873.JPEG
WLWD2734.JPG
thats as low as i can get it on these tyres ans its rubbing the arches

Back to the top
bought a new radio today as the one that came with the car was rubbish and hardly worked

urmmmmm:oO_o IQVG9157.JPG
so with limited knowledge I have to re-wire the radio loom
KPWY1395.JPG

that'll do it, well the radio works anyway lol

Back to the top
been driving about today trying to get some quotes for as respray and they all said the same thing, "it depends on the condition of the car under the bodykit". well i better take a look then.
XQJX8847.JPG
QBNF9561.JPG
HDGU7253.JPG
PLHP2291.JPG
DBUE8198.JPG
MHQW7158.JPG
TBUK9615.JPG

so it turns out the golf is quite clean under the kit. I really like it so i think ill leave it like this for abit

Back to the top
a few more bits done today.
New smaller tyres fitted so I lowered the car some more, lower chrome trim getting rid of those clips, front splitter on, rear arch guards and clear rear lights fitted
SOYZ7629.JPG
IMG_E8880.JPG
TQKE6257.JPG
FRGT7040.JPG
ooo shes low 

Back to the top
Some shiney bits arrived :o this should change the look of th cabby

OAMN3571.JPG
JLMR6482.JPG
KOFW0435.JPG
ignore the genuine p.o.s in the background i got rear ended in my nismo rs juke :'( LHQQ8143.JPG
EDVD8880.JPG

so happy with how the bumpers have made the cabby look. completely changed the look of the car

Back to the top
took the wheels to refurbished, gold with diamond cut lip

GEAN3726.JPG
TCUB4110.JPG

Back to the top
with edition 38 fast approaching i had a few things needed sorting out. new sump had to be fitted as i smashed the last 1 so while i was waiting for the oil to drain i lowered the car abit more :lol:.
LHQO8982.JPG

gave the paintwork another go with the machine polisher and some g3 followed by alot of dodo juice products
TMEP9656.JPG
OQEY7433.JPG
RMWN5462.JPG
WZHH2204.JPG

Back to the top
a few more changes to the golf today

rocker cover gasket needed doing and changed grille and clear cross hair headlights while i was at it
IMG_1956.JPG
IMG_1959.JPG

changed the spark plugs, ht leads, distributor cap and fitted a topfill rad
IMG_2816.JPG
oh and i polished up the rocker cover :cool:

Back to the top
Goody time again :):$:thumbs: OQFK8408.JPG

the outer window scrapers were definitely past it so reclaced those
IMG_7735.JPG
IMG_7736.JPG

New chrome door handles look the part
IMG_7747.JPG

and once again replaced the sump :P along with new radiator fan as the bearings had gone.
IMG_7721.JPG

Back to the top
You could do with a skid pan with the car being that low on the terrible roads with those speed bumps.  :lol:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
ive thought about that but then i'd be even lower  :dry:

Back to the top

1990 mk1 cabby barn find

Well done mate like the thread,youve done a good job,,, you went for the same headlights and grille as me,,, mines a 1990 g plate ,ive been detailing the bay for some time now and getting it mechanically sound ,i will put some pics on

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.