Skip navigation

1986 mk1 golf gti cabrio

Back to the top
Hi all,
Just purchased this 86 mk1 golf gti for a reasonable price now I only bought the car to take the interior and the electric windows out of it, but now I'm thinking do I restore this? It has 82k genuine miles and has been garaged and off the road the 13 years and only has 3 previous owners, car looks to be in good shape no rust atall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Buy a used interior, clean the car up, service it, run it for a bit and sell it on.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Back to the top

1986 mk1 golf gti cabrio

It's actually being delivered as we speak with a another interior which is a bonus,

Back to the top
Think you should restore it  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top

1986 mk1 golf gti cabrio

pazwaa said

Think you should restore it  :thumbs:

Matt
I was going to mate but I've just lost my space in a garage so I'm forced to sell

Back to the top

1986 mk1 golf gti cabrio

Think it should be restored to many are broken up.  However if you do decide to break it up there are few bits I would be interested in or if you decide to sell complete let me know a price

Back to the top
Shame to break that Darren, if its has all the bits for the dash and a spare interior why not put it back together and sell it as a project, does it start/run?

Like them in White, shame I bought a blue one!!!!

Back to the top

1986 mk1 golf gti cabrio

I've put all the dash back together just need to work on getting the engine running as it's not ran for over 10 years, it turns over but doesn't start so going to have a good look at it tomorrow and go from there, how's your mk1 doing?

Back to the top

1986 mk1 golf gti cabrio

New sparks, HT leads Inc king, coil and I presume it's k-jet take the air pipe off give the disk a clean. Spray some carb cleaner in throttle body and I bet it will fire up. If it's rough add new fuel filter and check the fuel line in tank think this year one had the lift pump fitted.  

Back to the top

1986 mk1 golf gti cabrio

Fingers crossed it will do will update use tomorrow thanks for the help

Back to the top

Dazrodge said

I've put all the dash back together just need to work on getting the engine running as it's not ran for over 10 years, it turns over but doesn't start so going to have a good look at it tomorrow and go from there, how's your mk1 doing?

Shes running a treat, MOT done with no failures.
Complete mechanical strip down and rebuild.

Interior is stripped ready for new speakers, cables, electric aerial and complete sound proofing.

Seat retrim next, bloke let me down for this weekend, so have to rebook.

Next year, a full respray.

Hope you can at least get this white car started, then sell it as a project with no MOT.
Might want to give her a clean too  :lol:

Back to the top
Dont forget to update this thread with pics Darren...!!!

Back to the top

1986 mk1 golf gti cabrio

BirchyB0y said

Dazrodge said

Shes running a treat, MOT done with no failures.
Complete mechanical strip down and rebuild.

Interior is stripped ready for new speakers, cables, electric aerial and complete sound proofing.

Seat retrim next, bloke let me down for this weekend, so have to rebook.

Next year, a full respray.

Hope you can at least get this white car started, then sell it as a project with no MOT.
Might want to give her a clean too  :lol:
Sounds fresh mate you'll have to send us some pictures over once she's all done, I will do hopefully get this engine started tomorrow and then decide what I'm going to do from there cheers mate

Back to the top

1986 mk1 golf gti cabrio

Any idea on how I put a video on here? Engines still not starting, it turns over gets to a thousand revs then cuts out

Back to the top

1986 mk1 golf gti cabrio

When you say gets to 1k are you letting it idle for a bit or will it just not run. I have this from cold constantly I let it idle so engine warms up a bit then rev. Mine is down to a dodgy WUR I believe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back to the top

1986 mk1 golf gti cabrio

It won't fire up from there it starts to 1k then cuts out straight away, it's like when you have no fuel in and it sort of starts, I have put fuel in it so that can't be the problem, checked the fuel filter and the fuels pumping through to that fine so no idea, I have a video of what it does but don't know how to put in on here

Back to the top

1986 mk1 golf gti cabrio

Have you got a in tank pump if so check the pipe on that could be sucking a lot of air in is it kjet

Back to the top

1986 mk1 golf gti cabrio

Yes it's k jet, and I'm sure the pump is near the accumulator and not in tank

Back to the top

1986 mk1 golf gti cabrio

Lift rear seats and undo the dist under this will be your sender unit and possibly a lift pump if so check that pipe

Back to the top

1986 mk1 golf gti cabrio

Also if ur brave enough take the kjet apart there is a pin that can get stuck lubricate it rebuild it I have a diagram somewhere I can send you

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.