Skip navigation

1983 Alpine White Gti Restoration

Back to the top
its about time i made a thread on this site. so here is my project.

Purchased in 2009 as a daily with the intention of restoration, then I started working for a cruise line. now I'm home and the restoration side of things has begun.

purchase condition

it slowly got more and more tatty with me using it a few times every 6 months or so and then when I came home became my daily when I wasn't using my motorbike.

it failed its mot and I felt it was time for the car to head to a body shop. after a few looks around local and far I decided on the guys at Resto-Shack here's a few images of me stripping the car and a couple of how it currently is down at there unit to follow.

The cars now come back from the shot blasters and revealed a couple dodgy repairs from the past.

One on the mount for steering rack and another on an inner seal

Before Blasting

After Blasting

Stripping Pain From Panels.

Inner Arch Work

Seals

Bottom Of Drivers Side Rear Window

Rear Valance

Outer Arch

arches were finished on the drivers side and then done on passenger side along with new seals

rear valance was finished off

sun roof was in awesome condition

but removed anyway

the scuttle and apillar was also in a very good condition

tidied up nicely

they then sprayed the underside of the scuttle before welding it on as to give it that extra touch

inside was also sprayed but I cant find a picture of the finished product.

I had the chassis rails straightened out

the car has now entered the spray booth for priming

i waiting a long time for this.

if you would like to keep up to date with its progress search "Resto Shack" on facebook.

thanks for looking guys and i will do my best to keep this updated.

Back to the top
Very thorough resto thread thread so far mate. Interested to see how it turns out.

Bet it has cost a fair few £££ so far.

Good luck with the rest of it mate. Looking forward to updates.

Back to the top
Very, very nice work  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Some lovely work gone in to this, Love that roll over jig :wub:  wan't one!! :lol:

Back to the top
Ahhh that takes me back seeing a white painted shell, now the fun part begins putting it all back together, looking good and looking forward to build up, nice one :thumbs:

Back to the top
Looking forward to see more of this fresh build, nice work mate!

Back to the top
WOW! some top work there!, keep the updates and pics coming gona be mint when finished :-)

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
wow indeed!!! awesome work gonna be a belter when finished!! keep up with the pics..  :)

1983 mars red gti
1984 mars red gti
1994 golf vr6 - gone but not forgotten
2005 mk5 gti family wagen

Back to the top
Nice work.

Back to the top
Great work!

Back to the top
Thanks for the comments guys, wish i could take the credit for the work but its all dave and lil's hangy work

cant wait to put it back together, ive still parts to buy so the shells gone into storage for a few months. need to find an engine that isn't munched (found a couple dogs so far!) and re-trim the interior. when the shell comes out it needs to be polished also hopefully in time to head to some shows early summer.

Back to the top
Some lovely work here, the shell looks fantastic  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
Seriously impressive work that!  :thumbs:
Can't wait to see it finished.  :thumbs:

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top

mattgee said

Amazing. That looks sooo nice! :wub:I could look at that all day. :$

Back to the top
sadly not a whole lot has happened as she sits and waits! but there has been alot of ordering happening, and cleaning some parts up which i thought i would treat you all too.

cleaning my gearbox, this is the only photo i have but is now further along after some wire wheel.

i put the inlet mani through the shot blaster in work to clean it up and am going to polish further, while im just using a bit of paper to tidy up the throttle body.

here are the parts ready and waiting to be put together

broke the brakes down ive cleaned them up and getting some heat resistant paint this weekend to finish them off.

these were treated to a coat of primer after a clean down.

spot the new employee.

some goodies needing a paint after a clean up or just new needing paint.

got to see the old girl.

but enjoyed looking at this too.

also started to finish off cleaning the gearbox and the exhaust (after burnt badger bought back baaad memories.) the new spax adjusties were assembled as well as some helping around the bodyshop good time spent with my last few days of holiday instead of twiddling my thumbs.

i was not very snap happy so missed a few picture opportunities. thanks too the shack for the hospitality!!

here the car lies waiting. but is in good company

Back to the top
Loads to be getting along with there mate. She's going to be a beauty when finished. Good luck with the work dude.

Smudger

Back to the top
Nice work and some nice other cars lurking in there  :cool:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Lovely work there! Wonder what the cost of something like this is?

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Nice work and some nice other cars lurking in there  :cool:

quite a few deltas the martini one used to be owned by a member of the fiat family a 1 off tuned by abarth shes a beaut.

Panth said

Lovely work there! Wonder what the cost of something like this is?

ALOT!
more than i originally thought but i new going into it, it would go over budget. restoration can be as expensive or as cheap as you want it to be depending on how much time you put in yourself or how much you pay someone to do it. i saw alot of bad bodyshops and alot of good bodyshops so make sure if you want to do it see some samples of the work, cheap isnt always good.

Back to the top
The cars back on the ramp and starting to be put back together.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.